Universal Love Chats or quotes from your Favourite Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I would start a thread to bring out some memories of this great club of ours.

So the premise is to share some of the chats or quotes you have had or heard from your favourite or any other Hawthorn player.

I will go first. Mine is from my Favourite player in Peter Knights Hawthorn Legend

Me: So happy to meet and shake your hand Peter. You are my favourite player. I had two heroes growing up You and Superman

Knights: Oh thanks but I wouldn't think you would be old enough to remember me.

Me: Hmmm can you please have a chat to my wife she seems to think i am an old codger.

Knights: Where is she I will set her straight.

Me: Getting the phone out now... (Joke)

He was a mercurial player a real x factor and the sort of player we need in this years draft. So get on it lets see some more as the draft approaches

Hawks v North at Docklands.... I think early 2008.

On a cricket trip weekend, watching game in Medallion Club with a few of the crew on trip. Guy next to me is full blown Nth Melbourne. Sitting behind us is Dennis Pagan.

Mate and Dennis are chatting a bit during half time (mate is one of those gift of the gab blokes who will approach anyone so happy to strike up a convo with Pagan).

Come 3/4 time North up by about 3 goals and convo goes:-

Mate: what do ya reckon Dennis? Hang on from here?
Pagan: all over mate, they're not coming back.
MinerBoy (pissed...it's a cricket trip): *en kidding yaself, we've got plenty left.
.... little bit of banter ensues.

Hawks and Buddy light up last quarter and run out victors by a few goals in the end.

MinerBoy (turning to Pages at siren): ha see I told ya.
Pagan:..... (never hears as he's already half way down the ramp and exiting).

Not a Hawks person in convo, but Hawks related. Never get sick of reliving it with my mate.

Edit: funny as I now YouTube the highlights of that last quarter that Gibbo (on Buddy) and Hale (on Rough) both gave away frees for our first 2 goals in the last. They were already working for us. #insidejob

Last edited:

Another one that i just remembered

Box Hill City oval Sep 13, 2010 Semi final vs North Ballarat

I turned to a fellow Box Hill watcher at the time and exclaimed

"Who the * is this guy"

I got my answer in the 2010 draft...

Round 1 Pick 19 Hawthorn selects Isaac Smith North Ballarat

wheelie_hawk

Senior List
Oct 7, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Me 6yrs old (1988): so excited to meet you Scott, you're a great player, Mrs Maginness is my favourite teacher!
Scott: Well you're half right, thank you that's very kind, who else do you love at the hawks.
Me: Just you I'm still learning about the game.
Scott: Excellent it's a fabulous sport, enjoy!
Me: Thanks I will!

This conversation helped cement my obsession with the hawks, afl, and later sport in general. I hope someday to meet Finn and tell him how much his Grandma influenced my life and put me on a journey of self discovery, learning, endless passion and obsession. I'm forever grateful that I was in Mrs Maginness' class, she was kind, wise and utterly in love with all things Hawthorn. She was a perfect roll model for a young disabled kid from a frighteningly unsporting family. I know she'd be so proud of Finn. I'm loving his journey, Thank you Mrs Maginness and Scott, your family still influence me to this day.

Last edited:
17th April 1976. Princes Park. Hawthorn V Collingwood. We arrived late due to my father's work commitments.

So we missed the first ten or fifteen minutes or so, so I could fill out the footy record.

In the change rooms after the game while collecting autographs, a conversation went like this:

Me: Michael, how many goals did you kick today?
Michael Moncrieff: Ten mate.

Gold.

At Box Hill...some time around 2009, I think

A few senior Hawks are in the coaches box...Mark Williams is getting into a little bit of argy-bargy on field.

Trent Croad opens the window "Hit him with your dong!"

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me in a game us V Carltank not long after the Jon Doritich incident.

"Your a w***er Doritich"
champagne-comedy-com-13619812.png

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was in the rooms after training as a kid at Glenferrie. Was sitting down talking to Russell Greene when a footy came flying at my head. Greene punched it away and said "saved your life"
Then signed my jumper and said "you're the only kid in Melbourne with number 29 on his back"
Never forgot it. Would have been about 10 years old.

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was in the rooms after training as a kid at Glenferrie. Was sitting down talking to Russell Greene when a footy came flying at my head. Greene punched it away and said "saved your life"
Then signed my jumper and said "you're the only kid in Melbourne with number 29 on his back"
Never forgot it. Would have been about 10 years old.
I loved Russell Greene
I used to share a house with David King, who was my school mate back at Assumption College
One night Russell rang looking for Kingy, who wasn’t home yet
When I told him I was a Hawk supporter he spoke with me for a good half hour on all things Hawthorn
Was the best phone conversation and I’ll never forget it
Truly awesome guy

I loved Russell Greene
I used to share a house with David King, who was my school mate back at Assumption College
One night Russell rang looking for Kingy, who wasn’t home yet
When I told him I was a Hawk supporter he spoke with me for a good half hour on all things Hawthorn
Was the best phone conversation and I’ll never forget it
Truly awesome guy
Completely different circumstances but my bro (HFC supporter, obviously) got handed a phone a couple of years back & found himself talking to Dipper.

He thanked Dipper for his contribution to the Club & Dipper was happy to chat for a half hour about HFC & footy in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back