Chelsea FC - Pride of London

Remove this Banner Ad

What does everyone make of Jose's comments on RLC? Pretty harsh words, insinuating he was faking an injury and questioning his commitment.
The RLC I saw play in the league >>>>> the RLC I saw play last night.

He did look injured. So if he wasn't... well, the criticism is probably fair.

The RLC I saw play in the league >>>>> the RLC I saw play last night.

He did look injured. So if he wasn't... well, the criticism is probably fair.
Jose is probably just reminding him he has a long way to go if he wants to make it at Chelsea. Probably doesn't want him to turn out like Sterling either.

i am in awe how this game can attract such a large crowd. If this is how sport is going to be played in the future, I'm not sure how I'm going to occupy myself in my old age. I feel a sense of loss already

chef, Hatchy1992 how are you enjoying Sydney and Sydney's public transport? :D

I really hate Cities (being a country boy), we didnt have to worry about public transport as we walked to the game from where we stayed and drove to Sydney.

chef, Hatchy1992 how are you enjoying Sydney and Sydney's public transport? :D
haha free train ride with tickets but didnt get back to hotel until 1am! Met some randoms on the queue and they got a chant going. 1000's supporters singing my name. 2 minutes of fame!:D Epic night!

Just heard about the comments about Loftus Cheek. I was surprised in a way he got subbed off early after coming on as a substitute. I did remember when Mourniho coached a player called Boulahrouz, and I think after coming on as a sub in one of the Premier League games, got subbed off 5 mintues later. Mourinho , you have to win over his respect. Boulahrouz from memory didn't last too long at Chelsea either.

So here are my thoughts on everyones season:

Courtois - Excellent first season with us and can only remember a couple of goals where I thought he could do better. Will only improve. 8.5/10

Azpi - Another fine season where he cemented his spot as the best LB in the league, if not the world at the moment. Doesn't look totally confident on his left foot though and would still prefer him on the right. 9/10

Terry - I will admit to writing him off under AVB and Rafa but my word he has proved me wrong. What a captain and still as important as in Mourinho's last era. Incredible he played every minute in the league at his age. 10/10

Cahill - First half of the season he was a shadow of his superb previous year. Second half was better but needs to improve. Still think Ivanovic's lack of covering exposed him as one vs one has never been his strength. 5.5/10.

Ivanovic - Difficult one to judge. Does some great things going forward, which is what people see on the highlights, but most of the time he doesn't add much and I don't think we need him up there with options we have. His lack of covering and general defending is a concern, and while I know it's a role he's been given by Jose I think we would be better off for him to be more defensive. Still a solid season overall though. 7.5/10

Matic - The fact we look so much more controlled and better with him in the team displays his importance. 8.5/10

Fabregas - The missing piece of the jigsaw. Awesome to have a world class playmaker pulling the strings after Lampards slowdown. What we needed and boy does it make a difference it opening up the opposition. 9/10.

Hazard - Does everything. While his stats are good they don't tell the whole story. He is often the one creating, driving us forward and who we rely on to come up with that piece of magic to break the game open. Just an absolute pleasure to watch. 10/10

Oscar - One of our best in the first half then once again faded in the second. It's no coincidence that we play our best football when he is fit and setting the intensity for the rest of the team. Obviously becoming burnt out has become a major factor but now he finally gets his first proper rest in years h will hopefully help him have a great season over the whole year. 7/10

Willian - Can't fault his defensive work but for someone with such skill and pace he needs to take more risks and take the game on rather than always going for the safe option or slowing down the play. He should be doing better than 4 goals and 4 assists (all comps) in a season with the team he has around him. 6.5/10

Costa - What a feeling it is to have a proper striker leading our line again. Did what we needed one to do - bully, press and be in the right places at the right time. Hopefully we can keep him fit as he is a star. 8/10.

Cech - Reliable as always when he came on. Legend of the club and with the emergence of Courtois can't blame him if he wants to look for more opportunities elsewhere. 6/10

Luis - Should have been used more and always looked good when he got his chance. Will we ever see the mythical Azpi/Luis partnership? 6/10.

Zouma - Very composed and strong for such a young man. Has a bright future at the club. 7/10.

Mikel - After watching him play for us for 9 years I still don't know what he adds. Needs to go. 3/10

Ramires - Tries hard and has a role but his skills and passing often let him down. Can't see him being a regular for us again. 6/10.

Cuadrado - Has shown glimpses but overall he looks like this signing could be a failure. Still have hope but not sure if Jose rates him and at this point Schurrle was better. 4/10

Remy - Very handy pickup and was excellent every time he played. Just a shame he always got injured both times he had an opportunity to put a string of games together. 7/10.

Drogba - Love having back as a coach for his influence around the dressing room but wish he never came back as a player. Was a liability on the pitch and the 3rd strikers spot would have been better used on giving games to a youngster. 4/10

Mourinho - First half of the season was some of the best football we played in years. Second half a few players were down on form and so I wasn't too bothered he set up to guard against complacency. Only major flaw was that he got our approach totally wrong in the second leg vs PSG. The game was ours for the taking. Knows how to win and there is nobody else I would rather have in charge. 8.5/10.

Overall - Won the double, improved as a team and signs that we will only get better. Champions league and FA Cup exits hurt but other than that not much to complain about. Can't wait for 15/16! 9/10.

What do we think of Falcao? I think if we can get him on the cheap he'd be a good get. Wouldn't be expecting anything from him. But if, IF he can recapture something close to his best form he would be amazing for us.

As long as it's a year long loan I'm cool with it. With Costa and Remy we really don't need to be lashing out on a CF so he'll give us that squad depth we want and he'll allow us to spend in areas of need.

Also allows Bamford to go off for a season at Prem level before coming back and taking Falcaos spot in 2016/17.

I guess there's also the slight chance he runs back into form and we have first rights to buy him at a decent price.

Win/win/win for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh I can't see it as anything but a good thing on a season long loan.

Costa/Remy clear first choice with him having to prove himself. If we do run him into form then it's definitely a good problem to have.

If he proves himself and does well, then we can look at a permanent deal perhaps. But I will say this. He comes in from a clear slate. Has to prove himself much like Remy and Costa have done.

Also, I think with a better midfield behind him (Fabregas/Hazard/Matic & co) he can be at least serviceable.

Also warming to the idea of Falcao.

A loan is a perfect scenario and with less pressure on him at Chelsea it's a risk worth taking if he can get his confidence back.

Most importantly though is that he is an improvement on Drogba and with the squad we have strengthening is all we need to do.

Mourinho is apparently very keen to get Traore back to Chelsea. Would think he'd be the third choice in that case.

Only work permit issues stopping that right now.
Some highlights of him at Vitesse. Looks the goods but always cautious of compilation vids as they can make Torres look like the best striker we've ever had!

Some highlights of him at Vitesse. Looks the goods but always cautious of compilation vids as they can make Torres look like the best striker we've ever had!

What's everyone think is the biggest need for him right now? Another season at Vitesse, a loan in a better league or a PL loan?
I personally would like to see him in the Premier League at a newly promoted side.

I actually think he'll be one of our loanees to make it as a regular starter at Chelsea some day.

I'd be happy with either Bamford or Traore as our 3rd striker. No need to buy someone to replace Drogba.

What happens to Izzy Brown next season? Keep him in the u/21s?
Izzy's only 17 isn't he? Another season in the 21's with the sporadic cup appearance IMO. Same as Solanke.

Bamford, I'm not sure about. I've seen a few Middlesborough games this season and he's technical level wasn't all that impressive. Got the goals as a poacher but thats it. A PL loan would do him good. Unfortunate that Middlesborough stayed down, a season with Boro in the PL would've been perfect.

Traore is one I think Jose wants in the first team but is unavailable due to the work permit issue. Therefore a loan to a higher league (Bundesliga anyone?) is the go IMO.

Bamford will rot on the bench with us next season if we don't loan him out. He needs to play for a premier league club and then we will be able to tell if he's ready or not.

I am really warming to the Falcao idea now, as long as it's just a loan. The last thing we need to do is spend 25m on a flop, but I am confident he can find form with us.

We really need a right winger, Willian just doesn't offer enough of a goal scoring threat and I don't think he's good enough to make that position his own at a club like Chelsea. I know the rumours have been squashed but Griezmann would be a perfect fit. My second preference would be Reus but that's certainly not going to happen.

Who else is there that will considerably improve our side? Sterling is an option but I'm not totally convinced, is he even that much of an upgrade on Willian? Also having an attacking three of Sterling-Willian-Hazard would be dismal. Sterling and Willian can't finish to save themselves and even Hazard is questionable in front of goals at times. We need killer instinct and someone like Griezmann or Reus would provide that which is why we should go all out for one of them, but right now none are looking likely. So who are the other realistic options?

Another issue with our team is our central midfield in big games. Fabregas and Matic just don't cut it against the big boys and they need some support. I think Ramires and Mikel were exposed this season and they could barely impact a game. They're serviceable in the last twenty minutes of games when we need that extra run and defence but in reality they are depth at best. We need another world class box to box midfielder that has goal scoring ability. There's one name that is going to dominate the headlines this transfer period and it's Paul Pogba. I wouldn't be against throwing the kitchen sink to land this guy, even if it meant sacrificing someone like Oscar. A midfield trio of Fabregas, Matic and Pogba would be formidable but what are the chances of us signing him? Very low indeed.

This is where I think Jose has to be smart. If someone like Real Madrid buy Pogba, surely someone of quality would make way. Kroos, Pogba, Isco, James, Modric, Ronaldo and Bale is just overkill, even for Madrid's standards. They've been letting world class players go lately - Ozil, Di Maria and Alonso, so maybe we should target whatever world class player cops the arse once they bring in their shiny new toy. Would they let Modric go?

The same goes for Barcelona. I feel Rakitic is almost a stop gap player for them and despite his fantastic season, and I feel Barcelona could get someone better in midfield. Would he get shafted if Pogba went to the Nou Camp?

Apart from that we're limited. Koke is a one club player, Juventus won't sell Vidal and Pogba, Gundogen is questionable and seems Bayern bound and Verratti is a pipe dream. The tier below these players is probably someone like Schneiderlin who is domestically proven but I don't think he would improve us in Europe.

To be honest, I have no idea how we are going to approach this window and every exciting player that we have been linked to has been since been denied. For the fun of it here is my dream starting squad for next season:

--------------------Courtois

----Ivanovic---Terry---Zouma---Azpillicueta

-------------Matic-----------Fabregas

---------------------Pogba

-----Griezmann---------------Hazard

----------------------Costa

Squad: Remy, Willian, Cuadrado, Falcao, Green, RLC, Cahill, Luis, Ramires, Christensen

Sold/retired: Cech, Oscar, Moses, Salah, Mikel, Drogba, Atsu, van Ginkel

Loaned: Ake, Brown, Baker, Solanke, Blackman, Bamford, Traore (anyone else is not worth noting, edit: probably forgetting heaps)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back