Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken in his shorts again.

To be fair to the sackable one he was probably dragged over from training for the photo.

He wouldn't be in the meetings.

Well you'd ****ing hope not anyway.

Who is going to the game in China in 2020?

I will be in attendance again. The handbrake/fun police/my moral compass will also be in attendance.

I will be in attendance again. The handbrake/fun police/my moral compass will also be in attendance.

I'm trying to get there but need a few things to go right first.

I'm going with a bunch of mates, probably do the lawn again - no handbrake in sight.

Tony Zhang has updated his Linkedin profile

Tony Zhang
Chief Representative, Greater China, Port Adelaide Football Club
Jing’an District, Shanghai, China

About
Tony is the Chief Representative of Port Adelaide Football Club for Greater China. The Club has a goal of assisting Chinese companies, who have or interested in having business in Australia, in managing their government relations, public relations, and communicating with the Australian media. The club can help its Chinese clients to make their investment process in Australia more smooth and their business understood by the Australian community.

Tony was appointed to the Head of NSW State Government Office in Shanghai and Commissioner for Trade and Investment in October 2009..........

Tony Zhang has updated his Linkedin profile

Tony Zhang
Chief Representative, Greater China, Port Adelaide Football Club
Jing’an District, Shanghai, China

About
Tony is the Chief Representative of Port Adelaide Football Club for Greater China. The Club has a goal of assisting Chinese companies, who have or interested in having business in Australia, in managing their government relations, public relations, and communicating with the Australian media. The club can help its Chinese clients to make their investment process in Australia more smooth and their business understood by the Australian community.

Tony was appointed to the Head of NSW State Government Office in Shanghai and Commissioner for Trade and Investment in October 2009..........

So, is the Corona virus likely to impact on this year's game in Shanghai? Atm the situation is far from pandemic proportions but cases of the virus have been reported in Shanghai and the Australian Government has lifted it's China travel warnings to level 2. If the Corona virus spreads as the World Health Organisation is predicting it could be a major problem come May/June. If the game goes ahead many would be spectators may be scared off from travel to China.

On the off chance the game is cancelled will the AFL compensate Port for anticipated loss in revenue?

I note that FIFA has decided against rescheduling the Matildas game in Wuhan this weekend. At this stage it is probably safe to play there but in four months time it could be a different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, is the Corona virus likely to impact on this year's game in Shanghai? Atm the situation is far from pandemic proportions but cases of the virus have been reported in Shanghai and the Australian Government has lifted it's China travel warnings to level 2. If the Corona virus spreads as the World Health Organisation is predicting it could be a major problem come May/June. If the game goes ahead many would be spectators may be scared off from travel to China.

On the off chance the game is cancelled will the AFL compensate Port for anticipated loss in revenue?

I note that FIFA has decided against rescheduling the Matildas game in Wuhan this weekend. At this stage it is probably safe to play there but in four months time it could be a different story.

Frankly if you drink s**t Mexican beer you deserve to get sick.

Frankly if you drink s**t Mexican beer you deserve to get sick.

What has Mexico got to do with it? people have died and it is potentially a very serious situation and one that the AFL and PAFC have to monitor. If enough people are scared off by the Government travel warnings the crowd will suffer.

Oh, I get it Corona is some sort of sick humour.

pB43k.jpg

It's months away. By then either the virus has either passed or it's so highly infectious that it's spread across the globe and it doesn't matter if we're playing in Adelaide, Melbourne or Shanghai. We get it you don't like the China project and will latch onto anything to justify dropping it. This isn't it.

Depends on how severe it actually is.

There are now seven known coronaviruses, with SARS on one end and the common cold on the other.

Let's put it this way...yesterday stock markets across Asia tanked because they thought it was going to be another SARS pandemic.

All the losses they posted have reversed today. No one cares.

It's months away. By then either the virus has either passed or it's so highly infectious that it's spread across the globe and it doesn't matter if we're playing in Adelaide, Melbourne or Shanghai. We get it you don't like the China project and will latch onto anything to justify dropping it. This isn't it.
I agree prob lucky it's come out now. Doubt it will affect anything

You do not get anything. I am not anti China nor am I saying the game should be cancelled. I am simply saying that the AFL and the PAFC will have to monitor the situation and may need a contingency plan in place. SARS was never the pandemic you describe and it claimed the lives of 774 people world wide with a death rate of around 9.6% of those infected. SARS had not passed into history four months after it was first detected in November 2002 in fact four months later in 2003 it was at it's height. If the outbreak does worsen, and I am not suggesting it will, and the AFL went ahead with the game and people visiting Shanghai were infected there would be a significant backlash.

The Chinese Government has released a communique in which it states that it expects there to be 3 billion separate travel movements within the country over the Chinese new year. That is some travel movement and increases the risk of this outbreak being spread around the country. To counter the risk of infection being spread, the city of Wuhan has been isolated and all public transport links have been cut.

The Matildas scheduled game in Wuhan has now been rescheduled to Nanking.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back