Chimay Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Former

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2001
Brisbane
Not long ago (on an age-of-the-Universe scale) one of the Chimay brews (Blue?) was voted (or touted as being generally accepted as) best beer in the world.

I can't say I see the attraction. It is nice if you want to pony up the $7 a stubby but... best in the world?

Its good on occasions, but definately not close to worlds best imo.
Perhaps they were judging it on its price tag. surely.

Other than Stella Artois, Belgian beers are generally overrated and marketed on gimmicks. I don't care if Chimay is made by trappist monks, it's an odd-tasting drop and nothing out of the ordinary. Likewise Leffe, big price tag but you pay for fancy bottles, and it tastes like vomit.

I think the mark of a good beer is not something where you have one glass and think it's good or interesting, but how you would go drinking ONLY that for a night, be it 3 or 5 or 20 units. Some beers might make an impression early, but you couldn't go several in a row. Just my opinion of course.

A lot of people don't get the best out of beers like the Chimay one because they do not pour it correctly and chill it too much. The Chimay Grand Reserve should be consumed at just under room temperature. Definitely one of the best beers I have tried, but at $20 for a 750mL bottle, it is hard to justify drinking regularly.

Appleyard said:
That's interesting because I think Stella is horrible. "Wife beater" type stuff. Pommy louts guzzle it because it is cheap and strong.
Agree, comfortably the world's most overrated beer along with Carlsberg and Becks.

year of the roo said:
Agree, comfortably the world's most overrated beer along with Carlsberg and Becks.

Carlsberg is and always has been disgusting, and Beck's has been brewed in Sydney for the last year or so. The change in taste since being made locally is quite obvious. The tap version has been made in Australia for a while and has always been ordinary.

Hoegaarden Le Grande kicks balls but it's about 10 bucks a stubbie

Too hard to pick a "best" or "favourite" beer.

Too many variables - the beer that might taste best after being in the sun all day is different to the beer I want sitting around a campfire in the middle of winter.

One of the best beers I ever had was an Asahi, on tap, in Japan. Far better than the Asahi we buy here in Australia (which is still a pretty good drop).

Belgian beers are most definitely not overrated, they just need to be consumed the right way that's all. Wide mouth goblet so the beer can breath, in a clean watered glass, and not just poured down the throat like skulling pots you must savour and appreciate the complexities of the taste. Drinking really good belgian beers is more like drinking wine, with some nice food, good company et al. My personal favourite belgian beer is Triple Karmeliet, and in white beers it is Brugs which i prefer over Hoegaarden because it has a fruity citrusy edge to it. But as mentioned above it's each to their own, a lot of people dont like distinctive beers because it's foreign to their taste buds and drinking style, that's fine too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just a question- the say that corona is a very average beer in mexico....so what are the good ones in mexico?

Lingsface said:
just a question- the say that corona is a very average beer in mexico....so what are the good ones in mexico?

Modelo Especial & Sol are 2 well known ones, but yeah Corona is definately a Mexican Beer drank by internationals rather than mexicans.

Corona is actually called Coronita in spain. There's some useless info.

I drank XX in mexico, i was told that's the best beer in meckiko.

And also, Corona comes in a short more rounded dark green bottle in most parts of mexico, not the tall clear bottle like everywhere else. Must be like heineken in netherlands where it comes in a brown bottle, only the exports have green bottles.

Deej said:
Corona is actually called Coronita in spain. There's some useless info.

I drank XX in mexico, i was told that's the best beer in meckiko.

Deej when I was there they laugh at people who drink Corona - from what the Mexicans told me it seems to be their equivalent of West End - when i ordered one at a Cantina the guy next to me said it was "Gringo's Beer" - they think the practice of putting a slice of lemon in it as the funniest thing ever

FrangaRoo said:
Modelo Especial & Sol are 2 well known ones, but yeah Corona is definately a Mexican Beer drank by internationals rather than mexicans.
Just like Fosters for us. Everyone overseas drinks it, but we think its crap, well at least I do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back