Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. What great understanding of what Port are trying to achieve in China, so much more insight than so called paid football commentators have. Boak is an absolute leader in every sense of tbe word and nice to hear your comments on him and othet leaders in the team. Hopefully you could join Rick's show on PortFanRadio as a guest one day soon to further discuss the China game. It 's refreshing to hear some positive commentary from a non Port supporter.
That would be great! How can I get involved in that?

FishingRick04, can you make this happen, please?

Left Shanghai yesterday and with wife and friends caught the bullet train to Beijing. What a fabulous journey, mostly at 300 kph (train can do 380 I'm told but speed is apparently capped). The scenery is fantastic. Sure lots of factories, power pylons etc along the way but so much farmland, mountains, open countryside. Quaint villages, temples, cemeteries with Chinese-style mausoleums. I suggest to those planning to go to future Shanghai games that they do maybe 3/4 of the trip then return. 1st class tickets are really just roomy economy but well worth the price and it would be a great day trip
Beijing (so far) is fine. I'd heard lots of negativity about the place, especially compared to Shanghai. But it's clean, modern, and sufficiently friendly to westerners that we're going fine. Today Tiananmen Square. And the Forbidden City - unless it's forbidden..

Hey Port faithful,

I spend a few weeks in Shanghai with your great club for the AFL China project.

I got to follow the team around everywhere and with that, was able to take some awesome insight into what a contending club looks like on the inside.

There's a lot that a club like mine can learn from the Power.

Check out my review of it all here:

https://anchor.fm/tdehghani/episodes/My-Port-Adelaide-experience--AFL-China-e1gvff
Thanks for the great podcast. Very interesting to hear the perspective of a neutral supporter, especially after observing so much of the club from close quarters.

I know things look a bit dire for Carlton at the moment, and most of us Port supporters can certainly sympathise, but it can also be turned around with some astute management and leadership, so keep supporting them and enjoy the good times when they come.

St Kilda saying, not approached yet but they would think about a game in China.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...i/news-story/840c4f13e5952adccc0b5a7866942fba
St Kilda say they have not been approached by the AFL or the Victorian government to replace Gold Coast in China next year. Saints chief executive Matt Finnis gave an emphatic “no” when asked if he had received any official approaches should a third game in as many years be played in Shanghai involving Port Adelaide in 2019. “I haven’t envisaged being approached by the AFL or the state government,” Finnis said.The Australian revealed exclusively last month that the Victorian government’s blueprint for the future included a request for a Melbourne-based team to play in China next year as part of their huge cash deal for the league. A Victorian stadiums agreement signed off by the Andrews government will inject close to $500 million into the code, with nearly half going to a makeover of the Etihad Stadium precinct. With almost certainly no MCG tenant club being involved in China, a logical choice would be an underperforming St Kilda, who carry a debt of more than $10m and are drawing low home attendances.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...i/news-story/840c4f13e5952adccc0b5a7866942fba

Finnis saying they haven't rejected it, but says they haven't finalised long term contracts with Docklands yet. Says they are still interested in Auckland. Says its to early to give an answer one way or the other about a China game, but understands you do it for more than just the $$ to replace a bad stadium deal.
“You think about things because there’s a conversation going on (about China), but we haven’t been approached,” Finnis said. Like Gold Coast for the past two years, any opponent for Port in China would receive compensation for surrendering a home match.......“We haven’t exactly finalised our long-form contract with Etihad Stadium, so we don’t currently have a contract in that regard,” Finnis said. Finnis said the Saints still had a long-term interest in eventually playing premiership games in Auckland but would not consider playing in China simply for a financial benefit. “If St Kilda was looking to play a game overseas, we wouldn’t be doing it because we just want to fill a gap because of a poor stadium return at Etihad,” he said. “You’d be doing it for a range of strategic decisions which go to the growth of your business. ” Asked if St Kilda would be opposed to playing in China, Finnis said: “It’s too early for us to say whether we’d be in agreement or not, because it’s not something that we’ve considered.”

Finnis saying they haven't rejected it, but says they haven't finalised long term contracts with Docklands yet. Says they are still interested in Auckland. Says its to early to give an answer one way or the other about a China game, but understands you do it for more than just the $$ to replace a bad stadium deal.
Haha. I read the whole piece as We'll do it, but we don't want to appear too eager, so the government forks out enough to help us out of our bad stadium deal. That's the only reason we'll be doing it.

Stephen McDonell spent 12 months in China learning the language, then 9 years as the ABC's China correspondent, then when he came back to Oz in late 2015 to give other ABC journos a go, he said bugger it, I want to stay in China, so after a month back in Oz, he joined the BBC and is their chief China Correspondent. He is pro the game, but says its needs a well supported oppo team. He was responding to

Marngrook Footy Show‏Verified account @marngrook
Is an @AFL game in China worth it? #marngrook

Last edited:
Cleland Wildlife Park redevelopment going ahead following Allan Zeman and Steven Marshall meeting up at Jiangwan Stadium. PAFC Sports Diplomacy begets South Australia dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. First comment on adelaidenow is from Edward: “A stupid idea under Labor and a stupid idea under the Liberals. An absolute eyesore at best. The only people to benefit will be lazy people.” Compulsory voting gives deadheads like this equal electoral power with those possessing the ability to think.

Cleland Wildlife Park redevelopment going ahead following Allan Zeman and Steven Marshall meeting up at Jiangwan Stadium. PAFC Sports Diplomacy begets South Australia dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. First comment on adelaidenow is from Edward: “A stupid idea under Labor and a stupid idea under the Liberals. An absolute eyesore at best. The only people to benefit will be lazy people.” Compulsory voting gives deadheads like this equal electoral power with those possessing the ability to think.
Classic South Australian whinger. Never done anything in his life, never achieved much. Teddy Roosevelt's classic Gray Twilight man.

Roosevelt_tuesdaysthought.png

I saw an ad promoting the Cleland Wildlife Park on a flight to Shanghai from Beijing. The big selling point was the koala, the fact that SA is the only place in Australia where you can hold the cute and cuddly animal.

We like it in the 1950s. It's warm and comfortable. Change is so unnecessary.

After the 2012 B&F, a bit after it, as J Mac passed away 3 days later, and I didnt write about the B&F for a couple of weeks, I wrote that there were lots of speeches that talked about how much hard work there was to to do, and how hard people were going to work to get us up the ladder and back to the top.

I wrote it reminded me a bit of John F. Kennedy's seminal speech at Rice University in Texas in 1962 -16 months after his speech to congress to increase funding for space activities - that America was going to to the "moon in this decade." I'm not sure if we can access the funds of the US Treasury of the 1960's but we have to work hard, we have to work smart, we have to use all our people and be bloody innovative if we are going to go to our moon in this decade.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-and-fairest-a-few-observations.971292/#post-25758230

In 2012 our go to the moon in this decade was to get off the floor and win a flag by 2019. But we have found another one to go to before the decade was out and we have achieved that goal. With all he whinging on Sunday and Monday I came back to JFK's famous speech and changed a couple of words. Now we just need to achieve that other goal in this decade.

We choose to go to the China!
We choose to go to the China in this decade and do the other things,
not because they are easy, but because they are hard;
because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills,
because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept,
one we are unwilling to postpone,
and one we intend to win,
and the others, too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We like it in the 1950s. It's warm and comfortable. Change is so unnecessary.
I liked it in the 1950s too. I was twelve. We won lotsa premmerships.

Stephen McDonell spent 12 months in China learning the language, then 9 years as the ABC's China correspondent, then when he came back to Oz in late 2015 to give other ABC journos a go, he said bugger it, I want to stay in China, so after a month back in Oz, he joined the BBC and is their chief China Correspondent. He is pro the game, but says its needs a well supported oppo team. He was responding to

Marngrook Footy Show‏Verified account @marngrook
Is an @AFL game in China worth it? #marngrook

Been scratching my head and other parts over that very point.

A better supported opposition would bring more colour and movement to the crowd, and a bigger sense of theatre to the occasion for viewers at a distance, but the game is already a sellout with mostly us and “assorted networking folks” there.

Opportunity hiding in that challenge, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caroline Wilson on 5aa is suggesting we lost money out of the China game.. is she forgetting we signed multiple international sponsors worth 3-4 million annually? Pretty sure this wasn't about matchday attendance
We cannot lose money on the game as Gui is underwriting it. He wanted to bring Australian Football to Shanghai, now it’s been brought and he has to pay for it.
Don’t get carried away by ‘international sponsorships’. There has been quite a bit of spin coming from our side.

Caroline Wilson on 5aa is suggesting we lost money out of the China game.. is she forgetting we signed multiple international sponsors worth 3-4 million annually? Pretty sure this wasn't about matchday attendance
Monies allocated specifically to pay for the match against costs specifically for the match probably result in a 2nd small loss. No big deal. Last year revenue in specifically for the game was $4.5m, costs were $4.6m and then Ch 7 invoiced AFL for an extra $100k of production costs, which I think we had to pick up.

But there are indirect revenues to the club out of China that has nothing to do with financing the China game, but the club sees those corporate revenues go to the club as general revenue.

Nicho Teng comes on board with Haneco Lighting sponsorship because of the China strategy to fund the club, yet he also provides funding for the game in Shanghai via his Greaton building company as well as Haneco Lighting making a contribution. Cathay Pacific funds both. UAWEI funds both. RAA contributes to both.

How many corporate boxes have been bought at AO due to corporates wanting to link into the China stuff and that revenue is included in the club's general revenue and not allocated to pay for the China game?

$15mil of new corporate revenue since the MOU signing in April 2016 helps to fund the China games, the Power Footy programs and the general footy club. We might not be making massive net $$$, but lets look at the full 360 degrees not just part of the picture.

I saw an ad promoting the Cleland Wildlife Park on a flight to Shanghai from Beijing. The big selling point was the koala, the fact that SA is the only place in Australia where you can hold the cute and cuddly animal.
Have they banned koala cuddling in QLD?

Used to be a dozen places including Lone Pine in Brizvegas.

Been scratching my head and other parts over that very point.

A better supported opposition would bring more colour and movement to the crowd, and a bigger sense of theatre to the occasion for viewers at a distance, but the game is already a sellout with mostly us and “assorted networking folks” there.

Opportunity hiding in that challenge, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You increase capacity with new temporary stands and reconfigure the hospitality tents. It wouldn't be that hard to have 5,000 guaranteed Port supporters tickets inc the corporate types, 5,000 Vic club supporters inc the corporate types, and 4,000-5,000 locals and ex pats. Max capacity would be about 20k but minimal hospitality area. So 15k capacity still achieves most goals.

I think it's time the PAFC board changed the constitution to allow one special board member who resides outside of Australia to handle the business dealings with China.

If we're going to have a permanent office in Shanghai, we need a permanent board member there too, IMO. Someone like Craig Aldous, Chairman of AusCham and CEO of Elders China...that sort of level of appointment. Doesn't have to be a Port supporter, just someone who can facilitate meetings with various stakeholders on a consistent basis who appreciates what we are trying to achieve.

We cannot lose money on the game as Gui is underwriting it. He wanted to bring Australian Football to Shanghai, now it’s been brought and he has to pay for it.
Don’t get carried away by ‘international sponsorships’. There has been quite a bit of spin coming from our side.

Pretty sure Gill had absolutely nothing to do with wanting AFL football in China.. we started this venture before he was even head of AFL.

Pretty sure Gill had absolutely nothing to do with wanting AFL football in China.. we started this venture before he was even head of AFL.

“Gui” does not equal “Gill”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back