Chess club - helpers wanted and tournaments from July

Which tournaments would you like to see as part of the club (no prizes)

• Ladder

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Midweek super quick (1 min)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend (10min)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Weekend (variant)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Club matches v other clubs

• Intra-club matches (e.g. groups of 5)

• Arena (get as many points in a certain length of time)

• None - membership list is enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone,

When the chess club started a few months ago, it was intended to be a short term thing lasting for the period of lockdown. However it has grown into a thriving community of ~100 members. With the ladder about to be completed, it's a good time to assess where we want to take this club over the second half of the year (if anywhere).

So I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Helpers wanted

As the club has grown, it's become harder to manage for one person. We are looking to appoint more Coordinators on chess.com for the club. That role means you can organise tournaments and manage them on this thread. Please indicate your interest, and if it is in a specific area let me know. I'll then take more of a step back and help where I can.

2) Tournaments

I've put a poll up where you can indicate the sort of tournaments you might want to have/continue. The poll will run for the rest of the month, so plenty of time for discussion. This is your club, after all!

Finally, thank you for your support in making this club what it is. I never thought it would get to this level of activity and membership when it first started only a few months ago.

Chipmunk.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in favour of the ladder competition continuing. Even if there's no prize after June 30, I'd be in favour of just having it around for fun. I'm sure nobody here joined the club because they wanted to win a badge.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe reset the ladder every 6 months like the end of season?

Back