Remove this Banner Ad

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
The first thing that comes to mind when seeing a thread like this would be your obvious choices like Bali or Phuket. But what are the other options and is it limited to South-East Asia. Feel free to add any cheap holiday destinations you've had below and what sort of experience you had there.

I've heard that Sri Lanka is the cheapest place to holiday and surprisingly the Dominican Republic. Any others out there?

never been though hoping to change that about this time next year, but lads who have been to south america said there are some dirt cheap places there, and more so in central america...

lithuania and latvia are pretty cheap and i really enjoyed latvia. riga was probably my favourite city in my ~18 months of travel through europe in 2007/08.

Your own country is at least cheap to get to- and it boosts your tourists industy :)

Apart from that South africa is good too because of the exchange rate it is about 10:1 for Euro and shouldnt be too much different to the aus dollar. If you know where to go you can get by cheap.

In terms of getting there anywhere serviced by Air Asia can be a cheap trip. They are a decent enough airline also to spend a maximum 7hrs trip on.

There are so many resources these days that basically you can make any destination cheap by couch surfing, AirBNB, Priceline/Hotwire type sites, then doing a heap of research on the attractions/restaurants etc.

Laos would be the cheapest place I've been to, but in saying that the last time visited Europe the "expensive" countries like England, Germany, Austria, Italy were all cheaper than at home here in Australia for basically everything - accommodation, food, beer/wine, transport, attractions.

In terms of getting there anywhere serviced by Air Asia can be a cheap trip. They are a decent enough airline also to spend a maximum 7hrs trip on.

There are so many resources these days that basically you can make any destination cheap by couch surfing, AirBNB, Priceline/Hotwire type sites, then doing a heap of research on the attractions/restaurants etc.

Laos would be the cheapest place I've been to, but in saying that the last time visited Europe the "expensive" countries like England, Germany, Austria, Italy were all cheaper than at home here in Australia for basically everything - accommodation, food, beer/wine, transport, attractions.
The expensive European countries are Scandinavia and Switzerland.

Germany is remarkably cheap. Especially Berlin.

Germany is remarkably cheap. Especially Berlin.

I couldn't get over how cheap berlin was. really shocked me.

belgium and the netherlands were strange. you could go to one place and pay 5-6 e's for a pint, then go to a very similar pub on the same street and pay 3 e for a pint... it wasn't to do with happy hours either. there just seemed to be a very strange disparity amongst prices within the cities.

Vietnam is cheap, especially in the smaller cities/towns. I went there in 2009.

Accommodation is dirt cheap. 3 stars (was simple but nice), balcony room in the middle of the old quarter of Hanoi for around $30 a night. Went 4 stars in HCMC and I reckon it was something like $55 per night for a really good room right in the middle of Pham Ngu Lao, which is the main backpackers area. I'm sure cheaper accommodation than this could be found, but we got nice rooms the whole time.

Food and drinks are very cheap. In Hoi An we got a meal for two of a whole fish cooked in a banana leaf, rice, stir fried morning glory, 3 beers for me and a coke for my girlfriend for the grand total of 100,000VND (about $7). Fresh beers can be had for around 30-40c for a cup (I'm guessing around 300ml) in most cities, or you can get bottled beer for around $2 for a 600ml Tiger or similar.

Transport was also really cheap. Only really used taxis in HCMC but most of them were only $2 or so for the fare.

All activities we did were reasonable. Did a 2 night trip to Halong Bay from Hanoi which included a night on a boat with an extensive tour around the islands, kayaking, mountain trek, night in a 4 star hotel on Cat Ba island, all meals included. All we had to pay for was our drinks and the whole two days was $100 per person.

Also did an trip to the Mekong from HCMC and did a homestay for one night. Think that whole trip cost us less than $50 each with all meals, entry to sights, etc.

The Baltic regions are relatively cheap, although you gotta watch out for certain hazards.
Latvia and Lithuania, sure. But Estonia now on the Euro is not quite as cheap as its neighbours.

No more/worse hazards lie in this area than say wandering La Ramblas at night, or bumping into gypsies galore in Paris or Rome. Or the bazillion hashish dealers on the streets of Lisbon. Or the dodgy cab drivers from most airports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.
+1 to that. Stayed in 5 star hotels in HCMC and Nha Trang and it was half as cheap as a lot of places.

When I move to London next year I want to do a fair bit of Eastern Europe, espescially Russia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back