Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep no need for a change. Wear at training at the Jiangwan stadium on the Saturday and in pre match warm up on the ground and that's it if we want to try and sell a few.[/QUOTE

QUOTE="glitch01, post: 49334103, member: 85470"]As much as it looks good I think we should be sticking to our normal jumper.
If we wear this in our one game in China and then next week if people tune it will be 'this is a different team'

Yes agreed:thumbsu:

Port needs to establish its 'identity' before introducing anything new, such as the indigenous jumper as it will require a rather detailed explanation as to its significance.

A fair warning as well. We've put in a lot of time, effort and money into the china initiative. It would be a major blow if the AFL come in and take over, claiming all credit while doing so.
The meek shall inherit the earth.

But the Power shall inherit China.

What was the thing off field that happened Saturday that KT said will make us walk taller

What was the thing off field that happened Saturday that KT said will make us walk taller
Port adelaide themed shoe lifts.

Oh something minor ... like the Premier of China being at the game ... wearing a black white & teal scarf ... visiting the Port rooms before the game ... having an international media throng with him ... pix being circulated world wide, all over China ... Chen Shaoliang the poster boy and China's new sporting hero ... tacit official Politburo endorsement for Port Adelaide as China's team ... Gavin Wanganeen's art being elevated to global levels ... as yet unheralded Club Sponsors from China being on hand, reaching for their wallets ... minor stuff like that.

Oh something minor ... like the Premier of China being at the game ... wearing a black white & teal scarf ... visiting the Port rooms before the game ... having an international media throng with him ... pix being circulated world wide, all over China ... Chen Shaoliang the poster boy and China's new sporting hero ... tacit official Politburo endorsement for Port Adelaide as China's team ... Gavin Wanganeen's art being elevated to global levels ... as yet unheralded Club Sponsors from China being on hand, reaching for their wallets ... minor stuff like that.
Is that all! ;)

But don't you know what colour Gold Coast wear at the game is the bigger story? The main AFL board told me so

That's pretty big, I guess.

Also, some new sponsors for China - Accor Hotels and Camel Hospitality Group are ones that are new I believe. And Shanghai CRED being on the website now is a new development (though they've always been a partner, I'm thinking the endorsement from the Chinese government was a green light to have them publicly associated with us?):

IMG_0949.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you please tell me about China Southern, and its history and context and things Lockhart Road ?

I assume that this is related to rumour ralph saying something about a Chinese sponsorship announcement and hinting that it could well be for the Cows rather than Port??

I assume that this is related to rumour ralph saying something about a Chinese sponsorship announcement and hinting that it could well be for the Cows rather than Port??
Lockhart Road posted on our board that he could tell us some interesting stuff about this company, and the sponsorship, but the childish trolling on that thread meant it probably wasn't the best time/place to post.

Lockhart Road posted on our board that he could tell us some interesting stuff about this company, and the sponsorship, but the childish trolling on that thread meant it probably wasn't the best time/place to post.
Indeed you are correct. I was Notso Smart and received an infraction in the process. My first. I feel like I have lost my virginity at the age of seventy and it feels good.

Thanks for enquiring in the way you have. As you sound genuine, I'll tell you. It hurts us none and it's a good story.

The original three-year deal between China Southern Airlines and the Melbourne Football Club was signed in March 2014, having been facilitated by the then Australian Consul-General in Guangzhou who had created one of the first South China AFL teams in Guangdong and was a huge benefactor for the China national side being formed for the approaching AFL International Cup (IC14) in Victoria scheduled for August 2014. China had sent teams to compete in 2008 and 2011.

The crux of the deal was that China Southern would be the carrier of the 2014 China squad, and Melbourne FC would repay the airline's investment by sponsoring the China team at IC14 and covering their expenses. Melbourne however were in a financial pickle at the time (negotiations had dragged on) and couldn't fulfill their end of the bargain. They nobly waited until a few weeks before the start of IC14 before finally telling the Australian Consul-General that they would not be sponsoring the China national squad after all, but thanks very much for the China Southern partnership for 2014-2017. You can imagine the facilitator's fury.

In desperation I was approached to ask Port Adelaide to assist. I put it to Kochie's daughter over Peking Duck at the HK Cricket Club, she called her father, he consulted with KT, and inside 48 hours the decision was taken to create and sponsor Team China. The rest is history.

The moral here is that if China Southern should by process of elimination fall in the Crows' lap, you do not have a hard act to follow in the form of Melbourne Football Club. Personally I have doubts that the airline paid them a penny across the term of the 'partnership' in any case, maybe a free seat here and there. It's a basic lesson in how a club should not conduct a sponsorship it never should have had.

Indeed you are correct. I was Notso Smart and received an infraction in the process. My first. I feel like I have lost my virginity at the age of seventy and it feels good.

Thanks for enquiring in the way you have. As you sound genuine, I'll tell you. It hurts us none and it's a good story.

The original three-year deal between China Southern Airlines and the Melbourne Football Club was signed in March 2014, having been facilitated by the then Australian Consul-General in Guangzhou who had created one of the first South China AFL teams in Guangdong and was a huge benefactor for the China national side being formed for the approaching AFL International Cup (IC14) in Victoria scheduled for August 2014. China had sent teams to compete in 2008 and 2011.

The crux of the deal was that China Southern would be the carrier of the 2014 China squad, and Melbourne FC would repay the airline's investment by sponsoring the China team at IC14 and covering their expenses. Melbourne however were in a financial pickle at the time (negotiations had dragged on) and couldn't fulfill their end of the bargain. They nobly waited until a few weeks before the start of IC14 before finally telling the Australian Consul-General that they would not be sponsoring the China national squad after all, but thanks very much for the China Southern partnership for 2014-2017. You can imagine the facilitator's fury.

In desperation I was approached to ask Port Adelaide to assist. I put it to Kochie's daughter over Peking Duck at the HK Cricket Club, she called her father, he consulted with KT, and inside 48 hours the decision was taken to create and sponsor Team China. The rest is history.

The moral here is that if China Southern should by process of elimination fall in the Crows' lap, you do not have a hard act to follow in the form of Melbourne Football Club. Personally I have doubts that the airline paid them a penny across the term of the 'partnership' in any case, maybe a free seat here and there. It's a basic lesson in how a club should not conduct a sponsorship it never should have had.

Cheers. Thank you very much for that.

I do get very sick of the trolling from both sides of the fence.

That's actually a pretty good handball for a New South Wales based pollie. Seem to remember some circa 2004 footage where Latham couldn't quite grasp the concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back