Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get your point too. Subaru spends a good part of every day lurking here, devouring every titbit from this thread and taking it verbatim to the criers board and the Bay in a massively obsessive manner. Why give that low life the pleasure?

So lets not share because of a mentally unstable opposition supporter?

Jesus even the sensible crows take her with a grain of salt and the bay is the bay.

If you are upset at her taking the piss out of Port maybe the internet isn't the place for you.

Jesus even the sensible crows take her with a grain of salt and the bay is the bay.

If you are upset at her taking the piss out of Port maybe the internet isn't the place for you.
My opinion stands. The internet is for all.

Good that there's strong diversity of opinion at a reasonably high level in deciding which pathway to take to get to the same destination - that kind of tension is healthy, but am cringing at the whole Koch conspiracy narrative that has permeated the thread.

It feels good having the big guy with ween on his t-shirt in my corner.

This whole project started via BigFooty.

Consequently I will confide in the Port board on BigFooty as if it is my father confessor ... which is not bad for a confirmed atheist.

I don't get up on stage with a microphone and sprout the same rot speech after speech.

I do things behind the scene and expect no platitudes. All I need, occasionally, is a sign of respect.

And a vote of trust wouldn't go astray either. Have I let you down yet?

I'm very proud of my son for coming out on my side like he has the last few posts.

I'm an emotional bastard. Today I've been in the Pro Drinkers Corner with an ex-Vietnam visitor, my platoon commander, and his wife who are passing thru HK after a tour of China. We talked about past glories. We talked about mates who have passed on. We talked about the 50th anniversary of 9RAR in Adelaide this November.

Groan, you say? I do not apologise. Emotional bastards do not apologise ... only for bad language, and that I have not resorted to (this time).

As for subaru ... go get nicked.

It was more in reference to the comment that was made on the previous page (not by you) that Koch's work in China was just some ploy to advance his non-PAFC interests.

Yeah, that's exactly what was said.

I never said it was a ploy to advance his non-PAFC interests. I just said that he is more passionate about business than football, which is why he might be more inclined to push into areas to further that side of the club rather than the football side of it.

I'll give you an example. At that seminar I attended, one of the keynote talks was meant to be about the work we are doing in China as a club. All the other talks were from other business people like Telstra, Elders etc

Guess which talk never happened?

Yeah, that's exactly what was said.

I never said it was a ploy to advance his non-PAFC interests. I just said that he is more passionate about business than football, which is why he might be more inclined to push into areas to further that side of the club rather than the football side of it.

I'll give you an example. At that seminar I attended, one of the keynote talks was meant to be about the work we are doing in China as a club. All the other talks were from other business people like Telstra, Elders etc

Guess which talk never happened?
Agree, and that is absolutely a positive thing for the diversification that all clubs need to survive the ups and downs of the sporting arena.

Like The Wookie the blokes at Hurling People Now have said their bit on Shanghai game and China. Who are Hurling People Now ?? https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/
Hurling People Now (HPN) takes a slightly different look at sports – sometimes data-driven, sometimes very subjective. Expect to see stuff you wouldn’t really see elsewhere in the sporting landscape. HPN is largely the work of @arwon and @capitalcitycody (twitter handles, it’s a thing)

Shanghai isn’t an AFL expansion attempt – it’s much more interesting than that
MAY 15, 2017 ~ SEAN

When Port Adelaide announced last year that it had struck a three year “partnership” with Chinese business, the dominant reaction was probably confusion or derision. With a game now having been played for premiership points in Shanghai, now is a good time to try to get to grips with what exactly is going on.

While expansionism is often at the forefront of the minds of many ambitious footy fans who are keen to prove that the Australian game is the best game in the world, a much simpler answer is likely afoot: soft political power and raw cash.

A brief history of the AFL in China
The AFL-China linkage hasn’t come out of thin air. The idea of connecting foreign sports with Chinese money and audiences has been around for a while. Those with a long memory may recall that in 2010, China-linked Russian company Kaspersky paid Melbourne $300k to play a preseason game in Shanghai. Woodside, a then-Fremantle sponsor who export gas to China, also came on board as a sponsor of the game.

China’s history with the game before then was minimal, with the first local amateur championship played in Beijing in 2009 – just a year before the Melbourne-Brisbane preseason game. Since the mid 1990s, local leagues and Auskick programs (with some limited AFL support) have been springing up across the country – but on a relatively small scale to other international sporting programs in China. China had the 15th strongest national team at the 2014 International Cup, a standing that has not changed much since their first entry in 2008.

The AFL has long nurtured dreams of substantive international expansion, but they’re not naïve enough to think it starts with spending a lot of money to play games in China......
https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress....-attempt-its-much-more-interesting-than-that/

You can read more at the link and they cover the following topics
Who is Shanghai CRED?
The AFL as subject, not object
Sport diplomacy to support the ‘Peaceful Rise’

They sum up what Port's China startegy is all about

Initiatives like the Port Adelaide one make sense in this context. Connecting Chinese commercial interests with local sporting competitions – the logic runs – will surely increase Australian familiarity with China and make us more inclined to view Chinese economic power benignly. They hope it can make Australian governments more familiar and friendly with China, and reduce the political cost of policy concessions to Chinese interests. Ultimately, the hope is more cultural linkage would make Australian governments less likely to block future asset sales out of fear of bad publicity.

At the end of the day, we’re a football blog, not a foreign policy or business blog. All we’re really suggesting here is that we should view the Shanghai experiment through the correct lens. That is: the AFL and Port Adelaide are a slightly bewildered and certainly eager vessel for diplomatic exchange. Meanwhile, Shanghai CRED (and perhaps the wider Chinese political machine) wants Australian trust and goodwill because they hope that will make their own interests easier to pursue. At least one major Chinese business with political links sees our most-attended sport as a tool to help with this goal.

I wasn't aware The Age pulled this s**t. Lockhart Road

…to the truly weird spectacle of the Age’s photographer chucking a murky yellow filter over their photos, making them look smoggy…

Kai-Tak-Sports-Development_1.jpg

A computerised image of the future Kai Tak Sports Park. Entities seeking large-format facilities for international cricket, baseball and Australian Football have made representations to the HK Govt. and their consultants. Their aim is for one of the stadiums to have an adjustable playing surface and seating for flexibility between large and normal format sporting codes. It won't be an easy challenge, especially without support and encouragement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8/news-story/04340fcff88555a128eeb964e73f3597

PORT Adelaide would seriously consider Geelong as an opponent for its China clash next year as it urges the AFL to make a five-year commitment to the game.

And the Power has emerged as an unlikely supporter of Geelong’s bid to get a home final at Simonds Stadium this year.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said on Thursday he was hopeful the league would soon rubberstamp next season’s China fixture.

Geelong is understood to be open to talking about selling one of their Etihad Stadium home games to the Power to play in Shanghai.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said recently the AFL commission was likely to rubberstamp next year’s contest in the coming weeks.

The Cats would not give up a Simonds Stadium game but Cook said this week “we’d probably look at” a Port Adelaide proposal for one of their two remaining home games.

“There are certainly (Victorian) clubs interested in understanding the business model,’’ Thomas told the Herald Sun.

“Brian expressed an interest in finding out a little more about a game in China. How does it work, how you might leverage that experience?

“If you are going to take such a significant step, it’s not a financial transaction, you have to leverage the opportunity and it needs to be strategically important.”

Thoughts everyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put my thoughts about it on 2 posts on page 248 of this thread including $$$ figures Geelong make at Docklands when they get a crowd of 46,000. So Geelong would have 9 home games at Kardinia Park, the Easter Monday game every 2nd year is a home game at MCG against the Hawks, and play Port in Shanghai for $1m as a home game and no Docklands home game that year. Its why Brian Cook has been one of the best administrators in the game for over 25 years.

Solar-Lucky-Cat.jpg

I'd happily play the Cats on the moon if it means we never have to go back to Kardinia Park.

Filthy ****ing muckhole.

And the locals there have the gall to call us feral.

From the business section of yesterday's The Advertiser;

Kidman heads off to China

"CATTLE company S. Kidman & Co has held a historic board meeting in China – the first in the firm’s almost 120 years of operation. ....
Mrs Rinehart said profits would be used to improve the stations and improve safety and welfare of the 171,000 cattle. The meeting was hosted by Shanghai CRED chief and Port Adelaide Football Club sponsor Gui Guojie. ..."

The onus is on the opposing clubs playing in China to take whatever commercial and cultural advantage they can in the lead up to the match and whilst the weekend is up and running. To pull it off each Club has to have capable executive teams at both ends of the pipeline with requisite market knowledge and relevant contacts.

PAFC have for some time had a China squad in place setting up contacts, travelling in and out and learning learning learning ... and consequently on stage during the gala dinner on the eve of the Shanghai match a third seven-digit major sponsorship deal (MJK) was officially signed with a Chinese entity. Other lower tier partnerships had been concluded: Cathay Pacific, Greaton, Haneco with others in the pipeline.

The Gold Coast Suns Football Club before the 14 May match were unable to fill critical vacancies in a number of their executive offices including COO, commercial director or manager, and went to Shanghai armed with nobody who had any China experience except their president who actually has considerably more hands on China nous than our own president.
During the game on 14 May the Suns were wearing HUAWEI on the backs of their guernseys. A success, I decided. An obvious perhaps minimal success, but a success nevertheless. Good luck to them, I thought. Now let's see what you can do next, Tony.

As we speak, on Traeger Park, the Suns are running around with HUAWEI missing from the back of their guernseys, replaced by zero evidence that they flew to China and played a match there at all.

In one of the China stories linked on the Sunday of the game or on Monday in one of the threads, either in the Fin Review or The Australian there was a story that at the Gala presentation Gina Rinehart was on the same table as with the New Hope Group and they had just signed a big multi- million dollar deal, I think before the game on Sunday. I have searched several times but can't find that linked story, but these 2 stories stories on Saturday 8th May and on Monday 10th before the game confirms they were going to sign a big deal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...l/news-story/3142ed3f5639d48ca7c93a75854368f2
The owner of Hancock Pastoral — and Australia’s richest person, worth an estimated $19.4bn — is preparing to sign a deal laying groundwork to ship up to 800,000 cattle a year for slaughter and processing in China, in a move which could double the value of the nation’s live export trade. That trade is currently worth about $1.5bn. It follows a period of expansion for Hancock in the cattle industry after Ms Rinehart teamed up last year with Shanghai CRED Real Estate Stock Co in a $365 million takeover of S. Kidman & Co.

Her latest deal, with China’s New Hope Group, to be set out in a memorandum to be signed next Sunday, will aid the Chinese company’s ambitions to invest $1bn of its own cash pile by 2020.
But her ambitious Chinese blueprint would mean a ramp-up of ownership, as well as sourcing cattle from other producers. It would see cattle shipped from the three northern Australian ports of Broome, Darwin and Townsville to Zhejiang’s island port of Zhou Shan, south of Shanghai. New Hope will build new feedlot, quarantine and meat-processing facilities in the specially-approved Free Trade Zone for Australian agriculture and food exports to China.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...l/news-story/3142ed3f5639d48ca7c93a75854368f2

Monday 10th May story
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...m/news-story/b2ea1065fc9504b48b80707ee7cd739d
Australian billionaires such as iron ore queen Gina Rinehart, media magnate Kerry Stokes, retailing giant Gerry Harvey and mining magnate Andrew Forrest are expanding their beef empires and global ambitions by the month. This week Rinehart unveiled her masterplan to ship 800,000 cattle live to southern China’s Zhejiang province in partnership with China’s omnipresent $15 billion New Hope farm.
It’s a sign of the times that — just as Rinehart is spending more than $250m buying a 70 per cent stake in the Kidman cattle empire and turning her sights on establishing a new live cattle export trade to China with billionaire Liu Yonghao’s New Hope agribusiness group — Mitchell and his group of co-investors have again put their $80m-plus Yougawalla Station cattle empire in the East Kimberley up for sale.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...m/news-story/b2ea1065fc9504b48b80707ee7cd739d

Back on page 151 of this thread on 5th and 6th February I put up links to the Landline season return 90 minute Window on China special program - doing business in China, but didn't have specific links to Chairman Li's company New Hope Group from the relevant 16 minute segment from that program and the written article about them on the ABC's rural component of its website.

Lockhart Road this is the bloke and company I sent links to you and KT about.

Below are the links to the story on Chairman Liu who wants to invest in Australian businesses and their management team not take over the assets 100%. This is what Warren Buffet has done for 55 years - invest in well run companies, provide some new working capital, but more importantly leave the money in there when they are making profits better than the market average, ie low dividend payout rates and re-invest those profits in the companies, and through the wonder of compounding interest, it allows for bigger capital growth. He wants to invest $1 billion in agricultural industries in Australia by 2020 through his company New Hope Group. He has already invested $100m in 2013 in the Kilcoy Pastrol Company which is an hour's drive north of Brisbane and they have employed an extra 130 people. Also in 2015 another $100m deal with the 2 biggest dairy families in central NSW, expanding the hird from 3,500, by 2,000 and plans to take it to 10,000 by 2021 and building a 24 hour milking shed and doubling employment to 150 jobs. We should talk to him and his Australian management team and see how we can link up with them, and any agriculture business that support Port and maybe even linking them up with Shanghai CRED. Link up some of the agricultural producers we know, especially from the west coast with Chairman Li's New Hope Group. Shanghai CRED are already linked. Now we need to link up some smaller players and co-ops

taken from the written story. "In 1982 he and his three brothers sold a watch and a bicycle to raise the equivalent of $AU150 to grow quail...... New Hope Group is now a global animal protein powerhouse with 70,000 employees working in 600 businesses around the world. In China last year it processed a billion ducks and chickens, 3.5 million pigs, sold 20 million tonnes of stock feed and produced 400 million tonnes of milk."

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2017/s4614404.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...onaire-backing-australian-agriculture/8191408

Gui Guojie ... how he and Gina are working together :

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...y/news-story/bbd5995c51d8fd1dcb267371eb440107

... Rinehart is fresh from a recent Kidman board meeting in Shanghai, with promises of further investment in new farming technologies, when The Weekend Australian joined her this week for a tour of Helen Springs station...
... (She) says her Chinese partners backed her early plan to forgo profits in the initial stages and leave the money in Australia to reinvest in the business.
“Every time we have presented a budget to our partners they have said yes,” she says. “They understand our desire to invest in, and improve, the properties.
“They are so proud to be part of an iconic company … it’s not just Australians who know about this deal, it’s also talked about in China. There is a responsibility and duty on the Chinese partners to show this joint venture can perform — China is watching.”
The board has already approved tens of millions of dollars in investment in its first two board meetings. Rinehart recalls that she was slightly nervous ahead of the first board meeting in February, knowing she was about to ask the Chinese to forgo early profits.
“Here we are saying you’ve just paid a fortune to get into these properties but by the way we don’t want you to take any profit, so I thought it might be a difficult board meeting and was a little nervous,” she says.
“By the time we got to the second meeting, we were asking for more budget approvals but he (Shanghai CRED principal Gui Guojie) is so supportive.”

....The use of drones is another initiative Rinehart is excited about, having successfully trialled the program on a Hancock station in the Kimberley.
Chris Morrow, station manager at the Kimberley property, was flown to Shanghai recently to present the drone trial to the Kidman board.
...“The board were excited and my young team are also excited about new technology and what we can use the drones for,” he tells The Weekend Australian.
Rinehart says that at the recent board meeting, Gui was rushing her through as he had another meeting to attend, but he was happy to slow it down when it came to the drones.
“He rushed us through the finances in record time but for the drone presentation I wasn’t getting told to hurry up,” she says.
“When it was time for Chris to give the presentation, Mr Gui was really animated.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...y/news-story/bbd5995c51d8fd1dcb267371eb440107

Dwayne Russell has obviously been talking to the club about who we will play next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/acabe75dc5abe0ce0f2a83c3df2d4af7
THE final nail could be hammered into the coffin for the Gold Coast Suns’ disastrous China venture on Monday, with the AFL’s own review of the Shanghai game taking place at headquarters, and Port Adelaide soon to submit the names of at least five other AFL clubs interested in becoming their 2018 opponent. Reigning premier the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne are rumoured to be the two Melbourne-based clubs keen to be briefed by Port on the possibilities available if they hand over a home game.

Geelong, through chief executive Brian Cook, publicly signalled its interest seven days ago when Cook said on Triple M Melbourne, “if the AFL came along and said, look, we’ve got one of your home games at Etihad next year, but we’re willing to swap that for a China home game, we’d probably look at that.” Speculation is also strong that the two Sydney-based teams, the Giants and the Swans, may also throw their hat into the ring now that Geelong has publicly launched a race. And the Suns, who are currently being nursed by the AFL and desperately need the China game for revenue, are pleading for a second chance.

Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas would not confirm the names of the interested parties outside of Geelong and the Gold Coast, but did confirm that “two teams in Melbourne and two teams outside of Melbourne” were also in the mix. But Port Chairman David Koch confirmed to me on Saturday that Port’s 2018 opponent was more than likely to be a Victorian based team, and that Port would submit a long-term proposal to the AFL in June with the intention of having a new opponent every season for the next five years at least.......
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/acabe75dc5abe0ce0f2a83c3df2d4af7

Last edited:
The last bit of the article makes its clear we have to find a bigger and better opponent.

It’s a little-known fact that Koch has more emotional skin in this game than just his desire for his football club to become a sports business heavyweight. Koch’s father was an entrepreneur who traded in China in the 1970s, and was a pioneer in opening doors between the countries through his involvement in the coal industry.
Both personally and as Port Adelaide chairman, Koch can’t let this China move fail. As important as this year’s event was, it was essentially only a pilot game, and the Suns a crash test dummy. Next season’s event is the one that needs to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back