Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Shorter games where all games are played in one day/evening

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Ladder, where you can challenge people above you to move up the ladder

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1000+ raters - can someone explain to me while the optimal move below is pawn to h6 - i moved my knight to d7

View attachment 859405

My guess is that it is to provide a retreat square on h7 for the f5 Bishop if white plays Nh4 to exchange it off. The computer analysis may be rating bishops slightly more than knights, but I really don't see it as a far superior move to Nd7 or any other development move. In some cases a flank pawn move like h6 is designed to prevent a minor piece coming to g5, but in this instance the knight and bishop on f3 and f4 have already moved. Ng5 doesn't cause any immediate threats, and the Bg5 pin can be countered by Be7 or moving the Queen along the Qd8-a5 diagonal.

Chipmunk

Just found out tonight that my chess.com account got disabled, no reasons given.

Only encountered one (non BF) player who was abusive in chat so I am wondering if it had something to do with that.

Anyway, was nice to get back into the game even if only for a short while.

So I just got this message, which must have been about you then. No idea if that helps but you were also taken off the membership, so I’ll ask further:

We have detected that one or more of your recent opponents has violated our Fair Play Policy. As compensation for potentially unfair rating losses, we adjusted your following ratings:

Bullet: 792 + 43 => 835
Blitz: 1883 + 19 => 1902

So I just got this message, which must have been about you then. No idea if that helps but you were also taken off the membership, so I’ll ask further:

We have detected that one or more of your recent opponents has violated our Fair Play Policy. As compensation for potentially unfair rating losses, we adjusted your following ratings:

Bullet: 792 + 43 => 835
Blitz: 1883 + 19 => 1902

That's interesting - I don't think I actually played you in a bullet game, so it might be someone else.

It's just speculative at this point, as before the first tournament started I did lose a lot of blitz games trying things out against bot opponents (which differs from my approach to human players) so if they detected a discrepancy there that might explain things.

That's interesting - I don't think I actually played you in a bullet game, so it might be someone else.

It's just speculative at this point, as before the first tournament started I did lose a lot of blitz games trying things out against bot opponents (which differs from my approach to human players) so if they detected a discrepancy there that might explain things.

Depends on whether me just being in the same tournament as you changes the coefficients. In any case, I’ve fired off a question, they say within 24 hours so I’ll keep you posted.

Depends on whether me just being in the same tournament as you changes the coefficients. In any case, I’ve fired off a question, they say within 24 hours so I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for enquiring.

Have also done the same and will PM you if I get a reply. Like with any competition the perception of integrity is important, so for now I think it would be best if I withdraw from the Bigfooty ladder.

Thanks for enquiring.

Have also done the same and will PM you if I get a reply. Like with any competition the perception of integrity is important, so for now I think it would be best if I withdraw from the Bigfooty ladder.

What I have done is I’ve put in the ladder that I’m playing you, which means no one else can challenge you. It is all speculation at the moment but I agree with you that if it is some kind of violation, withdrawal from the ladder is the most likely solution (though I’ll chat to Chief). It would be good if chess.com provided an explanation though and I hope it’s not the person you mentioned being abusive, as that appears petty.

Reading the help, they may allow you to open a new account and you could potentially enter the non-ladder tournaments. Still, all speculation so let’s see.

Chipmunk

Just found out tonight that my chess.com account got disabled, no reasons given.

Only encountered one (non BF) player who was abusive in chat so I am wondering if it had something to do with that.

Anyway, was nice to get back into the game even if only for a short while.
Email support, they will sort you out. They blocked my account from posting because I opened the club and put a link in my first post. It was flagged as spam.

Thanks Chief - have tried this route but I feel like I’m only hitting brick walls.

In their email they have stated there had been a violation of their Fair Play policy although no further details were provided. There is no avenue to plead a case and restoring my account is not an option, but despite this they also stated that I am still able to open another account, which I find a rather confusing outcome.

However, I won’t be taking up this offer. When Chipmunk asked earlier about my playing past, reminiscing about this made me seriously think about joining a local chess club when the lockdown finishes. Unfortunately the first website I looked at contained a memorial for a player I knew quite well who died in an MVA (after winning a tournament of all things). Before now I hadn’t realised this occurred, so it’s been a lot to take in. A couple of years before it happened I remember that he asked me to join, which I’m really regretting not doing now.

If that wasn’t enough, this morning I also received a report request for a coronial inquest regarding a former patient who had died. While it’s not material to the case, this patient was also a chess player and the only other person I’ve met who admitted to reading the entertaining “Karl Marx plays Chess.” The first chapter of this book describes a game between a futuristic supercomputer versus a Bobby Fischer coming out of cryogenesis. The game opens with 1.g4, with the annotation that 1.e4 has long ago been analysed to be a certain loss for white.

With all that in mind, my enthusiasm for the game has dipped considerably over the last day and trying to get an online account back seems insignificant in the overall scheme of things. The completely illogical fatalist part of me is telling me that chess isn’t something I should be getting involved in right now, and I am finding it hard to disagree.

As stated earlier, I can’t see any other acceptable alternative other than to withdraw from the BF Chess ladder and competitions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Chief - have tried this route but I feel like I’m only hitting brick walls.

In their email they have stated there had been a violation of their Fair Play policy although no further details were provided. There is no avenue to plead a case and restoring my account is not an option, but despite this they also stated that I am still able to open another account, which I find a rather confusing outcome.

However, I won’t be taking up this offer. When Chipmunk asked earlier about my playing past, reminiscing about this made me seriously think about joining a local chess club when the lockdown finishes. Unfortunately the first website I looked at contained a memorial for a player I knew quite well who died in an MVA (after winning a tournament of all things). Before now I hadn’t realised this occurred, so it’s been a lot to take in. A couple of years before it happened I remember that he asked me to join, which I’m really regretting not doing now.

If that wasn’t enough, this morning I also received a report request for a coronial inquest regarding a former patient who had died. While it’s not material to the case, this patient was also a chess player and the only other person I’ve met who admitted to reading the entertaining “Karl Marx plays Chess.” The first chapter of this book describes a game between a futuristic supercomputer versus a Bobby Fischer coming out of cryogenesis. The game opens with 1.g4, with the annotation that 1.e4 has long ago been analysed to be a certain loss for white.

With all that in mind, my enthusiasm for the game has dipped considerably over the last day and trying to get an online account back seems insignificant in the overall scheme of things. The completely illogical fatalist part of me is telling me that chess isn’t something I should be getting involved in right now, and I am finding it hard to disagree.

As stated earlier, I can’t see any other acceptable alternative other than to withdraw from the BF Chess ladder and competitions.

Just look after yourself mate, and only come back if you feel up to it. All the best, i'll always remember the times you wiped the floor with me.

That’s horrible to hear. And yes, an intention is that people like yourself either stay online and we compete as a club, or join a local club. You’ve been a great member and credit to the club, and are welcome to come back whenever you want. Our draw was so frustrating but rewarding at the same time. Happy to stick a game on a thread here if you don’t want to go back via chess.com. I’ll get back in touch post-ladder.

Take care mate.

That sounds terrible - no worries about withdrawing.

Last edited:
Back