Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 9 on a back pocket would be an epic fail even if he turns out to be a good player

Not particularly. Top 10 picks aren't consistent enough that a player making a career anywhere is a fail.

It's more the equivalent of just barely scraping through for a pass.

Pick 9 on a back pocket would be an epic fail even if he turns out to be a good player
Disagree...plenty of players picked with a higher pick than him across drafts have failed as players and end up been delisted before they even make a spot their own, if he ends up being a very good back pocket, at least he has forged a good AFL career

Disagree...plenty of players picked with a higher pick than him across drafts have failed as players and end up been delisted before they even make a spot their own, if he ends up being a very good back pocket, at least he has forged a good AFL career
Yes and they are fails too but Jones isn't as big.

If you went into that draft and said we are going to draft a back pocket at pick 9 what would have been the reaction?

Yes and they are fails too but Jones isn't as big.

If you went into that draft and said we are going to draft a back pocket at pick 9 what would have been the reaction?
It is not as simple in my mind. We all hope for the best but you also have to plan for the worst. Drafting is not an exact science hence why you get players picked in the teens, 20's 30's etc rookie draft that out perform high end 1st round picks. The art is to ensure you get the right kids so they are not complete busts

Another way to look at Chayce was we hoped he would be that top end mid we all want, but if his actual ceiling is as a very good small defender, I will live with that. Its just good that he has more strings to his bow than just being a possible failed mid - he CAN play another role which ultimately gets him a tick in my eyes

People are over rating his backline performances because it's almost like they're praying one of that crop of draftees turns into a success. As a supporter who sits behind the goals in the last row I get a great view of defenders and to be honest all the issues mentioned above are also visible in the backline also especially when it's a congested backline . Personally I think he will be delisted in the next few years as much as I'd like that not to be the case . An unnatural footballer
I'm not sure he makes it as an AFL player yet either, it was good to see him improve in the 2nd half of the season but he still didn't do much, with Dawson Milera Sholl Hammil Smith Seedsman and McPherson all looking to play wing or half back will Jones keep his spot in the team? He'll need to improve on this season and get involved more and use his run and kicking skills coming out of defence. I think he's just ahead of Hammil and just behind McPherson and Sholl and probably only 5 maybe 6 of those 7 players play in the same team at once so he's under pressure to hold his spot

Drafts are full of surprises, when you look at them years later. I don’t really think you could call anything beyond pick 5 an ‘epic fail’.

You certainly can, it just requires a player to be delisted without firing a shot.

People are over rating his backline performances because it's almost like they're praying one of that crop of draftees turns into a success. As a supporter who sits behind the goals in the last row I get a great view of defenders and to be honest all the issues mentioned above are also visible in the backline also especially when it's a congested backline . Personally I think he will be delisted in the next few years as much as I'd like that not to be the case . An unnatural footballer
#Bookmark

HB for the time being but start throwing him in the CB’s/mid for a 5 minute burst here and there from R1 next year.

the lad has more speed and better skills and decision making in his little finger than the kick and hope, skyball panic merchants like keays and lairdy.

and for christsake.. keep Godden away from him. Godden’s stupidity is the reason the lad chased the man and not the ball for all those games in 2019/20 and ended up completely lost which drained his confidence. And glad pykes gone too, hated how he played chayce. These two knobs should both be gone, not just pyke.

when the lad is left to play his natural game his class comes to the fore. Nicksy and the lads have managed to build the kids confidence back up and he has found a nice little spot there at HB but he’s got too much class to let him stay there… would love to see him and lairdy swap in another season or two.. lairdy back to HB for his twilight years and Chayce into the mid fulltime after a year or two of short bursts in there.

Jones is an interesting one. For me, there’s a few things:

1) the potential he showed as a two-way guy in a back pocket/off a flank, both as a rebounder and as an opponent for small forwards, was immense. Seemed very comfortable. At the very least, we have Brown’s successor, but with better rebound
2) that said, in order to really grow into the role, he needs to up his consistency of production once again. This was better as we went later into the season, but it’s still an area of improvement. Can’t be having games under 10 disposals at all, even if he does make all of them count
3) of course, the aim should eventually be midfield if possible - reach for the highest, impactful ceiling. However, with the glut of similarly sized potential midfield talents we now have, I’m not holding any great expectations. Might be best to put midfield development time into Pedlar/Soligo/Taylor/Berry from now on - start from scratch, in a way

WTF , do you actually watch footy??
Go watch the west coast game and see who he could become. I think if he’s left there, he has All Australian potential. He got one thing all out other Half backs don’t have, Aggression. Some people have no idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you say Brodie Smith is a fail?

If Jones remains in the backline, he is going to be more like Smith than Brown.

I'm not writing him off moving into the midfield later in his career.

Bottom line is he has the tools to be a best 22 player for us.

Would you say Brodie Smith is a fail?

If Jones remains in the backline, he is going to be more like Smith than Brown.

I'm not writing him off moving into the midfield later in his career.

Bottom line is he has the tools to be a best 22 player for us.
If I had to wager, I’d say he’d be a hybrid of the two, if he continues. Better rebound than Brown, but as of yet Jones hasn’t showcased Smith’s zonebreaking ability whatsoever

People comparing Jones to Hamill need to get over their love of Hamill's "dash", his disposal is a liability. Sholl is too light and soft for HB, Macpherson doesn't offer any drive, similar to Brown, Milera may never return so I think Jones is very well positioned moving forward.

Fast and tough little bugger

People comparing Jones to Hamill need to get over their love of Hamill's "dash", his disposal is a liability. Sholl is too light and soft for HB, Macpherson doesn't offer any drive, similar to Brown, Milera may never return so I think Jones is very well positioned moving forward.

Fast and tough little bugger
I do love Hamills dash, but yes I agree he very rarely hits targets.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope it's only a temporary placement in the BP, but his future may come down to needs rather than wants.

I'm guessing he'll only be given an opportunity in the midfield if the need arises, not purely because of him forcing players out.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong as he has shown some very good glimpses in the middle with some terrific centre bursts and is generally a good disposer of the ball.

He played some really good footy in the BP last year, so regardless of where he finishes I think he'll have a fine AFC career when all is said and done.

WTF , do you actually watch footy??
Go watch the west coast game and see who he could become. I think if he’s left there, he has All Australian potential. He got one thing all out other Half backs don’t have, Aggression. Some people have no idea
watch him off the ball his running patterns and his positioning ....alot of things you can't see on TV. He looks lost. Ok he can run a bit with ball in hand but he still comes in and out of game and gets possessions by good fortune rather than good positioning. When it's congested he looks like he's in two minds. People saying he's better than Brown are putting their mind . Brown is an exceptional shut-down small defender and has been for many years.

watch him off the ball his running patterns and his positioning ....alot of things you can't see on TV. He looks lost. Ok he can run a bit with ball in hand but he still comes in and out of game and gets possessions by good fortune rather than good positioning. When it's congested he looks like he's in two minds. People saying he's better than Brown are putting their mind . Brown is an exceptional shut-down small defender and has been for many years.
I agree that brown is a better defender but we all waited years for him to become a rebounder, which never happened. I do go to games and saw him improve every game, he did look lost once or twice but he has only played that position this year. His improvement has been great and he has shown an ability to win one on ones with aggressive play, plus he can distribute very well.
He will become a very good player in the next 2 years, he’ll be a mix of Brown and Smith. More a half back then back pocket I think

I agree that brown is a better defender but we all waited years for him to become a rebounder, which never happened. I do go to games and saw him improve every game, he did look lost once or twice but he has only played that position this year. His improvement has been great and he has shown an ability to win one on ones with aggressive play, plus he can distribute very well.
He will become a very good player in the next 2 years, he’ll be a mix of Brown and Smith. More a half back then back pocket I think
Also, he go at the ball at high speed, like Mackay-levels

I gather you were only at games earlier this season, because as the year went on, none of your post reflects Jones.

Looked shithouse as a forward, looked shithouse as a mid, looked good as a defender. Don't overthink this and just keep him in a spot where he can perform.
shithouse is a bit much..

he definitely showed some very tasty glimpses of what his speed, class, skills and talent can provide up forward and in the midfield.. but unfortunately was, like most of our youth, starved of midfield opportunity because of the clubs ultra conservative approach to giving midfield minutes to our youth.

then when he was given opportunity it was clear he had been directed to play the man not the ball.. directed, by Godden apparently, not to play his instinctive game but to do some utterly ridiculous tagging type role. None of which worked out but was persisted with until it became clear the lad had become totally and utterly lost out there and sapped of all confidence.

its just lucky that the kids talent, class, speed and skill has somehow seen him through and allowed him to salvage his career.. i honestly thought earlier this year it was done and dusted and I know I’m not alone with that.

its fantastic that he seems to have taken this HB role by the horns but a kid with his talent cannot be wasted in that possie.. sure, leave him there to continue improving but he needs to be slowly over the next two seasons given more and more midfield minutes.

we need highly skilled, talented and classy midfielders to start replacing the current kick and hope, panic merchants hacks we currently have taking up 80% of the midfield/CB’s minutes.

the first internal club trial match on the eve of the season next year I would love to see the starting CB‘s, for the first half at least, be;

Strawnie, Jones, Laird, shoey with dawson and Rachele rotating in

pitted up against

RoB, Sloane, Mcrouch, Keays with berry and pedlar rotating in.

I think the club might be surprised at the result..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back