Teams Chicago Bears - Monsters of the Midway

Re: Chicago Bears-NO chance but MEH

I go for them but they lack depth,skill and leadership, i expect that to finish last in the NFC north ladder (1.GreenBay 2.Detroit 3.Vikings 4.Chicago) and about 24-32 in the overall ladder with the top 4 being Eagles,Patriots, Cheifs and Rams

I wouldn't be writing the Bears off too early.

They have a good defense, very good in parts, two very solid RB's and Grossman is better than he's been given credit for, and they have improved their receiving core dramatically.

If they can keep Grossman on the park and get a passing game happening - the Bears are "in" this division.

Green Bay are shakey and it wouldn't surprise me if they were very inconsistenent, the Lions have young talent but still lose crunch games and the Vikings are going to be somewhat of an unknown quantity.

If the Bears start well and Grossman's fit, I actually think they can make some real progress this season.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens

******** Grossman, Cedric Benson will be the difference.

Porthos said:
******** Grossman, Cedric Benson will be the difference.
i don't think benson will make a huge impact this season. grossman will be importnat, you have to remebers he has only played about 9-10 games in his career.

I really don't believe that Muhammad is the answer to all their prayers.

He's had two good years out of what ten?

Amazingly, those two years have come when he's coming out of contract.

He's a good player when he's on, no better. My nomination for Bust of the Year...

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

Grossman is looking like a bust to me. I expect Kyle Orton to be the future QB there. Don't know why they took a RB that early, Thomas Jones is a pretty good player.

grossman needs a bit of a chance. peyton manning was ordinary his first season, elway wasn't spectacular, young, favre. grossman needs a full season. if he and boller don't show imporvement this year then they may be busts

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC

Ron Turner their new OC wants a power running game. Thomas Jones is NOT a power runner, hence why they took Benson at #4. Grossman has shown enough in the games he's played to suggest he has a bright future, once again it comes down to the O-Line and how well they protect him.

I wouldn't rule them out of finishing over .500 at all though. They have a pretty good schedule, and their defense is easily top 5 in the league.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

While being a one eyed Packer boy the most exciting part of this season in the NFC North will be watching Cedrick Benson. Anyone wanna take bets on how many yards he will put to pay this season?

Ill give you 4-1 for 1000+ for the regular season, 8-1 for 1000-. Boys place your bets.

Cedrick is a machine and will run over 1200 in his first season and will also run in 15TDs.

I love him.

DonAce

All Australian
Veteran NFL Mock Draft Participant
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hutchinson Sucks

You were right, Hutchinson is worse than I feared. Thankfully, Orton got some reps with the first team and did okay.

Re: JeffDunne

Ugly wasn't it? :(

I've only read the play-by-play but I've got to say - ouch!

Trying to track down a copy of the game atm - this I gotta see. :D

There were some pretty poor QB performances accross all the preseason games so don't feel too bad. I reckon the time has come for Chicago though, they need to bet the house on a QB. Orton's not the answer.

Trade next seasons first, second and third round pick if need be for someone like Rivers.

This is beyond a joke.

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I read today that in 4 games our 1st team defence has not given away a single touchdown, that's a smothering unit right there, but it's wasted if the offence can't even hold onto the ball. This is against the Bills, Colts and Rams, as well, 3 pretty nice offences.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, truth be told, but it ain't the Hutch. The Bears don't have the cap room to eat Rivers' salary, more likely I think would be getting a guy like Volek or Brees in the next free agency period. I'm just hoping one of Orton or Blake can move the chains enough to give the defence a chance, otherwise it'll be another 5-11 season.

We sure as hell need Benson in camp, though.

EDIT: I just realised he got a 0.0 QB rating. Urgh. At least Ogunleye is getting a sack every time he takes the field.

crazy_big_al said:
or trade for tommy maddox
He looked pretty good yesterday . . . well better than Ben anyway (sorry Woodson). In fact with Ben's preseason form and Staley's injury, the Steelers are looking like they might be slow starters this season.

I agree, he'd be a very good get for Chicago atm.

Blake can do a job for them - but he won't win them games. The defence might though if he can at least keep the offense error free. I'd start him ahead of the other two.

BTW - can someone change the title of this thread? :p

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

Jeff Blake is terrible. You won't win any games with him in there. I would just play Orton who was a steal in the 4th round, he had quite a good college career. Trading for a Tommy Maddox or Jon Kitna type could be worthwhile if you don't give up a first day pick but really they are just stop-gaps.

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Orton was named starter yesterday, it's up to the gods now, if he doesn't show something then god knows who they will put in.

Maybe they'll give Jeff George a call again. :p

At least Benson finally signed.

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

5 days, actually. I was quite impressed. :p

It all pretty much rests on Orton now, for good or bad.

But at least we have a stadium, poor Saints. :(

JeffDunne said:
He looked pretty good yesterday . . . well better than Ben anyway (sorry Woodson). In fact with Ben's preseason form and Staley's injury, the Steelers are looking like they might be slow starters this season.

I agree, he'd be a very good get for Chicago atm.

Blake can do a job for them - but he won't win them games. The defence might though if he can at least keep the offense error free. I'd start him ahead of the other two.

BTW - can someone change the title of this thread? :p

If Tommy is happy to leave, I'll wish him well. I still think that nobody can be sure what 'attitude & mind set' players are in when playing dinky practise games (two drives?) when they are MORE conscience about keeping healthy & ready for the real stuff. I know a fair few folks gave me a hard time when I talked up Holcombe (now with the Bills), but Holcombe is a very handy pick up there. Anyway football on all scales can be a funny game. Things can certainly change very very suddenly.

btw JD, sorry to hear about New Orleans. Hope things work out well soon. Read that Brett Favre has concerns about family in the tragedy.

Grimmett

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2005
Home
Re: NFL suspends Tank Johnson first eight games of '07 season

Goodell, putting the GOOD back into the NFL!

Certainly seems to be making a statement as far as character is concerned.

Not too hard to make a statement here though. Tank Johnson represents many of the bad aspects of professional sport in the US.
Good on Goodell. :thumbsu:

CONS_SS

Premiership Player
NFL Board HoF NFL Draft Comp Participant NFL Mock Draft Participant Armchair Endzone Participant
Feb 2, 2006
Other Teams
DALLAS COWBOYS
Re: NFL suspends Tank Johnson first eight games of '07 season

good. he'll miss the game against Dallas

Back