Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Fog shepherded a goal through, guess what happens if he didn’t ;)
Also took a nice one hander
:p
People are also underestimating Jonas as a defender.
But happy to give him a spell.
I don't get the constant defence you mount for him.

He was trash.

I'm not defending Jones.

I don't get the constant defence you mount for him.

He was trash.

I'm not defending Jones.
I just don’t get difference between the two really except on gets far harsher treatment and plays a far harder position.
It’s no different to your constant defense on Jones.
He was worse than Fogarty last night in every way, yet you’ve said Fogarty was trash.

I just don’t get difference between the two really except on gets far harsher treatment and plays a far harder position.
I think Jones gets plenty of harsh (warranted) treatment and has since his drafting.

People keep making excuses for Fog, but that's done now. Gollant made him look 2nd rate

Time for the SANFL, I’m not writing him off yet but I don’t think him getting 10-15 touches at HB is going to do much for his development. Let him actually get some of the ball at SANFL and see if he gets a bit more confidence with it. Last night was a droppable offence.

Chayce has some great attributes. His kicking technique is very good and appears very strong through the core, also has courage in spades.

Unfortunately his lack of confidence and low IQ is evident. He has no idea when to stay with his man and when to leave him and hit the contest.

He definitely showed he’s capable last year, but we need a number 9 draft pick to be a bit more than capable, and at this stage it appears he’ll never be more than that.

Watching the Pies game last night and Quaynor is exactly what I would be hoping Jones would look like off half back. Exact same height, build and age. Quaynor though knows exactly where to go and how to get cheap ball. Jones looks far to preoccupied with his opponent not getting it, and when he does finally get it, he looks petrified of making a mistake.

To my eyes it looks like a classic case of being over coached and having to many “team rules” floating around in his head. He was the same when he played in the guts, put way to much time into his opponent and forgot to hunt the ball himself.

Watching the Pies game last night and Quaynor is exactly what I would be hoping Jones would look like off half back. Exact same height, build and age. Quaynor though knows exactly where to go and how to get cheap ball. Jones looks far to preoccupied with his opponent not getting it, and when he does finally get it, he looks petrified of making a mistake.

To my eyes it looks like a classic case of being over coached and having to many “team rules” floating around in his head. He was the same when he played in the guts, put way to much time into his opponent and forgot to hunt the ball himself.
Unfortunately the AFL game is very structured.

Qyanor would be operating in the same kind of structured play. He learnt how to use his attributes in the structure

Can't just have 18 guys running around playing their "natural game" in isolation to the other 17.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see the logic. Jones blindly hack kicks out of defence under the slightest pressure and that's what our senior midfielders do too.

Problem is that shouldn't be what our midfielders do every single time.
Last year he used his elite pace to get space and allow him more time to kick out of defensive 50, he is actually a very good kick on both side. He hit the ball at pace from the center a few times in the last quarter but proceeded to fumble the ball when he got first hand to the ball, cleanly gather those and no one would have been able to chase him down entering 50m.

Unfortunately the AFL game is very structured.

Qyanor would be operating in the same kind of structured play. He learnt how to use his attributes in the structure

Can't just have 18 guys running around playing their "natural game" in isolation to the other 17.

Fair, but I always go back to what Bill Belichek tells his scouts

"Tell me what the guy can do, don't tell me what he can't do, and we'll find a way to use that positive skill set and not ask him to be in a position where he can fail”

As a coaching group, from the outside anyway, it seems we spend far too much time concentrating on what a player can’t do, and trying to change it, then concentrating on what they can do, and using that to maximum effect. My two cents anyway.

Time for a spell. He looks lost and his DE is woeful for a back six player.

Hamill, Davis or McPherson to come in.

Not happy with Brown letting a plodder like Mayes have five shots at goal either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for a spell. He looks lost and his DE is woeful for a back six player.

Hamill, Davis or McPherson to come in.

Not happy with Brown letting a plodder like Mayes have five shots at goal either.
I rather McPherson replace Brown, its a like for like for leg speed

If Jones has a spell then Hamil is the man, love his pace

What I dont want is McPherson comes in for Jones, replacing someone with genuine speed with a player that has average leg speed

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fog shepherded a goal through, guess what happens if he didn’t ;)
Also took a nice one hander
:p
People are also underestimating Jonas as a defender.
But happy to give him a spell.

You need over 100 games experience before posters will support you based on taking the best defender, playing a role that helps others perform etc etc.

Fair, but I always go back to what Bill Belichek tells his scouts

"Tell me what the guy can do, don't tell me what he can't do, and we'll find a way to use that positive skill set and not ask him to be in a position where he can fail”

As a coaching group, from the outside anyway, it seems we spend far too much time concentrating on what a player can’t do, and trying to change it, then concentrating on what they can do, and using that to maximum effect. My two cents anyway.
We did.

HB.

He can play the game straight up and down and that suits his skillset.

Exactly what Belichek philosophy is.

Jones does not have the skillset to be an AFL mid, but could be a good HB. I think he is in a form slump now. Still think he is AA calibre HB.

Darcy Byrnes Jones is an AA.

Last year he used his elite pace to get space and allow him more time to kick out of defensive 50, he is actually a very good kick on both side. He hit the ball at pace from the center a few times in the last quarter but proceeded to fumble the ball when he got first hand to the ball, cleanly gather those and no one would have been able to chase him down entering 50m.

I still have his burst from the centre a couple of years ago burned into my brain as a reminder of what we wanted him to be. But right now he ain't showing that class.

I still have his burst from the centre a couple of years ago burned into my brain as a reminder of what we wanted him to be. But right now he ain't showing that class.
He is too focus on his opponent when playing in the midfield so doesn't use his nature instinct to get the ball and then use his elite pace to his advantage since no one will be able to catch him.

It is worth remembering that Jones form last year in the AFL spiked upwards after surviving the axe off a similarly poor game.
Let’s not put on our rose coloured glasses regarding Jones’s form last year. He played several very solid games and a bunch of ok ones… and we were all thrilled with that considering he rebounded from a truly horrendous run of form in the SANFL where he had one game in which he only picked up 3-4 possessions playing off half back and on the ball. We thought and hoped that maybe those games were the building blocks on which he could build a dependable AFL career.

But he has started off this year well below what is required at AFL level, and surely all but the most optimistic amongst us think he could become anything more than a solid contributor at AFL level. Any suggestion that he could become an AA is, at this point in time, laughable. He’s nowhere near it at the moment and I think he doesn’t warrant a spot in the side. I hope he proves me wrong, coz getting a top ten draft pick totally wrong is not what the club needs during a rebuild.

I rather McPherson replace Brown, its a like for like for leg speed

If Jones has a spell then Hamil is the man, love his pace

What I dont want is McPherson comes in for Jones, replacing someone with genuine speed with a player that has average leg speed

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Speed means nothing if you can’t football… and Jones is looking more and more like he’s not great at footballing.

Let’s not put on our rose coloured glasses regarding Jones’s form last year. He played several very solid games and a bunch of ok ones… and we were all thrilled with that considering he rebounded from a truly horrendous run of form in the SANFL where he had one game in which he only picked up 3-4 possessions playing off half back and on the ball. We thought and hoped that maybe those games were the building blocks on which he could build a dependable AFL career.

But he has started off this year well below what is required at AFL level, and surely all but the most optimistic amongst us think he could become anything more than a solid contributor at AFL level. Any suggestion that he could become an AA is, at this point in time, laughable. He’s nowhere near it at the moment and I think he doesn’t warrant a spot in the side. I hope he proves me wrong, coz getting a top ten draft pick totally wrong is not what the club needs during a rebuild.

Yup, he did, and he responded well last time after a horrifically bad game. He does have a habit of this unfortunately, still he's decently young and he has some time to figure s**t out before it gets to a point where we need to make a call whether to persist or not. It helps Milera had a mare in the SANFL, and it's questionable if Parnell is ready just yet.

The club will survive getting a top 10 pick wrong. Heck, it'll survive multiple. Melbourne, Brisbane, and whatever other team you can think of all have skeletons in their closest with top 10 draft picks in the lead-up to kicking out of a rebuild. The key is to smash it out of the park when you do get it right.

We drafted him in a superdraft as a midfielder. Putting him in defence gave him confidence but it can only be brief. It was to get his confidence up. Keeping him there too long will do the opposite. So move him now.

Ok I’ll admit I’ve celebrated hard. ?75 at early stages of the the last he charged and he charged hard and we need a charger.

He has a good enough leg if he can get the ball right he might not be a bust.
He ain't no midfielder, actually he ain't no footballer. I hope he joins the Tassie team tbh. He is a panic merchant and makes dumb errors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back