Cheney or Otten?

Cheney or Otten preference.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would keep both at this rate, not like we have much extra depth in those areas after those two. Cheney is a solid 3/4 position defender and if we're feeling cruel, we can make him a 2nd KP - not that he excels in that role but he's got some experience in it.

Otten is a solid enough 1/2 defender and can read it well enough to be a 3rd tall but he's speed lets him down in that position. I don't mind him as a forward still, he actually gives us a "bomb it to" target that our other key forwards outside of McGovern don't provide. Ideally he's not there though and that's only a depth option, much like throwing him in to pinch hit in the ruck. If Jenkins was to go down then he's a serious contender to fill that position (Himmelberg potentially to leap frog but since I'm yet to see him play and he hasn't played AFL, he's behind at this very moment).

For me, these are both guys that should be cheap to hold and are valuable depth to have. I think we've got plenty of other positions that we can turn over that we don't need to push these guys out unless there are some ready replacements we have in mind.

Would keep both at this rate, not like we have much extra depth in those areas after those two. Cheney is a solid 3/4 position defender and if we're feeling cruel, we can make him a 2nd KP - not that he excels in that role but he's got some experience in it.

Otten is a solid enough 1/2 defender and can read it well enough to be a 3rd tall but he's speed lets him down in that position. I don't mind him as a forward still, he actually gives us a "bomb it to" target that our other key forwards outside of McGovern don't provide. Ideally he's not there though and that's only a depth option, much like throwing him in to pinch hit in the ruck. If Jenkins was to go down then he's a serious contender to fill that position (Himmelberg potentially to leap frog but since I'm yet to see him play and he hasn't played AFL, he's behind at this very moment).

For me, these are both guys that should be cheap to hold and are valuable depth to have. I think we've got plenty of other positions that we can turn over that we don't need to push these guys out unless there are some ready replacements we have in mind.
Pretty sound reasoning so that means we're delisting from rookies or untried major list. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sound reasoning so that means we're delisting from rookies or untried major list. Cheers.
Got x2 straight up with Hampton and Gibson before we look at touching the rookies/untried guys and then there's also the unknown of CEY.

I guess it depends how many picks we want to make in the draft as to how many positions we free up, could one of the above guys be moved onto the rookie list themselves (I don't really even know the difference between the rookie v main list these days).

Got x2 straight up with Hampton and Gibson before we look at touching the rookies/untried guys and then there's also the unknown of CEY.

I guess it depends how many picks we want to make in the draft as to how many positions we free up, could one of the above guys be moved onto the rookie list themselves (I don't really even know the difference between the rookie v main list these days).
I think a club has to cycle minimum 5 from whatever list.

Ottens body is shot.

But he is still one of the best readers of play in the side, which enables him to still keep going.

I think he will make a fine coach one day so would like to keep him in our system wth a transition to coaching. He could do a better job than Hart coaching the backlines today.

Otten is more of a KPD whereas Cheney can play small and on a 2nd forward. Hard to drop otten after the job he did last week. I have no idea how Kelly gets a game over cheney though

Not too sure whether they will keep Otten as experienced SANFL player break in emergency or not but have to say Cheney getting dropped for this game although playing ok really points to him being delisted.
Kelly you would hope we could get a trade for.

I like Cheney as a footballer. However, he was the last one signed up last year. I don't like his chances this year. Getting dropped for the final round also doesn't bode well.

So, Cheney to be delisted. Otten is 50/50. It may come down to how well he plays tomorrow. If we keep him, I'd be inclined to move him onto the rookie list.

They both turn 30 next year, and that is a factor against both of them. Especially considering the age profile of our list.

No mate, generally been very disappointing, like you I thought he was a chance to have an AFL career but think his time has likely passed.
He looked very good at the combine and in his draft year, but I actually watched a few of his games at senior level and the guy looks lost. Shame

Otten is more of a KPD whereas Cheney can play small and on a 2nd forward. Hard to drop otten after the job he did last week. I have no idea how Kelly gets a game over cheney though
Boosting his trade value. Cheney is going no-where, but I doubt we see Kelly in Crows colours next season. This way he's essentially only missed 2 games in 2 seasons. Regardless of form, thats a pretty tradeable asset!

There is a reason to keep them both on one year. Moving the list and being transitional is also a matter.
Thanks for your input sir.

I’d prefer to get some value at the draft (or a ruck) and trade Hartigan and Kelly. Keath looks fine in place of Hartigan. I’d consider putting Von Bertouch or best state league KPD on the rookie list as that back up in case of emergency (behind Talia, Keath, Doedee and Otten). Try and get Lukosius with a stockpile of draft picks/players. He could start his career at CHB.

Back