Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been aware of Singapore's pension system since the 1980's. It was Lee Kuan Yew's gift to Singapore to build up the capital of the place and help turn it into a banking centre of Asia and the world. Reckon it was 16%+12% when I first heard of it. Have always read the debates about the pros and cons of a forced savings system, but Singapore would be a shadow of itself if it wasn't implemented.

Whilst I don't know the ins and outs of all the systems, but it always surprises me when I see the national pension systems rated and Oz usually gets rated 2nd or 3rd and we are always ahead of Norway and Singapore.

This is the 2019 ratings
These Are the World’s Best (and Worst) Pension Systems
By Matthew BurgessOctober 20, 2019,

I think it's because Singapore's system is basically like having one investment fund that handles everything, whereas Australia has diversification with superannuation. It also doesn't have social security at all, so you have to be a contributing member to society, which is why Australia would always be ahead.

The holy grail would be a combination of the two, IMO.

So Kennett think the China game is nothing more than a Junket hey!

There is no more bigger junket than the Hawks having a 2nd home base in Tasmania. Talk about junket's, needs to look in his own bloody backyard 1st.
#VFLBIAS
We'll take away his pokies if he takes away our China game.

Pokies are just a junket for Class Z citizens Jeffrey. ;)

From Rucci's article yesterday on Port's website - Alberton Abroad - about playing around the world ie London twice and Shanghai three times.

"And," says Andrew Hunter, the club executive who led the China strategy from 2015 until his recent move to Perth, "the Port Adelaide Football Club demonstrated its courage to push into a new frontier. This is consistent with our club's history. "We also picked up 12 premiership points," adds Hunter of the two wins against Gold Coast and last year's triumph against St Kilda. And some percentage from an average winning margin of 61 points.

Hunter will offer his insight on the China Strategy from 2015 to today with a book on Wakefield Press' release list for September-October. The postscript is still to be written in very uncertain times.

FishingRick04 has lined up to interview Andrew when they both can connect so we might get an early preview of what's in the book.

A call for some common sense from Andrew. Something else hangs by a thread too, alas..

Two paragraphs from Andrew’s article in Adelaide Review that are relevant to this thread:

For the past five years, I have been absorbed in my employer, Port Adelaide Football Club’s engagement in China. For the first time in its history, our indigenous game made a strenuous effort to promote the sport internationally, with the equally important objective of opening its door to the local Chinese community. It was a privilege to be part of this movement, and I hope it continues. I do not believe we would be “selling our souls” to further deepen these connections.

Most disconcerting was the suggestion that the merit of this endeavour was uniquely defined by commercial success. The tendency to conflate ‘China’ uniquely with ‘commercial gain’ – just as we did with Japan in the 1980s and 1990s – has a dehumanising effect. The commercial motivation for Port Adelaide’s engagement was matched by a deep commitment to human relationships and cultural understanding.

I do not believe our China Strategy is finished. I do not believe I have seen the last of Andrew Hunter. I am pleased, very pleased, to have worked with him for five years on our joint China mission. We have learnt a lot from each other - quite an admission from an old bastard like me who thought he already knew everything worth knowing.

Hong Kong Government Bails Out Cathay Pacific

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...trading-cathay-pacific-halted-hong-kong-stock

Cathay Pacific will embark on a HK$40 billion (US$5.2 billion) capital recapitalisation exercise after the Hong Kong government offered a nearly HK$30 billion bailout in loans and equity, lending its full backing for the city to remain the region’s leading aviation hub.

Confirming an earlier exclusive report by the Post, the city’s flagship carrier announced the government would take a 6.08 per cent stake in the company, as part of a bid to ensure it has sufficient liquidity to survive the devastating onslaught of the coronavirus pandemic.

As part of the deal, the government is to create a new entity, Aviation 2020, to buy HK$19.5 billion in preferential shares – which is equity with restricted voting rights – and warrants of up to a further HK$1.95 billion purchase of shares at a later date.

It will also offer a HK$7.8 billion bridging loan to Cathay Pacific.

This has got to be the Club’s No. 1 partnership target again.

Grave Danger's post in the John Abley thread took me to the https://www.instagram.com/pafc_memorabilia/ site run by SgtSchulz who went onto Port's history committee to prepare for the 150th celebrations and left Big Footy worrying about a conflict of interest. Hope he comes back.

About 40 minutes ago he had the image of a story from a newspaper about these gentlemen in the instagram post below, visiting Adelaide and there was a Port connection - they visited Port play Norwood at Adelaide Oval but it has all of a sudden vanished. But this instagram post is still there - think SgtSchulz edited his comment in the picture to add the story.

A year later the White Australia policy effectively started when the ship the Afghan carrying some older Chinese who had worked on the gold fields were returning to Oz as well as other legal Chinese migrants were banned from entering Victoria by premier Duncan Gillies. So telegrams were fired up to London as UK had a free trade agreement with China which wasn't just for free movement of goods, but was also for free movement of people, effectively made them British subjects.

The Afghan sailed to Sydney, originally premier Henry Parkes was going to let it, but he was lobbied to stop it and he then refused entry. It was the start of the White Australia policy, the 50 year boom cycle driven by gold rushes was about to end as the shockwaves of a global banking crisis was about to hit, the land bust recession of the 1890's. Oz was first in, last out 20 years later and Australia slide down the economic totem pole as the richest nation per capital when still a collection of colonies and also in 1901 when federated, until WWII.

The economic crisis was used as way to shut out people we did't want. The "stain" of convict migration had been washed away somewhat since the last convict ship in 1868. In 1888 Australian born overseas population was about 33%, 1901 at federation it was 20%, 1911 next census was 15% and early 1930's less than 10%. The phrase Australian Native was born.

So whenever Australia has gone the Mick Malthouse protectionist shut ourselves off to the rest of the world route, we have stagnated and gone backwards. The stopping of the Afghan didn't start the downward spiral but it accentuated i,t because it was the start of the xenophobic approach and the answer to every problem, from economic crisis, protectionism, labour protections against cheap foreigner labour, to what our society would look like, to make us more cohesive society, we were rich, we were entitled, we will become the society we chose - ie a mono culture.

Last edited:
Was thinking last night after reports of even more angst etc with China, that the way things are going, this sojourn is looking pretty cooked.
It has become more important than ever, hasn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wont be playing in Shanghai in 2021 or 2022, but it doesn't mean we can't chase other business opportunities.

Germans and Japanese killed thousands of Australians and we were trading with them and welcoming immigrants from there into the country within a few years of the end of war.

The reality is business never really stops, just delayed a bit sometimes.

Reckon we should refocus on Hong Kong - publically - over the next 2 years. Do the mainland stuff in the background.

Last edited:
There aint going to be any more games in China. It's over.

Hey Lockhart Road. How are things over there for you at the moment?
At risk of tempting fate I have to admit this mask-wearing caper makes it impossible for the new National Security secret police to track me down.
But just to make sure I have grown my hair so long it curls, my moustache so thick people call me John Bolton, and an excuse for a beard that I refuse to give up on.
This fills my day.
Thank you for asking, OGC.

With that mindset you're also assuming the AFL will never play in Victoria in our life times.

The China thing is over.

Stop deluding your selves that it's going to continue. The federal government has issued a travel warning for the shithole because of the threat of being detained, the relationship keeps getting sour, and you lot think we'll be off to Shanghai post pandemic? Lmfao

Remove this Banner Ad

Back