Strategy Chasing Greatness Fund

Remove this Banner Ad

Asking fans to commit to debt demolition when our license is controlled buy the AFL and the AFL is screwing us on our guernsey, our time slots, our promotion on TV etc. makes it so much more difficult to want to donate.

If there was a set figure at which we would regain control of our license I couldn't open my wallet fast enough.

Right now I don't feel like there is any point when the conditions are set to stop us getting ahead.

All if will do is justify the AFL giving us less and we will end up right where we started.

Whats wrong with our timeslots?

When you only have 32k turn up to a top of the table clash on a saturday night then complaining about timeslots seems a bit rich

The more I think about it, the more this fund seems silly. As people have mentioned, it is essentially just paying the AFL for the privilege of them maybe having less sway over our club if they are feeling generous.

However, expanding on the prison bar pledge idea, the fund could be leveraged as a concrete means for Port fans to speak directly to the AFL in the only language it really understands- money. Fans pledge to wipe out Port's debt on the proviso that the AFL hand back control of the club to members i.e. a fully member elected board.

There are a lot of other things financially wrong with the status quo, including the constraints on what we wear, what we sell and what we make from gameday revenue.
But it would be difficult for a pledge to be triggered by the fulfillment of multiple clauses, and it muddies the waters on what the pledge stands for (i.e. the risk of it becoming a 'just fix everything!' fund). Further, many issues would require multiple parties at the negotiation table, some of which are actively malicious towards Port. For instance, a stadium renegotiation would involve the SANFL, SMA and the Crows.

The structure of the board, on the other hand, is completely the domain of the AFL. It is also the most fundamental reason for all other problems- those in charge of the club are not compelled to execute the will of the members, because ultimately they are not accountable to the members.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Which hill should we die on?

The prison bar issue is more emotive and would potentially be better at getting pledges onboard.
It also already has a major groundswell of support and is a visible and tangible issue for people to get behind. Is it a better issue to base a pledge around? Would the majority of people know about the board control issue? Would they care? For me though, the board control issue is bigger than the prison bars and in fact encapsulates it.

What platform would a pledge operate on, and who should be responsible for it?
This is important because if the pledge works, a lot of people's money is going to be at stake. People need to have faith that it will be executed as planned and that it is not a swindle.
Ideally the club would run it, with pledges of a certain amount triggering rewards etc. But the AFL/the club board/the AFL-controlled club board would not allow it to be run by the club, at least officially.
Would something like a GoFundMe work? Usually those are just triggered by reaching a certain dollar amount. This would need to be triggered by an agreement between the fans and the AFL, so would probably require a spokesperson or figurehead that speaks for the collective. An ex-player with either corporate or media experience would be perfect: Ginever? Fiacchi? Tredrea?

Would it even make any difference?
Member controlled clubs such as Collingwood still have disenfranchised membership bases with no real say in who gets elected or speaks for their club. Would Port be any different? Is the whole sport too far gone done the road to corporate oblivion for the concept of a club with meaningful member input to exist? Probably.

When you only have 32k turn up to a top of the table clash on a saturday night then complaining about timeslots seems a bit rich
From an exposure for sponsors point of view our tineslots suck as a rule.

It makes it harder for us to make $$.

Also the marquee games (like ANZAC day and Queens birthday) are reserved for the big Vic teams.

You can't limit the income generating ability of a team artificially and then say its up to the members to fund the shortfall.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL should share revenue far more than it does.

It's obscene that we have to fund the bloated festering inefficient corpse that is the SANFL through our stadium deal with basically no negotiation leverage while Geelong get a squeaky clean deal at Pork Barrelling Stadium and Hawthorn ruin the lives of gambling addicts so they can swim around in their pit of money like Scrooge McDuck.

Hi CD. They've take the first instalment of $30 so I assume it'll be monthly from now on.

I hope yours goes more smoothly than the true believers fund I was a member of some years back.
I also promised $30 per month, gave the club my details and then had my name printed in the club magazine in a list of other `true believers.'

The first payment was taken, but then when the 2nd instalment was due nothing happened, so I rang the club checked the transaction details were correct, was told something along the lines of we don't know how that was missed, and can we take 2 payments next month to catch up? to which I agreed.
The next month nothing happened again, so another phone call to the club and another apology, but again no instalment taken the next month, so after 4 months of being dicked around I put it in the too hard basket.

32k against the Bulldogs is still quite good. It is also the third largest crowd the Bulldogs have played in front of this year (outside of Collingwood & Richmond) and is 10k more than the Bulldogs home average even after you dismiss their Ballarat game. Its almost as if the Bulldogs just don't pull a crowd, yet somehow its Ports fault only 32k rocked up.

32k against the Bulldogs is still quite good. It is also the third largest crowd the Bulldogs have played in front of this year (outside of Collingwood & Richmond) and is 10k more than the Bulldogs home average even after you dismiss their Ballarat game. Its almost as if the Bulldogs just don't pull a crowd, yet somehow its Ports fault only 32k rocked up.

Bulldogs had a fair contingent there on Saturday. I wouldn’t be blaming them for the crowd.

I was surprised how sparse the crowd was. Perfect conditions for a night game.

The AFL should share revenue far more than it does.

It's obscene that we have to fund the bloated festering inefficient corpse that is the SANFL through our stadium deal with basically no negotiation leverage while Geelong get a squeaky clean deal at Pork Barrelling Stadium and Hawthorn ruin the lives of gambling addicts so they can swim around in their pit of money like Scrooge McDuck.
And when the Vic clubs had a shitty deal at Marvel they bought it out so they could make it better.

Surely post covid would be a prime time to buy out a struggling SANFL and get things right if they were serious about a strong National competition.

People will say that the SANFL won't sell but for enough $$ they would sell their own mother and the AFL can afford it, even if it is overs.

@REH what would be the logistics of someone setting up a chasing self determination fund where people could pledge but have it only collected upon when we get self determination and the bars?

Would it be costly to set up or could anyone do it?

It would be the best next natural step for the BBTB campaign IMO.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
It's not just us, crowds are down across the board all over the league at the moment. COVID effects are being felt everywhere, increased capacity or not.

We're actually second in the league for home crowd sizes against interstate teams this year, only behind the juggernaut that is West Coast. We're doing fine crowds wise.

It's not just us, crowds are down across the board all over the league at the moment. COVID effects are being felt everywhere, increased capacity or not.

We're actually second in the league for home crowd sizes against interstate teams this year, only behind the juggernaut that is West Coast. We're doing fine crowds wise.

Yeah, only Port could average higher crowds than the Crows (honestly, who thought this would happen in our lifetimes — Freo will never achieve that milestone over WCE) and still cop criticism for not packing in more.

Discretionary spending is down across the board, most business owners will tell you this unless they work in an industry being propped up by government stimulus. People are saving money due to uncertainty, cost of housing and rent is going up which swallows up more of people's pay cheque.

In football specific terms, there is less interstate travel for games and a small number who would be scared of catching covid in a big crowd.

All things considered, our crowds have been very good.

Bulldogs had a fair contingent there on Saturday. I wouldn’t be blaming them for the crowd.

I was surprised how sparse the crowd was. Perfect conditions for a night game.

The fancy seats were the most empty too.

Yeah, only Port could average higher crowds than the Crows (honestly, who thought this would happen in our lifetimes — Freo will never achieve that milestone over WCE) and still cop criticism for not packing in more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

continuing the off-topic "crowds" discussion, after a few years of being an 11 game member, last year reminded me that maybe it's ok to skip 3 or 4 games a year and when you have to plan the weekend around more important (not always more interesting) events, just cherry pick the better games.

for instance I missed the bulldogs game even though I had planned on going up until 6.30 that night because I was simply drinking with friends (by the time I realised it was too late to get there it was after 9pm and plus I couldn't stand up at the time) and I'll be skipping the fremantle game because I'm Mister Taxi Dad

I'm not sure my experiences and attitudes are typical, nor unusual though

Yeah, nah I have a major issue with this. Clearly there is some financial management issues at the club requesting more donations from paid up members to help fund expansion of the club and reduce debt.

As it is I spend $970.00 on memberships per year plus merchandise. I also pledged my full membership last year out of good faith. When the bistro was running at the club, my partner and I would go there to have a meal during our away matches. I feel that I have done enough to support my club from a financial standpoint.

Not sure if other people on this forum feels the same way?

you're not alone. we are endlessly fighting a losing battle. only natural for people to mentally check out after X many years.

Because we should be represented in the national women's competition. Young people should be able to aspire to play for their club, whatever their gender. There will be some goodwill associated with having a AFLW team and conversely it doesn't reflect well on us not having one. Additional funding from AFL/sponsors.
I agree but it's just weird timing... We get an email that we are $13M in debt and need the supporters help and yet we are starting up a new team for a league that doesn't generate a lot of money.... Doesn't make sence to me.

Last edited:
AFL will fund the women's team, plus it increases our value to sponsors and members, which will then increase our revenue potential.

That's not even counting the govt $$ we can then access. (if there's any left)

AFL will fund the women's team, plus it increases our value to sponsors and members, which will then increase our revenue potential.

And increase our chances for government funding to upgrade facilities for women’s sport

Yeah, the irony of us attempting to be fiscally responsible by chasing China instead, when the whole thing has been a fully-subsidised gravy train for the Adelaides and Collingwoods 🤪

3rd highest crowd of the week - and one of the higher two were between 2 Vic clubs.

Richmond on Saturday night pulled a little over 18k at Marvel. Don't spare me the BS "but it was at Marvel" crap - it is just as easily accessible as the G and with their supposed grand membership base, they should be damn well near selling out every home game regardless of the venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back