Games & Recreation Childhood toys that take your nostalgia to 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Super Trumps / Top Trumps

$_1.JPG

ulsbGeuWRw2KnhIAX6rq

MarvelSuperHeroesCardGame03.jpg

I am a tad stunned boys even had sleepovers.

Assumed it was more a girl thing.

I remember having them with 3 or 4 good mates in primary school.

It's not like we had pillow fights in our pyjamas and talked about boys we had a crush on, was more video games, fighting until somebody actually got hurt, junk food, staying up super late, making a s**t ton of noise until whoever's parents were got the shits and shut it down.

Back the day video games meant a SNES/Mega Drive and a small TV, so the idea of being able to sleep in the same room as the games and have friends and snacks was pretty exciting. Dunno if it's the same now given kids can just sit at a computer/tablet/phone anywhere and play with their friends remotely.

I remember having them with 3 or 4 good mates in primary school.

It's not like we had pillow fights in our pyjamas and talked about boys we had a crush on, was more video games, fighting until somebody actually got hurt, junk food, staying up super late, making a sh*t ton of noise until whoever's parents were got the shits and shut it down.
:tearsofjoy: :thumbsupv1:

And of course the female equivalent of that would be to engage in psychological warfare until someone got hurt.
(fwiw, my mates were pretty good, except for two famous bitch fights in Grade 5 and Year 7, everyone pretty much got along)

Freddie Trueman's Test Match

69m0tee9zf941.jpg
Circa 1960s early 70s.

Mine was an older version >
1606770779615.png
Although my favourite childhood toys were >
1606770877503.png

Other fond childhood memories- Boys Brigade, exploring the bush and streets around home, playing soccer, family beachside camping during school holidays.

Lego is a part of everyone's childhood, but I'm surely not alone in certain models/themes flicking the nostalgia switch.

For me it's the medieval castle, Blacktron, and pirates sets from the 90s. Hoo boy.

Yeah we had some sort of medieval castle but no instructions so just created our own design each time. Did like the horses from that set as well. The kids lego these days, we have sharks, snow dogs and a few other pets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anyone forced to go to church as a child? I was- I remember attending Sunday school up until about Grade 6.

Then joined the Youth Group around that same time, every Friday night.

Thankfully my mum grew out of her church phase, and we stopped going maybe around Year 9-10.

First time i went to a church (that i can remember) was my cousins wedding and i was mid 20s

Circa 1960s early 70s.

Mine was an older version >

Other fond childhood memories- Boys Brigade, exploring the bush and streets around home, playing soccer, family beachside camping during school holidays.

Thank christ my parents never enforced camping upon us (unlike school) kids, we had a holiday house.

Other memories- backyard cricket, particularly on christmas day. Tonnes of fun. Hahaha "6 and out" over the fence, bounce off the wall = one hand catch and auto wicket keeper

Lol how the hell does that cricket game even work.. :confusedv1:

We had that version was great. The bowler moves the slide to the delivery number and back to the right - it has a certain delivery name. The batter then moves his slide to that delivery and back to the right to get the number of runs or a wicket.

I loved it

Was anyone forced to go to church as a child? I was- I remember attending Sunday school up until about Grade 6.

Then joined the Youth Group around that same time, every Friday night.

Thankfully my mum grew out of her church phase, and we stopped going maybe around Year 9-10.
Mum was Catholic and dad was wishy washy colonial C of E that required god to be an Englishman and not much else. They were happy not to pass on the archaic, ridiculous belief systhem forced on them to their kids.

Mum was Catholic and dad was wishy washy colonial C of E that required god to be an Englishman and not much else. They were happy not to pass on the archaic, ridiculous belief systhem forced on them to their kids.

Lol fair enough. End of the day I'd take church over camping!

Thank christ my parents never enforced camping upon us (unlike school) kids, we had a holiday house.

Other memories- backyard cricket, particularly on christmas day. Tonnes of fun. Hahaha "6 and out" over the fence, bounce off the wall = one hand catch and auto wicket keeper
Loved the camping as a kid, I was around 7 years old to 12-13 when it was a regular event so very few chores to perform, my brother I and the other kids at the camp grounds didn't have much to do other than swim and make a nuisance of ourselves lairising around the place.

Loved the camping as a kid, I was around 7 years old to 12-13 when it was a regular event so very few chores to perform, my brother I and the other kids at the camp grounds didn't have much to do other than swim and make a nuisance of ourselves lairising around the place.

The one brilliant thing about camping- camp fires. I'll pay that.

As I've got older my inability to be more than 50 metres away from a reliable source of hot water has limited my camping options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back