Past Cheynee Stiller (2006-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he has shown enough to be that serviceable player you are always going to need on your list.

Agreed...I don't mind Stiller and reckon he has been ok this year without being great. I wouldn't have thought that we may have seen the last of him and would expect him to be around in 2012.

Round 15 vs Port Adelaide

Cheynee Stiller shocked everyone when his long-range effort beat the chasers and rolled over for a goal, which proved to be the game sealer.

stiller18.jpg

Link

The Lions wrapped up the match with the only two goals kicked in the final term including a 60m ball burster by Cheynee Stiller that cleared outstretched hands and bounced through.

Thought that i'd mention that Stiller has improved to the point I no longer worry as much, seems that perhaps he's feeling more comfortable with is role or abilities.

He has looked better since he has come back from the break. A bit more confidence, a bit more composure, a bit better decision making.

The calls for him to be dropped every week have died down too.

Just had a look at the HS stats from this weekend against the hawks, 15 disposals with 100% efficiency, should have had a free kick for head high contact included to be fair. BTW was actually looking for TOG also surpised to hear/learn from the commentary that Patfull is 100% TOG.

So has the sub rule saved Stillers career? or would he have been "good enough" regardless.

He has really improved this year imo, seems to win more contests and his kicking is better than I remember.

Deserves to stay on the list over others

He has really improved this year imo, seems to win more contests and his kicking is better than I remember.

Deserves to stay on the list over others

Yep, there is not a chance in hell that a guy who has missed only one game in a pretty consistent year would be moved on...I say sign him on for a few more.:thumbsu:

He is doing what our second tier players need to do - do their job and refine their skills and understanding of each other each week so they become players that are closer to the first tier players rather than the reserves.

Round 18 vs North Melbourne

Brent Harvey, after being kept quiet in the second quarter by a variety of opponents but namely Cheynee Stiller, worked his way back into the game after half-time for a total of 22 possessions.

stiller.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Jed Adcock

Both low possession players who generally chip the ball around in the backline.

Collier only played a few games too.

I'm not sure that's fair on Stiller. He has a pretty good boot on him.

Adrian Fletcher

Cheynee is low maintenance. You know he’s going to get the job done. He’s brave, he’ll go back with the flight of the ball. He can play long minutes, which you have to do in defence. He came on and was a strong contributor to that defensive six consistently.

stiller18.jpg

2011 End of Season Review

by doddgey

2010 review

Games: 21
Goals: 3
Sub: on = 0, off = 0
Emergency: 1
Time on ground: 87%
Best and Fairest: 19 votes (11th)
Dreamteam: 1315 points; $283,900 (-$17,400)
Supercoach: 1431 points; $343,200 (+$14,500)

Put The Whip Away

Playing 21 games for the year mainly off half back with some time also spent on the wing, Stiller rebounded from a disappointing 2010. Some of his highlights this year included the round 14 game against Freo where he had 25 disposals, his 60 metre goal against Port in round 15, and his defensive efforts against North in round 18 and against Adelaide in round 20 where he laid 8 tackles. The best moment of his year in my opinion was the mark he took going back inside the defensive 50 against Gold Coast in the second quarter of round 21, don’t let anyone tell you that this guy is not hard at it.

Cheynee Stiller epitomises the role of a foot soldier, “one who performs necessary but basic, often mundane tasks”. Every side needs these toilers, those who go out and give their all and provide a solid contribution to the team. They rarely provide brilliance and often go unnoticed in performing their roles. It is easy to under estimate their value to a side.

Taking that thought let’s look at Stiller’s worth to the Lions and whether or not he is in our best 22. 9th in contested possessions, 7th in uncontested possessions, 8th in contested marks, 5th in rebound 50’s, 7th in 1 percenters, 9th in kicks, 10th in handballs, 9th in disposals, 6th in marks, 10th in tackles, and 10th in the Merrett Murray award. The biggest criticism levelled at Cheynee is his disposals yet he finished the year 5th with 76%. You could argue that the Lions had a poor year so his finish is boosted by that, yet his 76% would have finished tied for 11th at Collingwood and tied 12th at Geelong.

Although he is not blessed with speed, his fitness and endurance is up there with the best and if he can work a little harder on his decision making ability and get some flow into his game he will rise well above the “foot soldier” ranks.

stiller.jpg

Foot soldier yes! Creative half back?, no hurt factor with his 76% efficiency.I've laid the boots into poor old Stiller, but his first season was his best. I promise I won't make further comment on him, I understand that we probably have no choice but to hold on to some of out foot soldiers at this stage.If we continue to improve this year, I doubt he will be in our best 22.

There is always a spot in the best 22 for a player like Stiller. You don't get 22 superstars on the field, you need solid players that will do the hard work so the match winners can do their thing.

Stiller certainly doesn't stand out, but he doesn't have to. We must remember our beloved premiership teams had plenty of foot soldiers in the ranks. We love them as club champions, but a few of them weren't anything special as a player. They just did what was asked of them. When every player in the 22 can perform their job, that's when you start winning those 'winable' games.

Exactly, he really deserves a spot on the team. I for one will be very unhappy if he gets traded or delisted. Love seeing him in the team.

Exactly, he really deserves a spot on the team. I for one will be very unhappy if he gets traded or delisted. Love seeing him in the team.

Don't worry, I don't think stiller will be getting traded. Unless ofcoarse there is such a thing as an 8th rounder we can get in return. Cue people telling me how solid he is ( like a fibre rich stool):p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back