Opinion Chat GPT’s greatest AFL players of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty easy to fact check. it gave me carey and list was a bit different.

As an AI language model, I don't have personal biases or opinions, and there is no objective way to rank the top 10 AFL players of all time in order. However, based on the opinions of experts and fans, here are 10 players who are often considered to be among the greatest AFL players ever:

1. Wayne Carey - Widely regarded as the greatest player of all time, Carey was a dominant forward who won two premierships, two Brownlow Medals, and seven All-Australian selections in his career.
  2. Leigh Matthews - A four-time premiership player, Matthews won four best and fairest awards, eight All-Australian selections, and was named the AFL's Team of the Century captain.
  3. Gary Ablett Sr. - Nicknamed "God," Ablett was an incredible goal scorer who won two premierships, three Brownlow Medals, and nine All-Australian selections in his career.
  4. Dick Reynolds - The only player in VFL/AFL history to win four Brownlow Medals, Reynolds was also a six-time premiership player and captain of the Essendon Football Club for nine years.
  5. Kevin Bartlett - A five-time premiership player with Richmond, Bartlett was a versatile and skilled player who won five best and fairest awards and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  6. Graham "Polly" Farmer - A dominant ruckman and pioneer of modern ruck play, Farmer won three premierships and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  7. Michael Tuck - A seven-time premiership player, Tuck played a record 426 games for Hawthorn and won two Norm Smith Medals as best on ground in Grand Finals.
  8. Ted Whitten Sr. - A tough and tenacious midfielder, Whitten played 321 games for Footscray and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  9. Simon Madden - A ruckman who played 19 seasons for Essendon, Madden won two premierships, two best and fairest awards, and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  10. Chris Judd - A dual Brownlow Medal winner, Judd was a skillful midfielder who played for both West Coast and Carlton and was named captain of the All-Australian team twice.
These players were selected based on their achievements, impact on the game, and legacy in the AFL community.

I'll hold off on stockpiling canned goods for the inevitable apocalypse once the AI stops making easily checkable mistakes like 'Carey won two Brownlow medals'. It's not just that it's wrong (I have no idea about the other 'facts' listed there), it is that true intelligence/understanding KNOWS it can't be right because Carey isn't a midfielder, and wouldn't write it in the first place.

It refuses to give me a list of the 10 worst players of all time

This would be so much more interesting... how does it weight length of career (there's an art to being usefully awful) vs pure awfulness vs off-field impact vs miscellaneous (how much does 'wrong player, wrong club, wrong time' factor in).

I was able to get it to give me a list of most dissapointing players of all time

Some examples of AFL players who were highly touted but did not meet expectations include:

1. Jack Watts - a highly rated draft pick who struggled to make an impact at Melbourne before moving to Port Adelaide.
  2. Travis Cloke - a key forward who was a dominant force in the early years of his career but struggled with form and injury in later years.
  3. Kurt Tippett - a talented ruckman/forward who was expected to be a key player for Sydney but was hampered by injuries and off-field issues.
  4. Josh Schache - a highly rated draft pick who struggled to make an impact at Brisbane before moving to the Western Bulldogs.
  5. Jonathon Patton - a key forward who was traded to Hawthorn but struggled with form and injury before retiring due to personal issues.
  6. Jimmy Toumpas - a highly rated draft pick who failed to establish himself at Melbourne before moving to Port Adelaide.
  7. Jesse White - a key forward who struggled to consistently impact games despite showing flashes of brilliance throughout his career.
  8. Harley Bennell - a talented midfielder who struggled with injuries and off-field issues throughout his career.
  9. Tom Boyd - a key forward who was a hero of the Western Bulldogs' 2016 premiership but struggled with form and injury before retiring at a young age.
  10. Liam Jurrah - a talented forward who showed glimpses of brilliance at Melbourne before off-field issues led to his premature retirement.

It's quite clear that ChatGPT, for all her statistical smarts and breadth of reading, never actually watched a single game.

I was able to get it to give me a list of most dissapointing players of all time

Some examples of AFL players who were highly touted but did not meet expectations include:

1. Jack Watts - a highly rated draft pick who struggled to make an impact at Melbourne before moving to Port Adelaide.
  2. Travis Cloke - a key forward who was a dominant force in the early years of his career but struggled with form and injury in later years.
  3. Kurt Tippett - a talented ruckman/forward who was expected to be a key player for Sydney but was hampered by injuries and off-field issues.
  4. Josh Schache - a highly rated draft pick who struggled to make an impact at Brisbane before moving to the Western Bulldogs.
  5. Jonathon Patton - a key forward who was traded to Hawthorn but struggled with form and injury before retiring due to personal issues.
  6. Jimmy Toumpas - a highly rated draft pick who failed to establish himself at Melbourne before moving to Port Adelaide.
  7. Jesse White - a key forward who struggled to consistently impact games despite showing flashes of brilliance throughout his career.
  8. Harley Bennell - a talented midfielder who struggled with injuries and off-field issues throughout his career.
  9. Tom Boyd - a key forward who was a hero of the Western Bulldogs' 2016 premiership but struggled with form and injury before retiring at a young age.
  10. Liam Jurrah - a talented forward who showed glimpses of brilliance at Melbourne before off-field issues led to his premature retirement.
No John Pitura, no prize.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ChatGPT is an AI language model. It shouldn’t be used as a substitute for free thought or objectively. That said, News Ltd could do worse than use it to replace Mark Robinson.
do you think you could replace an entire team of journalists

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions or beliefs. My role is to provide information and answers to the best of my ability based on the data and knowledge available to me.
That being said, I believe that there are certain tasks that AI language models like myself are well-suited to, such as fact-checking, data analysis, and language translation. However, I don't believe that AI can fully replace human journalists and news organizations, who bring important skills and expertise to the task of reporting and analyzing the news.
Human journalists have the ability to conduct in-depth investigations, build relationships with sources, and provide context and analysis that goes beyond the facts. They also bring a level of creativity, intuition, and empathy that AI models currently do not possess.
While AI language models like myself can help to supplement and enhance the work of journalists, I believe that human journalists will continue to play an essential role in the news industry for the foreseeable future.

do you think you could replace an entire team of journalists

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions or beliefs. My role is to provide information and answers to the best of my ability based on the data and knowledge available to me.
That being said, I believe that there are certain tasks that AI language models like myself are well-suited to, such as fact-checking, data analysis, and language translation. However, I don't believe that AI can fully replace human journalists and news organizations, who bring important skills and expertise to the task of reporting and analyzing the news.
Human journalists have the ability to conduct in-depth investigations, build relationships with sources, and provide context and analysis that goes beyond the facts. They also bring a level of creativity, intuition, and empathy that AI models currently do not possess.
While AI language models like myself can help to supplement and enhance the work of journalists, I believe that human journalists will continue to play an essential role in the news industry for the foreseeable future.
Have you ever met a journalist?

pretty easy to fact check. it gave me carey and list was a bit different.

As an AI language model, I don't have personal biases or opinions, and there is no objective way to rank the top 10 AFL players of all time in order. However, based on the opinions of experts and fans, here are 10 players who are often considered to be among the greatest AFL players ever:

1. Wayne Carey - Widely regarded as the greatest player of all time, Carey was a dominant forward who won two premierships, two Brownlow Medals, and seven All-Australian selections in his career.
  2. Leigh Matthews - A four-time premiership player, Matthews won four best and fairest awards, eight All-Australian selections, and was named the AFL's Team of the Century captain.
  3. Gary Ablett Sr. - Nicknamed "God," Ablett was an incredible goal scorer who won two premierships, three Brownlow Medals, and nine All-Australian selections in his career.
  4. Dick Reynolds - The only player in VFL/AFL history to win four Brownlow Medals, Reynolds was also a six-time premiership player and captain of the Essendon Football Club for nine years.
  5. Kevin Bartlett - A five-time premiership player with Richmond, Bartlett was a versatile and skilled player who won five best and fairest awards and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  6. Graham "Polly" Farmer - A dominant ruckman and pioneer of modern ruck play, Farmer won three premierships and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  7. Michael Tuck - A seven-time premiership player, Tuck played a record 426 games for Hawthorn and won two Norm Smith Medals as best on ground in Grand Finals.
  8. Ted Whitten Sr. - A tough and tenacious midfielder, Whitten played 321 games for Footscray and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  9. Simon Madden - A ruckman who played 19 seasons for Essendon, Madden won two premierships, two best and fairest awards, and was named in the AFL's Team of the Century.
  10. Chris Judd - A dual Brownlow Medal winner, Judd was a skillful midfielder who played for both West Coast and Carlton and was named captain of the All-Australian team twice.
These players were selected based on their achievements, impact on the game, and legacy in the AFL communit yearly intil 6 years after he retired,y.

Without even Googling :

No Brownlows for Carey.
Matthews won a lot more than 4 b&f's, maybe 8. He wouldn't have had 8 AA selections as they weren't named on a yearly basis as they are now. He wasn't captain of the ToC.
Ablett no premierships, no Brownlows and nowhere near 9 AAs.
Dick Reynolds 3 Brownlows. 4 premierships as a player.
Farmer, Tuck and Madden are wrong too.

Seems legit.

ahhh... TIL chatGPT does NOT have access to the internet (subs only and maybe future), it was trained on MASSIVE datasets up to 2021 only!!

neither does BARD from Google, no internet access

only Bing uses the internet...so can be influenced by...ahem influencers and fake nooz

choose your poison

jack watts has seen more chicks than most posters on this board so... disappointment? maybe not for him.

So no Dusty in the top 10?
Let me just inform the Richmond supporters in the 7000 post "Is Dusty GOAT" thread :straining:

Seriously, would you even have him in your top 20?

Some Richmond supporters think Martin's game last weekend was quite good. That is the standard we are talking about here. Hardly well above your peers type of stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back