Chayce Jones in defence - stepping stone or final destination?

Where will Chayce play predominantly in the long term?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely agree with this. Temporary residence. It may last 2-3 years but long term, he will be a midfielder.

I am amazed just how quickly people jump off players, especially after a bad season. This time last year, Jones,Walker et al should have been delisted or not getting any games as they are done. This year it seems to be McAsey’s and Hately’s turn.

In reality we did Jones a major disservice for the first 2 years on our list. We played him in the graveyard as a HFF where he was not involved in the game much then we threw him into the midfield and he just looked awful. Confidence was down, just awful….badly down on confidence and form but NOT talent.

We settled him down at HBF for this year, he could see the game unfold in front of him, straight line running and all of a sudden he can use his pace and before you knew it, the confidence was up. He will spend a couple of years at HBF developing his craft and rolling through the midfield on occasions before making it a more permanent position.

Still has the attributes to be a gun midfielder. Speed and power albeit as a small midfielder.
It would be nice if our midfield developed so well Jones couldn't fit in and he became as good as a Salem at HB.
It would be worth running him through the midfield late next year or 2023.

hugecannon

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I'm just putting this out here but when Macpherson let his hair grow out in that stupid half curly mullet abomination, his football went backwards. As soon as ( hopefully Nicksy demanded this) he went back to a more sensible short back and sides, his game flourished.

If we have room in our soft cap, I'd like to see us bring a full time barber on board, an old fashioned one that only has clippers, no scissors and the type who would listen to what you wanted but would give you a short back and sides anyway because that was all that was taught at his barber school
I believe one of our mods has some theories about this very subject ………

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm just putting this out here but when Macpherson let his hair grow out in that stupid half curly mullet abomination, his football went backwards. As soon as ( hopefully Nicksy demanded this) he went back to a more sensible short back and sides, his game flourished.

If we have room in our soft cap, I'd like to see us bring a full time barber on board, an old fashioned one that only has clippers, no scissors and the type who would listen to what you wanted but would give you a short back and sides anyway because that was all that was taught at his barber school

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? alias everyone. 2 tragics for cricket and single colour short back and sides. Case is fully rested.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

I am in furious agreement with this post

Hobos don't play football

NTRabbit

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, 76ers, Royals
Is there a possibility he could be a tagger or play on opposition half backs ?

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

He plays defensively on opposition small forwards, and did for much the season, he never lined up as a loose or attacking back flanker. So yes he probably could, but not sure why we would.

CroCrow

Draftee
Sep 12, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Final destination. He doesn't have the football brain to play AFL midfield, too task oriented, too straight lined and lacking in peripheral vision with ball in hand to even play as a half back flanker let alone the centre square, he's much more suited to playing back pocket as demonstrated this year. He's the surprise long term Luke Brown replacement who will push out the presumed, but ultimately disappointing, replacement in McPherson.
People are over rating his backline performances because it's almost like they're praying one of that crop of draftees turns into a success. As a supporter who sits behind the goals in the last row I get a great view of defenders and to be honest all the issues mentioned above are also visible in the backline also especially when it's a congested backline . Personally I think he will be delisted in the next few years as much as I'd like that not to be the case . An unnatural footballer

Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
People are over rating his backline performances because it's almost like they're praying one of that crop of draftees turns into a success. As a supporter who sits behind the goals in the last row I get a great view of defenders and to be honest all the issues mentioned above are also visible in the backline also especially when it's a congested backline . Personally I think he will be delisted in the next few years as much as I'd like that not to be the case . An unnatural footballer

You don't need a natural footballer to play a shutdown role, should the back pocket end up being Chayces calling.

Especially as it's another way for us to add pace and another good ball user to our backline, and how low value the position is, he'll end up having a long career if he settles there (because it's just not worth upgrading). Of course, it'd be an absolute waste of time for us to do that at this juncture, seeing that's a last resort role.

Crow till I die

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pick 9 on a back pocket would be an epic fail even if he turns out to be a good player
Disagree...plenty of players picked with a higher pick than him across drafts have failed as players and end up been delisted before they even make a spot their own, if he ends up being a very good back pocket, at least he has forged a good AFL career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George Kramer

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Disagree...plenty of players picked with a higher pick than him across drafts have failed as players and end up been delisted before they even make a spot their own, if he ends up being a very good back pocket, at least he has forged a good AFL career
Yes and they are fails too but Jones isn't as big.

If you went into that draft and said we are going to draft a back pocket at pick 9 what would have been the reaction?

Crow till I die

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

If you went into that draft and said we are going to draft a back pocket at pick 9 what would have been the reaction?
It is not as simple in my mind. We all hope for the best but you also have to plan for the worst. Drafting is not an exact science hence why you get players picked in the teens, 20's 30's etc rookie draft that out perform high end 1st round picks. The art is to ensure you get the right kids so they are not complete busts

Another way to look at Chayce was we hoped he would be that top end mid we all want, but if his actual ceiling is as a very good small defender, I will live with that. Its just good that he has more strings to his bow than just being a possible failed mid - he CAN play another role which ultimately gets him a tick in my eyes

BIG DAN 99

Draftee
Oct 13, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SANFL Roosters
I'm not sure he makes it as an AFL player yet either, it was good to see him improve in the 2nd half of the season but he still didn't do much, with Dawson Milera Sholl Hammil Smith Seedsman and McPherson all looking to play wing or half back will Jones keep his spot in the team? He'll need to improve on this season and get involved more and use his run and kicking skills coming out of defence. I think he's just ahead of Hammil and just behind McPherson and Sholl and probably only 5 maybe 6 of those 7 players play in the same team at once so he's under pressure to hold his spot

Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
Drafts are full of surprises, when you look at them years later. I don’t really think you could call anything beyond pick 5 an ‘epic fail’.

You certainly can, it just requires a player to be delisted without firing a shot.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
#Bookmark

Bearded Clam

Premium Platinum
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg,
HB for the time being but start throwing him in the CB’s/mid for a 5 minute burst here and there from R1 next year.

the lad has more speed and better skills and decision making in his little finger than the kick and hope, skyball panic merchants like keays and lairdy.

and for christsake.. keep Godden away from him. Godden’s stupidity is the reason the lad chased the man and not the ball for all those games in 2019/20 and ended up completely lost which drained his confidence. And glad pykes gone too, hated how he played chayce. These two knobs should both be gone, not just pyke.

when the lad is left to play his natural game his class comes to the fore. Nicksy and the lads have managed to build the kids confidence back up and he has found a nice little spot there at HB but he’s got too much class to let him stay there… would love to see him and lairdy swap in another season or two.. lairdy back to HB for his twilight years and Chayce into the mid fulltime after a year or two of short bursts in there.

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Jones is an interesting one. For me, there’s a few things:

1) the potential he showed as a two-way guy in a back pocket/off a flank, both as a rebounder and as an opponent for small forwards, was immense. Seemed very comfortable. At the very least, we have Brown’s successor, but with better rebound
2) that said, in order to really grow into the role, he needs to up his consistency of production once again. This was better as we went later into the season, but it’s still an area of improvement. Can’t be having games under 10 disposals at all, even if he does make all of them count
3) of course, the aim should eventually be midfield if possible - reach for the highest, impactful ceiling. However, with the glut of similarly sized potential midfield talents we now have, I’m not holding any great expectations. Might be best to put midfield development time into Pedlar/Soligo/Taylor/Berry from now on - start from scratch, in a way

Jirkago75

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
WTF , do you actually watch footy??
Go watch the west coast game and see who he could become. I think if he’s left there, he has All Australian potential. He got one thing all out other Half backs don’t have, Aggression. Some people have no idea

Sanders

Horne of plenty
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

that draft is full of studs in the preceding picks 1-8; having just a back pocket with 9 can’t be a pass.

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Pick 9 on a back pocket would be an epic fail even if he turns out to be a good player
Would you say Brodie Smith is a fail?

If Jones remains in the backline, he is going to be more like Smith than Brown.

I'm not writing him off moving into the midfield later in his career.

Bottom line is he has the tools to be a best 22 player for us.