Games & Recreation Childhood toys that take your nostalgia to 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I've tried drinking tea but didn't like the taste so never took up that habit, I didn't like the taste of beer at first either but it got you drunk so I persisted with it.

Tea is great when I'm sick.

You dont want coffee when you're ill. Tea hits the spot.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Sprite and 7up aren't lemonade, they are 'lemon lime soft drink'. But to 99.9% of Australians they are what lemonade is.

I reckon if you gave most people a blind taste test of Sprite, 7up and Schweppes lemonade here they couldn't tell the difference. I've never had a Sprite and thought it was lemon lime anything, it's just bubbly sugar water.

I haven't seen Schweppes traditional lemonade for years, but Bundaberg make it. It's closer to Solo/Lift than it is Sprite/7up.

brew-lemonade.png

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Sprite and 7up aren't lemonade, they are 'lemon lime soft drink'. But to 99.9% of Australians they are what lemonade is.

I reckon if you gave most people a blind taste test of Sprite, 7up and Schweppes lemonade here they couldn't tell the difference. I've never had a Sprite and thought it was lemon lime anything, it's just bubbly sugar water.

I haven't seen Schweppes traditional lemonade for years, but Bundaberg make it. It's closer to Solo/Lift than it is Sprite/7up.

brew-lemonade.png
First sprite cans in australia had lemonade written on can as the marketers thought that’s what will make us understand what it is

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Comparing the taste of tea to things like beer and coffee is a bit lol. Any sensible tea is tame as, and we probably start it a lot earlier (with bikkies at grandparents/church/etc.) so that we forget the first impressions. I became addicted to coffee when I was like 10, but I still recall not being keen on the stuff in the years beforehand. Tea on the other hand is more accessible, ubiquitous, not necessarily as essential or addictive, more refreshing.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
My ultimate games room would have a pool table (3/4 size), 2 x daytonas, and an air hockey table. + bar + a giant TV screen + couch = done.

Reckon ive posted this post on here a few times lol. Need to meet someone rich..
I always preferred this to Daytona, I wasn't much good at Daytona..

maxresdefault.jpg

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've got some "Nighty Night" tea that's made from herbs and spices and is supposed to assist with a calming and relaxing sleep.

It tastes and smells like something you'd scrape off the bottom of a lawnmower. I reckon they saw me coming

==

This afternoon I was watching Ash vs Evil Dead on Netflix. It reminded me that I had a copy of the game from the original Evil Dead movie on Commodore 64. On a bootleg cassette of "turbo games" that did the rounds at school. Had other classics like Yie Ar Kung Foo and Way of the Exploding Fist on it. (River Raid reference above reminded me of it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about songs from tv shows...

That raises an interesting topic - which Play School intro and presenters did you grow up with? It's a show that quite a lot of us would've watched nearly every day as a kid, and for a lot of people on the board their own kids as well. This is the intro I remember very well, and presenters such as Justine, Teo, Jay, Karen, Alex and Leah were mainstays on our TV

That raises an interesting topic - which Play School intro and presenters did you grow up with? It's a show that quite a lot of us would've watched nearly every day as a kid, and for a lot of people on the board their own kids as well. This is the intro I remember very well, and presenters such as Justine, Teo, Jay, Karen, Alex and Leah were mainstays on our TV

Phillip Quast was on it when I was growing up - he was Javert in the 10th Anniversary concert of Les Miz.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Lorraine Bayly, when I was growing up. I also watched Play School with my 3 grandchildren while looking after them, my favourites then were Justine and Karen, I was also keen on Charli from Hi 5.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lorraine Bayly, when I was growing up. I also watched Play School with my 3 grandchildren while looking after them, my favourites then were Justine and Karen, I was also keen on Charli from Hi 5.
Justine Clarke on playschool and the original Hi 5 girls of Charli, Kathleen and Kelli made having to watch kids TV more than bearable when my boys were younger.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well I read through this thread, and no-one has bought these ones up, so I'm re-birthing the thread from the back pages to do so:

Back in the day when an Australian manufacturer(remember them? really places this story in a time and place long lost to history) called R&L, could mass produce, in a fetid part of inner Melbourne(also known as Richmond :p), small, plastic choking hazards that they would then place into the sort of cereal only kids with finely honed sweet teeth could appreciate,(Looking at you Frosties), I used to voraciously collect the things.

Various series were the Astro Nits, the Whirligigs, and my personal favourite, the Tooly Birds, but probably best known were the Crater Critters.
I left home at 18, forgetting about the box of them I left behind safe in the attic. And my Mum threw them out, (along with my matchbox and hot wheels tracks :mad:)

Amazingly, one had survived in my possession as I moved through thousands of share houses. When I had kids of my own old enough not to swallow it, I bought it out to their cries of joy, and laughter.

Dog got it in the end. :'(

Barry Divola wrote a hilarious book called "Searching for Kingly Critter" which my sister bought for me one Christmas.

A kind of catalogue is here:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back