xplo

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Just a bit of a wrap up for a guy who snuck off the rookie list and under everyone's guard.

In the midst of an incredibly tedious debate over whether Joel Selwood would be better than Marc Murphy, a table was put together comparing Murphy's debut 11 games to a list of previous debutants like Judd, Ball and Cooney -- based Finalsiren.com's rating system of average goals, disposals tackles etc.

While Murphy certainly compared very favourably, the interesting thing was a counter argument was floated pointing out the Cheynee Stiller equalled his rating for 11 games, and surpassed Murphy if you made the cut at 12 games (Murphy got injured in round 13).

For a guy who wasn't even our highest rated Rising Star, that's pretty impressive stuff. Ironically, it was the round 13 clash where Murphy got crunched that Stiller announced himself as a someone to watch by calmly slotting the winning goal after we'd kicked 7.22 or something similarly ridiculous.

Respect.

The thing I like most about Stiller, Selwood, Riska and Sherman is that even if they improve by only a little this year, they will still be decent players. All four can be pencilled into our best 22 without much question. But if they improve on the same trajectory as they displayed last year, then they will be very good players for us.

The other thing that will help those guys is that Black, Power and Lappin will still attract the opposition's best negating midfielders. Sides may pay a little more attention to Sherman but Stiller and Riska will still only match up on the 5th/6th best midfielders from the opposition. That has to help their ongoing development.

even though pearce was a worthy winner i really thought stiller was VERY unlucky to not win the rising star award

I was really impressed with Stiller last year. He came from nowhere and seized every opportunity he was given. He is a ball magnet who fits very nicely into our next generation midfield. Needs to improve his skills and what to do with the ball but it tends to be much easier to improve these skills rather than trying to teach players how to get more of the ball.

I agree with gooner to the extent that he was unlucky not to get more rising star votes but coming from Brisbane he was never going to win the big one. He is seriously underrated on BF with everyone outside of Brisbane really having no clue about how well he played this year.

He has as much a chance to be a star in the comp as any of the rising stars from this year. I am going to be hoping he continues to develop as there are still a lot of things for him to work on. Great prospect though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back