Universal Love Chats or quotes from your Favourite Players

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I loved Russell Greene
I used to share a house with David King, who was my school mate back at Assumption College
One night Russell rang looking for Kingy, who wasn’t home yet
When I told him I was a Hawk supporter he spoke with me for a good half hour on all things Hawthorn
Was the best phone conversation and I’ll never forget it
Truly awesome guy
Yeah my mum knew him from work. That's why I got the number 29 as a kid!

So this isn't a hawthorn thing, but worth sharing.

After cyclone Yasi, a number of celebrities came to Tully to lift the spirits of a community that had lost pretty much everything. (we did). One of them was Damien Martyn who took a few photos with one of my sons and signed his shirt, my son is a mad cricket fan (and of course Hawks fan). He chatted to us about the cyclone and our experience. We told him one of the things that we were using to get through the night was updates from my brother on the current match between Australia and England. England had scored 333 and Australia brought Mitchell Johnson in at #4 as a pinch hitter which came off.

(The scorecard)

Martyn wasn't sure which game until my son described it with the Johnson up the order... They started talking about the game (we hadn't seen it as power had only just been restored 6 weeks afterwards when the celebs came) Martyn was so impressed with his knowledge of the game, he took down our number and other contact details. A month or so later, a signed cricket bat came in the mail with his contact details and his sister's contact details should need to get in touch as his sister was stable but he was everywhere.

How good is that.

1609427325369.png

1609427363359.png

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So this isn't a hawthorn thing, but worth sharing.

After cyclone Yasi, a number of celebrities came to Tully to lift the spirits of a community that had lost pretty much everything. (we did). One of them was Damien Martyn who took a few photos with one of my sons and signed his shirt, my son is a mad cricket fan (and of course Hawks fan). He chatted to us about the cyclone and our experience. We told him one of the things that we were using to get through the night was updates from my brother on the current match between Australia and England. England had scored 333 and Australia brought Mitchell Johnson in at #4 as a pinch hitter which came off.

(The scorecard)

Martyn wasn't sure which game until my son described it with the Johnson up the order... They started talking about the game (we hadn't seen it as power had only just been restored 6 weeks afterwards when the celebs came) Martyn was so impressed with his knowledge of the game, he took down our number and other contact details. A month or so later, a signed cricket bat came in the mail with his contact details and his sister's contact details should need to get in touch as his sister was stable but he was everywhere.

How good is that.

View attachment 1034374

View attachment 1034375
Wow great story , have heard he is a good fella

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Spoke to Tony Hall on the phone for a school project all those years ago and was an absolute gentleman. He said he wanted to play out his career at Hawthorn at the time and at least get to a hundred games as his knees were shot after the injury . He answered all the questions with aplomb, without a hint of arrogance and wished me all the best. Seemed genuinely approachable.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Also met Brian lake at a pre season game in 2013 at Craigieburn against North. He hadn't yet played a game for hawks and was just walking around the oval. He took time to take photos with my son's , was very friendly and when I asked whether he'd be ready for round 1 he lies without hesitation and said " yep, ready to go by Rd 1" LoL...

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Spoke to Tony Hall on the phone for a school project all those years ago and was an absolute gentleman. He said he wanted to play out his career at Hawthorn at the time and at least get to a hundred games as his knees were shot after the injury . He answered all the questions with aplomb, without a hint of arrogance and wished me all the best. Seemed genuinely approachable.
From memory he worked part time for Puma as a sales rep too. Seemed like a quality bloke.

Back