Check Out Some Early Judd

Remove this Banner Ad

Him and Koutifidies really changed the idea that midfielders needed to be average or less height. Maybe there was some other tall midfielders running around at the time that I can't recall but these two specifically made you think "**** these guys are 6'2, 6'3 almost key position height (especially Kouta) running around as midfielders and absolutely dominating".

Nowadays just about every team has a midfielder or two that height or even taller ala Patrick Cripps.

Kouta was Fyfe before Fyfe was Fyfe. He was 191cm and 98kg and could legitimately play as a key position player or midfielder.

Judd was around the same height (189) but was a lot leaner at 88kg and explosive. He was a prototype bid bodied midfielder but you couldn't see him holding down CHB. Having guys like Kouta, Cripps, Josh P Kennedy running around at 190+ and close to 100kg is ridiculous. It's a bit like Ben Simmons playing PG at 6'10''. If a guy that size can do that what chance do the little guys have? What is pleasing is that those guys are good footballers and not just athletes.

My comment wasn’t really era-specific, but I don’t really agree this. Diesel was great in congestion, had the best vision in a player I’ve seen, could run all day, create opportunities out of nothing and had elite disposal. If Sam Mitchell could be a champion in today’s game, Diesel would do just fine I think.
That's a fair enough view to hold. I'm not disputing he was a great player at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back