Chayce Jones in defence - stepping stone or final destination?

Where will Chayce play predominantly in the long term?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Would you say Brodie Smith is a fail?

If Jones remains in the backline, he is going to be more like Smith than Brown.

I'm not writing him off moving into the midfield later in his career.

Bottom line is he has the tools to be a best 22 player for us.
If I had to wager, I’d say he’d be a hybrid of the two, if he continues. Better rebound than Brown, but as of yet Jones hasn’t showcased Smith’s zonebreaking ability whatsoever

SellarStardom

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
People comparing Jones to Hamill need to get over their love of Hamill's "dash", his disposal is a liability. Sholl is too light and soft for HB, Macpherson doesn't offer any drive, similar to Brown, Milera may never return so I think Jones is very well positioned moving forward.

Fast and tough little bugger

Sanders

Horne of plenty
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
People comparing Jones to Hamill need to get over their love of Hamill's "dash", his disposal is a liability. Sholl is too light and soft for HB, Macpherson doesn't offer any drive, similar to Brown, Milera may never return so I think Jones is very well positioned moving forward.

Sorry?

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

I do love Hamills dash, but yes I agree he very rarely hits targets.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

chrisso crow

Team Captain
Jul 27, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NA Roosters
I hope it's only a temporary placement in the BP, but his future may come down to needs rather than wants.

I'm guessing he'll only be given an opportunity in the midfield if the need arises, not purely because of him forcing players out.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong as he has shown some very good glimpses in the middle with some terrific centre bursts and is generally a good disposer of the ball.

He played some really good footy in the BP last year, so regardless of where he finishes I think he'll have a fine AFC career when all is said and done.

CroCrow

Draftee
Sep 12, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
WTF , do you actually watch footy??
Go watch the west coast game and see who he could become. I think if he’s left there, he has All Australian potential. He got one thing all out other Half backs don’t have, Aggression. Some people have no idea
watch him off the ball his running patterns and his positioning ....alot of things you can't see on TV. He looks lost. Ok he can run a bit with ball in hand but he still comes in and out of game and gets possessions by good fortune rather than good positioning. When it's congested he looks like he's in two minds. People saying he's better than Brown are putting their mind . Brown is an exceptional shut-down small defender and has been for many years.

Jirkago75

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
watch him off the ball his running patterns and his positioning ....alot of things you can't see on TV. He looks lost. Ok he can run a bit with ball in hand but he still comes in and out of game and gets possessions by good fortune rather than good positioning. When it's congested he looks like he's in two minds. People saying he's better than Brown are putting their mind . Brown is an exceptional shut-down small defender and has been for many years.
I agree that brown is a better defender but we all waited years for him to become a rebounder, which never happened. I do go to games and saw him improve every game, he did look lost once or twice but he has only played that position this year. His improvement has been great and he has shown an ability to win one on ones with aggressive play, plus he can distribute very well.
He will become a very good player in the next 2 years, he’ll be a mix of Brown and Smith. More a half back then back pocket I think

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree that brown is a better defender but we all waited years for him to become a rebounder, which never happened. I do go to games and saw him improve every game, he did look lost once or twice but he has only played that position this year. His improvement has been great and he has shown an ability to win one on ones with aggressive play, plus he can distribute very well.
He will become a very good player in the next 2 years, he’ll be a mix of Brown and Smith. More a half back then back pocket I think
Also, he go at the ball at high speed, like Mackay-levels

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I gather you were only at games earlier this season, because as the year went on, none of your post reflects Jones.

Bearded Clam

Premium Platinum
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg,
Looked shithouse as a forward, looked shithouse as a mid, looked good as a defender. Don't overthink this and just keep him in a spot where he can perform.
shithouse is a bit much..

he definitely showed some very tasty glimpses of what his speed, class, skills and talent can provide up forward and in the midfield.. but unfortunately was, like most of our youth, starved of midfield opportunity because of the clubs ultra conservative approach to giving midfield minutes to our youth.

then when he was given opportunity it was clear he had been directed to play the man not the ball.. directed, by Godden apparently, not to play his instinctive game but to do some utterly ridiculous tagging type role. None of which worked out but was persisted with until it became clear the lad had become totally and utterly lost out there and sapped of all confidence.

its just lucky that the kids talent, class, speed and skill has somehow seen him through and allowed him to salvage his career.. i honestly thought earlier this year it was done and dusted and I know I’m not alone with that.

its fantastic that he seems to have taken this HB role by the horns but a kid with his talent cannot be wasted in that possie.. sure, leave him there to continue improving but he needs to be slowly over the next two seasons given more and more midfield minutes.

we need highly skilled, talented and classy midfielders to start replacing the current kick and hope, panic merchants hacks we currently have taking up 80% of the midfield/CB’s minutes.

the first internal club trial match on the eve of the season next year I would love to see the starting CB‘s, for the first half at least, be;

Strawnie, Jones, Laird, shoey with dawson and Rachele rotating in

pitted up against

RoB, Sloane, Mcrouch, Keays with berry and pedlar rotating in.

I think the club might be surprised at the result..

NTRabbit

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, 76ers, Royals
He wasn't starved of opportunity, he was just rubbish in the midfield at AFL level. He gave less glimpses than Milera, and perhaps even less than Gallucci.

Back pocket is where he has worked, because it allows him concentrate on just the one task of defending a small forward, and largely hides his complete lack of lateral vision by letting him work in straight lines when moving the ball up to the half back flankers or wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
At this point I would rather he show he can consistently get the ball.
What a great contribution so far to BF.
1638929294291.png

skam85

lick the stamp and send it
Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Posts almost identical to a poster that's gone missing for a couple of months....Shouldn't take you too long to work out who?

Edit : Hint it's not Bart.

What a week. Jack and Mick back from the grave.