Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

DSCN0183.jpg

Pekin Xs going along well.

Nothing yet, they must be due soon judging from when I first posted about them in this thread.

I've set her up in her own self-contained apartment in the bottom part of the hutch now so she's free from the others hassling her. And from the dog - who seems to still have a weird obsession with her that he doesn't have for the hylines.

So when (if) the chicks are born can I just keep chucking pellets and scraps in there like normal to feed them?

If you put them under around the 25th the should be ready within the next day or so by my count.. Should take 21 days, occasionally 20 or 22.

Right at the start they'll likely need something a bit smaller to eat, some people buy chick food but I've never bothered and always just given them rolled oats or wet wheetbix to start them off.

s**t just got home this arvo and one Sussex had hatched but it had been dragged away from the nest and is injured and probably going to die. I think the older little ones must have gone for its broken shell to eat and pecked it badly in the process mistaking it for 'food' :(. Moved Baldy and her eggs away into their own pen, never thought that the other ones would do that.

Not as of last night. Just got home after being out all day so I'll have another look tomorrow morning.
Well it's a few days past 21 now, they might be duds unfortunately.

Although after the dead 2 I got a sussex out 2 days ago and another yesterday, weird how they have been staggered like this and hopefully some more hatch. But if you put them under yourself altogether they should pretty much all hatch together on exactly 3 weeks.

Well it's a few days past 21 now, they might be duds unfortunately.

Looks like it unfortunately.

Just checked then and one of the little eggs has a bunch of cracks in it but I can't hear anything inside. That was the same one I found rolled out to the other side of the enclosure a couple of days ago. The others are showing no signs of hatching at all.

Looks like it unfortunately.

Just checked then and one of the little eggs has a bunch of cracks in it but I can't hear anything inside. That was the same one I found rolled out to the other side of the enclosure a couple of days ago. The others are showing no signs of hatching at all.
Well that's a shame. It can occasionally happen though them not working for whatever reason, probably not anything to do with the chook not doing it's job sitting either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah same lot above that hatched on Dec 13.

Got 30 little-uns now of different ages running around, brother was up from Perth the other day, he thinks I'm mad ha.

You are mad, crazy chicken man.

Somebody has to do it though. Just say you're a heritage breeder.

G'day chicken lovers,

Does anyone (in Perth) want to swap a 2 year old, constantly broody, non egg laying black Autralorp for a decent layer?

She has gone broody twice in the past 3 months and hasn't pushed out an egg in that time. She is really friendly though, but I'm in it for the eggs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456139277.776754.jpg

Hi guys one of my chickens (fluffy) hasn't laid for a couple of days. And my partner said tonight she looked "funny". Above is a picture of her. She is eating and drinking, she had a "dag" which we had to cut of over the weekend.

Should we be concerned?

I had chickens for a while but they weren't as responsive as my Guinea Pigs so I sold them in favour of some new rabbits.

After not seeing anything there for months managed to score about 100kg of decent wheat from a CBH scrap bin today. It's been costing us like $70+ a month to feed 30+ birds.

Also had 3 chooks over the winter just quickly drop dead, last year I took one crook one to the vet that was wheezing and she said it had a virus, hope nothing is running through them.

DSCN0326.jpg

Silkie/Pekins getting bigger and feathered. They are extremely friendly, should be great pets, hopefully they are mostly hens.
3 of these were roosters, 2 quickly got homes but the other unfortunately died from sour crop I think. The other is a ridiculously tiny hen that I still have. A good friendly cross that make great pets, seen the bloke the other day I gave one too and he said his kids really love the roo.

One of my chooks suddenly died yesterday too. I didn't think she was that old either, it will be interesting to see whether my egg numbers go down now, or whether she actually was older than I thought and wasn't contributing much to the laying.

Buried her under the vegie patch and planted an asparagus plant I bought the other day over the top... and so the cycle of life continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back