cats56

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
in a house
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Good to see Charlie hit his straps on Sunday.

Can't believe some people wanted him dumped from the side in previous weeks as he had a late start to season and was always going to improve with game time and fitness.

Creates a difficult match up at 190cm. with his long, long arms takes a strong grab. In a year or two when he finally has a body will cause nightmare's for opposition coaches as a mobile 3rd or 4th tall and also able to pinch hit as a mobile CHF.

Still need's to improve his disposal and has a lot to learn about the game but should be a beauty young Charlie.

They are starting to play him in the correct role, finally.

He was a midfielder as a junior and whilst he doesn't have the ability to play there in the AFL, he needs to be used up the ground so that he can use his flexibility and skills below his knees.

He's never going to be a KPP. We need to use his unique strengths (midfield skill in a bigger body with marking ability) to our advantage and thus make it a difficult matchup for the opposition.

For some reason he reminds me of a certain Martin Pike with the #2 haircut.

On Charlie's game though, he presented well. We've all heard how highly the coaching staff and even fellow players (think the Scarlett puff-up piece a few seasons back) rate Charlie, but he hasn't had the chance to put it all together.

He's still a long way back from cementing a spot I'd say, but performances like these really shift him up the pecking order.

Was very pleased with Charlie on the weekend.
He had been the player I like to bag the most in recent years, but I have come to realise the versatitlity he has.
Was it just the haircut that made him look like a nutball, or has someone slapped him with a few of the old angry pills? ;)
Reminded a bit me of that little psycho over at Melbourne...Brad Miller

JUBJUB said:
He also looked taller [sounds odd].
The scary thing was that he looked like Derek Hall.Once Charlie kicked to a teammate,I realised it couldn't have been Derek Hall making a comeback. :D

LOL. I spent most of the match raking my brain trying to think of who he reminded me off. i had half the crowd around me throwing names my way as i tried to think of who it was. It wasn't until i was heading back up the highway after the game that Derek (deck the) Hall popped into my mind.

GeeCat said:
For some reason he reminds me of a certain Martin Pike with the #2 haircut.

I believe there IQ's are at the opposite ends of the spectrum with Charlie being the fortunate one....

Have been a big rap for Charlie, showed what he is capable of in the prelim last year. Which begs the question, if he is to cement a spot in the side, how will Mackie be able to force himself into the side with our current forward structure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's probably the best game that Charlie's played, equal with his performance against Port Adelaide last year. Amazing what an off-season in the weights room will do for you, isn't it? Seem to hold both his ground and his marks a lot better.

JUBJUB said:
The scary thing was that he looked like Derek Hall.Once Charlie kicked to a teammate,I realised it couldn't have been Derek Hall making a comeback. :D

I miss Derek Hall :(

Will never forget his second game for us in Footscray. Lined up at CHB, got the ball 20 odd times and kicked 2 goals.
Looked special in that game, but then again the Doggies were god awful (from memory Gazza kicked 9.6 to the Doggies 8.12).

Mackie will be right! He is a wonderful player even if he isnt beefy enough he can still hold his own!
Charlies hair looks terrible! However he did play very well against the doggies.

Phat said:

Will never forget his second game for us in Footscray. Lined up at CHB, got the ball 20 odd times and kicked 2 goals.
Looked special in that game, but then again the Doggies were god awful (from memory Gazza kicked 9.6 to the Doggies 8.12).

Was that at Whitten Oval ?
I think Baxter's dad also had a good game at CHF.

Phat said:

I may have forgot to mention this in my blog! (how stupid of me) But I saw Derek out the front the ground before the Essendon game this season. His looks haven't changed a bit :D

Phat said:

I remember that and he gave Grant a bath! From memory Leon Cameron kicked the ball straight to couch twice from fullback in that game too.

JUBJUB said:
He also looked taller [sounds odd].

Haha I thought exactly the same thing every single time he got the ball!!!

Charlie is, as has been posted, alot bigger than I thought. He's very hard to match-up on. I hope he keeps playing the way he is so he can cement his spot.

As for Mackie, he's too good to consistently be a VFL player. He will make his way back eventually. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back