FTA-TV Chernobyl

Remove this Banner Ad

Mini Series On HBO. Anyone been watching? The end of episode two was very powerful.

I think most of us have a general idea about what happened but this so far seems a great telling of the event, if you can ignore the English speaking British accented Ukrainians.

Anyone else seen Ep 3 yet?

That radiation sickness body makeup....Jesus.

Brilliant, brilliant mini series.

That was confronting especially the guy with the wife. The bravery of those ‘volunteers’ as well. Another great ep.

Such a good show. I’ve always been fascinated by Chernobyl but even so, the show is just fantastic.

My parents-in-law lived under communist rule behind the iron curtain before escaping and I’ve watched the first couple of episodes with them, they are shocked at how accurate it is (they don’t even speak English but that doesn’t seem to bother them and take away from the reality of it as they weren’t Russian speakers either).

Last edited:
Mini Series On HBO. Anyone been watching? The end of episode two was very powerful.

I think most of us have a general idea about what happened but this so far seems a great telling of the event, if you can ignore the English speaking British accented Ukrainians.

I agree the accents are a bit lame as expected.
I have seen episode one so far and have mixed feelings, does the 2nd episode pick up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Episode 2 is much better...BUT...I still am still going to be a bit of a snob and say that I have issues with it, it is far from perfect but still very enjoyable.

My main gripe is that can be a bit clumsy and heavy handed in its over dramatization, but maybe its just being really meta as a 1980s soviet era depiction.
Plus the old trope of ignorant and easily despised characters acting like jerks/not believing the good guy/expert gets a very thorough workout in this show. It's most likely what happened to some extent because communism and stuff but it's just a bit much for my taste.

Plus the old trope of ignorant and easily despised characters acting like jerks/not believing the good guy/expert gets a very thorough workout in this show. It's most likely what happened to some extent because communism and stuff but it's just a bit much for my taste.
I reckon they’ve done this absolutely perfectly, not just with how it was realistic to how communism really was (I’ve watched this with my in-laws who escaped from behind the iron curtain and say it is scarily accurate) but how the character like the Stellan Skarsgård one does in fact believe the experts after awhile.

He wasn’t just the stereotypical non-believer that we see in so many shows like you point out, rather he had an incredibly tough outer exterior borne of someone that worked themselves pretty much to the top of a brutal bureaucracy. But, relatively quickly, he sees the truth of the situation, saw through the spin and acted brutally to punish those he deemed to have been responsible. I love the nuance they give to the characters.

I think more than anything, this series gives an amazingly accurate view into what communism was really like for the people, the bureaucrats, the undoubtedly talented academics etc. and how all of the above mesh with ideology. You see how difficult it was to talk plainly and how loaded words were. It’s pretty terrifying.

Yes, it would have been better in Russian/Ukrainian but I think it simply came down to the creators wanting known quantities with their actors and wanting the most talented ones they could get.

Last edited:
Im enjoying this, if you can call it enjoying. I'm watching it through a French site that has HBO's shows on it and its a little bit weird, whereby without knowing Ive watched it completley backwards. Started on Ep. 3 thinking it was the first, then went onto Ep. 2, and finally went to watch Ep. 3 until I realised I'd already seen it, so back onto Ep. 1. Strangely it hasnt taken anything away from it.

Episode 3 was scarier than any horror movie out there, to know that this was what truly happened and that such shocking things really did occur to people who are somehow still alive through it. It was actually worse than portrayed if you've ever read any hospital accounts about the aftereffects. The creator actually posts in the sub reddit, can't believe its the guy who wrote Scary Movie 3, 4 & the Hangover part 2 (among other schlock) - shows how you can't judge a book by its cover.

Have seen/read a lot about Chernobyl and find it fascinating, but am having trouble getting past the British accents.

Finished episode 1 and it was good without being awesome IMO, but it sounds like it gets better as it progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back