Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't crack the paywall yet so I haven't read the full story but here is my take,

The crows aren't interested in China, they are interested in India, BUT they are interested in stopping Port maximizing their gains in China by stopping us having any exclusive rights be they from being the only team to play exclusively there, gaining $$$ from TV deals, gaining $$$ from any AFL related marketing rights/items, gaining exclusive agreements with governments in China be they national, provincial or local level etc. They know we wont go to India. They don't want to go learn a new language and a very different culture like we have in China, going to an English speaking country is the easy route.

The crows standard modus operandi is stop Port getting ahead where possible. This isn't about them going to China its about them stopping Port maximizing their benefits. Stock standard s**t ex directors like Peter Hurley implemented for years.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I can't crack the paywall yet so I haven't read the full story but here is my take,

The crows aren't interested in China, they are interested in India, BUT they are interested in stopping Port maximizing their gains in China by stopping us having any exclusive rights be they from being the only team to play exclusively there, gaining $$$ from TV deals, gaining $$$ from any AFL related marketing rights/items, gaining exclusive agreements with governments in China be they national, provincial or local level etc. They know we wont go to India. They don't want to go learn a new language and a very different culture like we have in China, going to an English speaking country is the easy route.

The crows standard modus operandi is stop Port getting ahead where possible. This isn't about them going to China its about them stopping Port maximizing their benefits. Stock standard s**t ex directors like Peter Hurley implemented for years.

Here's a couple of bits:

"
“Our strategy is not reliant on a game being played in India — or any other international market,” Fagan told The Advertiser.

“Our objectives are with business exchanges and game development. We are exploring with Essendon how we can work together in a partnership in India. Whether than leads to an exhibition game is not the question today.

“The program — with joint commercial opportunities and game development — is more important than playing an AFL game in India.”

Chapman emphasised the same point saying: “We stress a game is not our No. 1 goal. Educating India on our game of Australian football is, along with establishing relationships and access to Indian trade, industry and tourism."

"Port Adelaide presented to the AFL Commission on Tuesday its five-year strategy to play in Shanghai. AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has indicated there will be an AFL game in China next season, but the commission needs to work through the grander “strategic plan” in China.

The AFL Commission’s broader questions on China is understood to take in Chapman’s question on whether such a big Asian market should involve “exclusive” territory rights to the Power."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k=cdef4522df5dd3e55277bf7eae0a0ccd-1498399219

Here's a couple of bits:

"
“Our strategy is not reliant on a game being played in India — or any other international market,” Fagan told The Advertiser.

“Our objectives are with business exchanges and game development. We are exploring with Essendon how we can work together in a partnership in India. Whether than leads to an exhibition game is not the question today.

“The program — with joint commercial opportunities and game development — is more important than playing an AFL game in India.”

Chapman emphasised the same point saying: “We stress a game is not our No. 1 goal. Educating India on our game of Australian football is, along with establishing relationships and access to Indian trade, industry and tourism."

"Port Adelaide presented to the AFL Commission on Tuesday its five-year strategy to play in Shanghai. AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has indicated there will be an AFL game in China next season, but the commission needs to work through the grander “strategic plan” in China.

The AFL Commission’s broader questions on China is understood to take in Chapman’s question on whether such a big Asian market should involve “exclusive” territory rights to the Power."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k=cdef4522df5dd3e55277bf7eae0a0ccd-1498399219
That confirms my thinking. Did Chapman say he doesnt want any exclusive or proprietary rights for India?

Chapman is indeed not interested in India per se. Nor China. He's only interested in not being completely left behind, and looking a mug to his customers as a result. Meanwhile he takes a subordinate role with Essendon on something as airy fairy as our own strategy was four years ago, and still looks a mug as he comes out with a mug's 'explanation' for something the AFC is not equipped to participate in apart from playing the role Gold Coast played with us. Bludgers. Should change their name from Crows to Cuckoos, they're so slick at laying eggs in other nests and expecting some disassociated entity to do all the hatching and feeding for them. You get nowhere minus creativity no matter what the plot is, and without creativity - constantly upping your game - you get found out, off field as well as on field.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
That confirms my thinking. Did Chapman say he doesnt want any exclusive or proprietary rights for India?

Further to the geography lesson I posted before:

"The Crows are being asked to partner Essendon in a pre-season game in India next year, creating a territory war with AFL rivals Richmond and Greater Western Sydney."

“India is a vast continent. There is no reason why there can’t be more than a couple of clubs in that market."

He is the one who has invented 'exclusivity'. We never used the term, we have been too busy working the market to worry about looking over our shoulders. He has effectively admitted he has complained to the AFL Commission about PAFC getting too far ahead of him. Echoes of Fagan insulting KT to his face two years ago.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Chapman is indeed not interested in India per se. Nor China. He's only interested in not being completely left behind, and looking a mug to his customers as a result. Meanwhile he takes a subordinate role with Essendon on something as airy fairy as our own strategy was four years ago, and still looks a mug as he comes out with a mug's 'explanation' for something the AFC is not equipped to participate in apart from playing the role Gold Coast played with us. Bludgers. Should change their name from Crows to Cuckoos, they're so slick at laying eggs in other nests and expecting some disassociated entity to do all the hatching and feeding for them. You get nowhere minus creativity no matter what the plot is, and without creativity - constantly upping your game - you get found out, off field as well as on field.

Nailed it right here LR, it's all about keeping up with the Jonas.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
keepingupwiththejonas.jpg

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To me it sounds like the Crows know they have missed out on the game in India too and are now wetting the bed about being locked out of 2 such huge markets.

Hence saying.

1. It is not about playing a game in India
2. We don't think anyone should have exclusive rights (exclusive rights are bad for Me Too's)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Here's a couple of bits:

"

Should have known that while the Crers were publicly ridiculing our China strategy, behind the scenes they were really shitting themselves and are putting pressure on he AFL to minimise any advantage we might have from our literally years of hard work and foresight. What a scum club full of back stabbing vultures they are.

xflamedancer

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
P.A. Magpies, Man U.
He is the one who has invented 'exclusivity'. We never used the term, we have been too busy working the market to worry about looking over our shoulders. He has effectively admitted he has complained to the AFL Commission about PAFC getting too far ahead of him. Echoes of Fagan insulting KT to his face two years ago.

SOP for that scum, good to see you didn't get a holiday for your tongue in cheek post on the Tiggys board.

SOP for that scum, good to see you didn't get a holiday for your tongue in cheek post on the Tiggys board.
I won for myself a polite warning, which is fine.

It's taken a while but it's suddenly dawned on the West Lakes brains trust that Port is onto something big here, potentially huge. It's says a lot that Fagan has gone from ridiculing the venture to now attempting to limit its success.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
“India is a vast continent."

Chappy giving us the benefit of his geographical expertise again...
LOL

"India is a vast continent. There is no reason why there can’t be more than a couple of clubs in that market." - Knob Chapman, 25 June 2017

He'd be happy that India is not part of Asia because, you know, Asians. :rolleyes:

This is the same guy who thinks that Lucky Bay is in Gulf St Vincent.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LOL

"India is a vast continent. There is no reason why there can’t be more than a couple of clubs in that market." - Knob Chapman, 25 June 2017

He'd be happy that India is not part of Asia because, you know, Asians. :rolleyes:

This is the same guy who thinks that Lucky Bay is in Gulf St Vincent.
He just re-wrote geography books!

All hail the new continent of India!!!

If you think that Adelaide didn't ask the question about China through their connection to China Southern and were promptly told to * off by the Chinese government, you don't know much about how these things work.

So they go to India to try and rustle up some sponsorship money - not realising that China works for us because it's a reciprocal arrangement and there is a lot of investment in Australia from Chinese companies.

If they weren't losing sponsors to us due to the China Strategy they wouldn't even bother :p

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
No exclusive rights? Wasn't the argument FOR the formation of the Crows that they had the for SA?
Crows had a six year exclusive franchise on SA but now Ports should not be allowed any exclusivity anywhere.

If you think that Adelaide didn't ask the question about China through their connection to China Southern and were promptly told to **** off by the Chinese government, you don't know much about how these things work.

So they go to India to try and rustle up some sponsorship money - not realising that China works for us because it's a reciprocal arrangement and there is a lot of investment in Australia from Chinese companies.

If they weren't losing sponsors to us due to the China Strategy they wouldn't even bother :p
They were also told to **** off by China Southern who haven't paid the Crows anything pending AFC's promo and organisation of the first fully booked Blue Rinse charter flight to the Sugar Loaf Mountains of Gui Lin - which was their side of the deal. That's how partnerships work: each partner does half the total work, comes up with half the total strategy, outlines half the total future.
Reaganomics used to divide the pie into three halves; Faganomics divides it all into one half - his - for which he does sweet fatty arbuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back