FTA-TV Chernobyl

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
It wasn't a Russian production with Russian screenwriters. If you listen to the podcast that Billy Ray linked further back, the writer explains that they did try the actor using Russian accents but it came across as comedy. It makes sense.

I dont think they could have made the series as well as they did if they used Russian dialogue, plus it would have turned too many people off having to read sub-titles. They made the right call. I cant fault it as a piece of art, history or entertainment. 10/10.

He'll need a chauffeur

Forgot that he passed away. What a shame for young man. Ok he’s out then.

I just finished re-watching HBOs Rome and they had all very English accents. Should they have been Italian accents? New York sopranos-like?..”heya call in Pullo to take-a the bum out”

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Forgot that he passed away. What a shame for young man. Ok he’s out then.

I just finished re-watching HBOs Rome and they had all very English accents. Should they have been Italian accents? New York sopranos-like?..”heya call in Pullo to take-a the bum out”

Maybe it's because Shakespeare popularised the Roman stories in English and that tradition has continued? Stuff like Rome and before that I, Claudius and Gladiator. I don't think Charlton Heston was capable of an English accent for Ben Hur lol.

Or perhaps producers want English dialog for historial pieces and some English accents sound old and authentic compared to American accents.

Maybe it's because Shakespeare popularised the Roman stories in English and that tradition has continued? Stuff like Rome and before that I, Claudius and Gladiator. I don't think Charlton Heston was capable of an English accent for Ben Hur lol.

Or perhaps producers want English dialog for historial pieces and some English accents sound old and authentic compared to American accents.

Think you hit the nail on the head there. There’s an article up on one of the news sites about how popular the show has been despite ‘one major flaw’.

Goes on and quotes all these randoms on social media complaining about the English accents. Bemused how a shi**y fake Russian accent is going to make it a better show.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of course it being in English detracts from the series.

It happened in Chernobyl not Newcastle in England.

English are better actors? How naive are you people. With the population Russia has, they couldn’t find quality actors for this? Give me a spell.
Can you tell the subtle differences between Russian accents? Do you know which denote education, working classes, or the fact a charachter isnt actually Russian?

Its made for a western audience, and the presence of accessible accents gives added depth when building character, especially when a character plays a small role and needs you to understand their history quickly. Miners have yorkshire accents, scientists southern posh to denote education. Skarsgard is the exception, but he is their A lister.

I mean they could have gone for American, but given the cold war that would seem pretty dumb.

Have a look at The Death of Stalin notes on how they used a wide variety of accents to amplify subtle differences

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
You are basically watching it as if you are russian/ukrainian/etc and understand your local language which is what you are hearing.

It would be comical if typical cinematic russian accents were put in.
Like hogans heroes and german.

Ve haf vays of making you talk

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Russian accents
Russian accented English
With the population Russia has, they couldn’t find quality actors for this?
Russian actors
Russian actors with subtitles would have been perfect. And surely HBO could have found elite Russian actors with ease.
Russian accents
Russian accent

Soviet accents. Chernobyl wasn't in Russia.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

Imteresting comp vid. Cover a few thing seen in the show.

Interesting part at the end, but we know the Russians lied at Vienna so that explanation isn't right. The positive void coefficient was created by the reinsertion of the control rods that had graphite tips IIRC. The graphite tips was the design flaw and sent the reactor OTT. See, I'm a nuclear physicist now LOL.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I liked that at least documents and words were in russian
1560583618779.gif

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
What's the easiest way to watch this?

Foxtel. If you don't have an account, and don't want to pay, Foxtel Now has a free 10 day trial. Sign up, watch Chernobyl, cancel account. Profit.

Back