Games & Recreation Childhood toys that take your nostalgia to 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I miss getting mixed lollies from the milk bar.

Musk sticks, fruit sticks, whizz fizz, redskins, toffee apples (absolute travesty they are not made any more), mates, snakes, bananas and teeth.

That was pretty much my go tos. And ****.
In my childhood there were corner stores all around the place, my grandma lived near one and we used to delight on our visits going there and buying 2cents worth of mixed lollies, loved musk sticks and still do. A bit later in childhood I developed a love for lolly gobble bliss bombs.

I also remember having a glass of lemonade as a treat at grandmas.

In my childhood there were corner stores all around the place, my grandma lived near one and we used to delight on our visits going there and buying 2cents worth of mixed lollies, loved musk sticks and still do. A bit later in childhood I developed a love for lolly gobble bliss bombs.

I also remember having a glass of lemonade as a treat at grandmas.

My nana ALWAYS had minties on her/in her handbag.

Always.

Are these still around?

9f514ca09505dd781ef93e48c23d00bd.jpg

And fantale bars. Its like one giant fantale... in a bar.

FWIW, i reckon they changed the recipe to Curly Wurlys. They're just not as good anymore.

My nana ALWAYS had minties on her/in her handbag.

Always.
Not a mintie fan, stuck to the teeth or roof of the mouth.

Good old fashion fish and chips were great, had a shop across the road from school and used to go there at lunch for a serving of chips and a couple scallops, IIRC it cost 5 cents.

Not a mintie fan, stuck to the teeth or roof of the mouth.

Good old fashion fish and chips were great, had a shop across the road from school and used to go there at lunch for a serving of chips and a couple scallops, IIRC it cost 5 cents.

Nah i love minties. Still buy them once in a while.

Its mentos i cant stand. Yuck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss getting mixed lollies from the milk bar.

Musk sticks, fruit sticks, whizz fizz, redskins, toffee apples (absolute travesty they are not made any more), mates, snakes, bananas and teeth.

That was pretty much my go tos. And ****.
Even taking inflation into account lollies are so much more expensive these days. Being able to go to the Deli (/Milk Bar) and get a heap of lollies for a reasonable price was great. Ironic you can't do that these days yet a truly obese kid was rare back when a kid, yet common now. Similarly you could get lots of treats at school canteen for a reasonable price. Now they a) barely on the menu (you must eat healthy at school as you'll eat s**t at home) and b) like elsewhere much more expensive (comparatively).

Icy poles/ice creams: Sharks (best icy pole of all time), take twos, buffalo bills, paddle pops full size version.

Was never a sunny boy fan tho.
Ice poles, buffalo bills, paddle pops were the one's had most as a kid as 'treat' icecreams. Zooper doopers were/are a different category IMO. Those we had at home during summer and would often have 2 - 4 a day on a hot day. The others only from Deli / Milk Bar or out somewhere else.

Paddle Pops brings back another Nostalgia one. The competitions that they had with trying to get matching sticks to win prizes. Yeah, there's McDonald's monopoly now, but their food tasting like s**t aside, it doesn't seem aimed at kids as the Paddle Pop one's were (or at least felt that way).

Even taking inflation into account lollies are so much more expensive these days. Being able to go to the Deli (/Milk Bar) and get a heap of lollies for a reasonable price was great. Ironic you can't do that these days yet a truly obese kid was rare back when a kid, yet common now. Similarly you could get lots of treats at school canteen for a reasonable price. Now they a) barely on the menu (you must eat healthy at school as you'll eat sh*t at home) and b) like elsewhere much more expensive (comparatively).
I can honestly say I remember zero fat kids when I was at school in the 60s early 70s, it certainly helped that there was no screen distractions other than channels 2, 7 & 9 then O a bit later.

Ice poles, buffalo bills, paddle pops were the one's had most as a kid as 'treat' icecreams. Zooper doopers were/are a different category IMO. Those we had at home during summer and would often have 2 - 4 a day on a hot day. The others only from Deli / Milk Bar or out somewhere else.

Paddle Pops brings back another Nostalgia one. The competitions that they had with trying to get matching sticks to win prizes. Yeah, there's McDonald's monopoly now, but their food tasting like sh*t aside, it doesn't seem aimed at kids as the Paddle Pop one's were (or at least felt that way).

I was never a rainbow as a kid- always chocolate or choc/mint.

I am a full convert now to rainbow tho- is an underrated paddle pop imho.

Even taking inflation into account lollies are so much more expensive these days. Being able to go to the Deli (/Milk Bar) and get a heap of lollies for a reasonable price was great. Ironic you can't do that these days yet a truly obese kid was rare back when a kid, yet common now. Similarly you could get lots of treats at school canteen for a reasonable price. Now they a) barely on the menu (you must eat healthy at school as you'll eat sh*t at home) and b) like elsewhere much more expensive (comparatively).

And lollies are smaller these days - so many are the same product but about 30%-50% smaller and as you say much more expensive.

Kids used to have to walk to the shop to get their lollies, mums now drive them or have them in their pantry (along with people eating alot more take away, kids not playing outside and whole heap of reasons for childhood obesity)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back