Analysis Chicken McNuggets, Destroyed Houses and the Importance of Chris Masten

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth
i have defended masten over the years and i have come up with a similar conclusion. His 2015 season was exceptional and imo underrated by us fans. BUt thats season our midfield was in total control and we were winning the contested ball nearly every week. Masten needs to be fed or else he goes to s**t. He's not like Gaff in the sense where he can win his own ball when actually needed and thats why he is a C grade mid. When you look at some of the best midfields in the comp they don't have too many one dimentional midfielders and if they do, those guys tend to be top tier mids. I think contested ball and clearances will the areas we need to look at improving as its in those area where NN influence will be felt. It has to be a collective effort from our midfield aand even the guys in the wings have to win their share of CP's and Clearances. IMO Duggan, sheed, Yeo and a couple of other mids collectively could make up for Mastens input on the outside but are also much superior contested players.

I saw the bit about handpassing and i disagree. For a pure winger he handballs a lot. Not many wingers have a 1: 1 kick to handball ratio
C grader? I'll take that from you. A few weeks ago you would have said he's a d grader. Looks like my job is working. #winning

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
C grader? I'll take that from you. A few weeks ago you would have said he's a d grader. Looks like my job is working. #winning
if you actually pay attention im not really a hater. Sure sometimes i do it to get you going. i like him but i belive that he needs to get better to be in the side.

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Our biggest issue is actually the use of our structures and the squad selection continuously being far too top heavy.
I see it like this; replace three talls with three smalls and we win that elimination final against the Bulldogs...

...And it is along this road that the next article in this preseason series shall venture.
That's a stretch. Which three talls and which three smalls? Brown is the obvious omission (his inclusion drew the ire of all and sundry before, during and after that game).

Redden, Duggan and Nelson (Jetta had a small calf complaint, get it? ;)) were the three emergencies and fit the bill as "smalls" given they're not KP players. But you'd have to omit two of Giles, Lycett (with his dodgy knee), Schofield, Barrass, Gov, JK, and Darling.

Giles and Lycett got 44 hitouts between them and not much else, while Roughead got 17 hitouts but was marginally more effective across the ground than either. Schofield was also a bit rubbish.

Clearly the Dogs won that match on the ground (Daniel and Dahlhaus were an incredible one-two punch), but I don't think Duggan and Nelson would've been anywhere near as good.

The argument would have to be along the lines of Nelson squashing Dahlhaus early in the game, and Duggan having a blinder by out-pointing Daniel in terms of attacking efficiency. But s**t I'm making the case for you (Brown, Lycett and Schofield out for Redden, Duggan and Nelson) so let's put a pin in it until your next preseason instalment :D

Last edited:

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Masten is the type of player who at his best can help get you to a GF but he is not the type of player that can help you win one.Under pressure he goes missing.Any stats showing [a] home and away games and finals games?

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
Masten is the type of player who at his best can help get you to a GF but he is not the type of player that can help you win one.Under pressure he goes missing.Any stats showing [a] home and away games and finals games?

22-02-2017 3-34-09 PM.jpg

As you can see, he's a hardened big game player averaging career high tackles in finals.

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
Never forget the golden rule of statistics; correlation does not mean causation. As Masten is essentially an outside receiver his numbers wax and wane according to how the team is doing. Only on a few rare occasions has he lead from the front. His stats need to be viewed in context.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 338969

As you can see, he's a hardened big game player averaging career high tackles in finals.
Never forget the golden rule of statistics; correlation does not mean causation. As Masten is essentially an outside receiver his numbers wax and wane according to how the team is doing. Only on a few rare occasions has he lead from the front. His stats need to be viewed in context.
Finals have much greater intensity as well and tackle number should increase. I havent looked at average tackles during home/away and finals. That may or may not support my argument tho.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
If Masten can run all day Why doesnt he be a link man like rojo but also has footskills . Why doesnt he run around and get the handballs like cousins did . He lacks a side step or evasion skills and doesnt have the spatial awareness of his surroundings . He has better stamina than the #1 in 2016 for outside gets so we expect him to do something .

Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth
If Masten can run all day Why doesnt he be a link man like rojo but also has footskills . Why doesnt he run around and get the handballs like cousins did . He lacks a side step or evasion skills and doesnt have the spatial awareness of his surroundings . He has better stamina than the #1 in 2016 for outside gets so we expect him to do something .
Perhaps we need to utiliser him better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I don't think Masten is a bad player - just like Cripps, he's very low on confidence and it is showing.

Though for some reason Masten has copped the WAFL treatment and Cripps hasn't...though injuries to Venables and Rioli probably explain that.

I'd be happy for him to stay on as depth next year and would be pretty comfortable for him to be a regular 22 player granted he can find touch.

Else I think he could be a useful pick up for another side, probably for a 3rd rounder.

Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth
Taking my sponsor had of for a moment, he is 1 of many that needs to do. I've heard some say we need a mini rebuild, quite frankly we need a clean out. I'm talking from the very top all the way down through our coaches to our players.
Match Committee: no idea who they are but the all should be taken out the back and flogged. How it took the power of social media to get Parto to have a gig is beyond me. Lecca, Priddis, Cripps, Masto all given too ma u chances.
Recruiting: I recently read that our recruiting staff is the biggest and most expensive off all clubs!!! What the *. How is that possible. If the whole board could see we should have got McGov Jnr over Lamb and SPP over Venables then how can they not see it? (not saying anything about Venables, he will be a great player but why recruit an injured player over a Starting 22 player in a 'premiership window'). I personally think that because of our past we now recruit safer picks rather than anyone that is too my of a bad boy. They dont wanna go down that path again.
Development: apart from Sheed, who has improved immensely this year every single player has gone backwards. How is that possible? Lamb was decent when he came to us. What happened? Duggan was a gun! Why hasebr he progressed. I'm tired of looking at other teams who constantly bring at least 2/3 new players in every year and they actually IMPROVE!! Who was our last youngster to come in and make an impact? Priddis? And not just our youngster by in my eyes Shuey has massively dropped of this year. I know he cops a lot of attention but shouldn't they teach him how better to deal with a tag or teach others to block for him.
Simpson: too soft on our players. Not o my that but isn't quick enough in the coaches box. Poor man's Woosha. Everyone laughed at Sumich, he would have up playibg finals.
Hurn: getting better over the last month but in my opinion isn't enough of a on field leader. Time for a change, JK looks to be the only leader out there.
Retirements: no options should be given. Bartel, Chapman, Kelly all given the tap by the cats and they are better of for it. Lecca, Butler, should join Priddis and Mitchell. Masto, Wellers, Runners, McInnis, Giles...i could go on but they all need to be traded or delisted.
Subi Oval: not good enough that a deal hasn't been done yet. Our club should have agreed a deal by now.
My Recommendation: it's hard to know where our list really is. I fell if we had the right coach we could actually content. My pitch would be this. Make a bold move to Paul Roos, offer him an open cheque book and the summer off to be with his family. Offer Sumich a director of coaching role with him taking over in 3 years after roos. Recruit some good coaches to have around them, much like Woosha has. Look at Eade and Buckley, both of which will need a new job. Then after all the retirees throw the cheque book at Kelly or Dusty. And the recruit some actually midfielders. And finally end the East Perth deal and actually get ourselves a team. /end rant #mastoforpm

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Taking my sponsor had of for a moment, he is 1 of many that needs to do. I've heard some say we need a mini rebuild, quite frankly we need a clean out. I'm talking from the very top all the way down through our coaches to our players.
Match Committee: no idea who they are but the all should be taken out the back and flogged. How it took the power of social media to get Parto to have a gig is beyond me. Lecca, Priddis, Cripps, Masto all given too ma u chances.
Recruiting: I recently read that our recruiting staff is the biggest and most expensive off all clubs!!! What the ****. How is that possible. If the whole board could see we should have got McGov Jnr over Lamb and SPP over Venables then how can they not see it? (not saying anything about Venables, he will be a great player but why recruit an injured player over a Starting 22 player in a 'premiership window'). I personally think that because of our past we now recruit safer picks rather than anyone that is too my of a bad boy. They dont wanna go down that path again.
Development: apart from Sheed, who has improved immensely this year every single player has gone backwards. How is that possible? Lamb was decent when he came to us. What happened? Duggan was a gun! Why hasebr he progressed. I'm tired of looking at other teams who constantly bring at least 2/3 new players in every year and they actually IMPROVE!! Who was our last youngster to come in and make an impact? Priddis? And not just our youngster by in my eyes Shuey has massively dropped of this year. I know he cops a lot of attention but shouldn't they teach him how better to deal with a tag or teach others to block for him.
Simpson: too soft on our players. Not o my that but isn't quick enough in the coaches box. Poor man's Woosha. Everyone laughed at Sumich, he would have up playibg finals.
Hurn: getting better over the last month but in my opinion isn't enough of a on field leader. Time for a change, JK looks to be the only leader out there.
Retirements: no options should be given. Bartel, Chapman, Kelly all given the tap by the cats and they are better of for it. Lecca, Butler, should join Priddis and Mitchell. Masto, Wellers, Runners, McInnis, Giles...i could go on but they all need to be traded or delisted.
Subi Oval: not good enough that a deal hasn't been done yet. Our club should have agreed a deal by now.
My Recommendation: it's hard to know where our list really is. I fell if we had the right coach we could actually content. My pitch would be this. Make a bold move to Paul Roos, offer him an open cheque book and the summer off to be with his family. Offer Sumich a director of coaching role with him taking over in 3 years after roos. Recruit some good coaches to have around them, much like Woosha has. Look at Eade and Buckley, both of which will need a new job. Then after all the retirees throw the cheque book at Kelly or Dusty. And the recruit some actually midfielders. And finally end the East Perth deal and actually get ourselves a team. /end rant #mastoforpm
Quality rant

10/10

Should rant again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back