Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure this was posted:
Gold Coast’s part in AFL’s China experiment could be over as Victorian teams lobby for chance
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has declared he will open discussions over next year’s Shanghai match to Victorian teams, leaving the Suns’ future in the game on a knife’s edge.

“They are very keen on getting a Victorian club playing up here.

“So we will assess and see where the Suns and Port are and talk to the Victorian Government and Victorian teams about the level of interest.
“But this is hard work up here and I’m proud of the team, proud of Port Adelaide and the Suns and the day feels much more consolidated than last year.”
McLachlan said he had not spoken to any Victorian clubs but had been told by Dalidakis the interest was high from several clubs.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/go...e/news-story/51301eea215f842afb88ae5a229723df

A key quote for me:

However, Victorian trade minister Philip Dalidakis has been in Shanghai this week lobbying hard for a Melbourne team to take over next year.

The Vic government has just allocated $500m to upgrade Etihad stadium and facilities at suburban grounds. If the Vic government wants a Vic club to play Port in Shanghai next year, a Vic club will play Port in Shanghai next year

Gold Coast’s part in AFL’s China experiment could be over as Victorian teams lobby for chance
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has declared he will open discussions over next year’s Shanghai match to Victorian teams, leaving the Suns’ future in the game on a knife’s edge.

“So we will assess and see where the Suns and Port are and talk to the Victorian Government and Victorian teams about the level of interest.
“But this is hard work up here and I’m proud of the team, proud of Port Adelaide and the Suns and the day feels much more consolidated than last year.”
McLachlan said he had not spoken to any Victorian clubs but had been told by Dalidakis the interest was high from several clubs.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/go...e/news-story/51301eea215f842afb88ae5a229723df

I love how that little pissant McLachlan acts as if he has any control over whether we play in Shanghai or not.

I love how that little pissant McLachlan acts as if he has any control over whether we play in Shanghai or not.

I like how you think he doesnt. The AFL is solely responsible for the fixture including the venues used. If the AFL says no game, you have no game. its unlikely, but he does have that power.

I like how you think he doesnt. The AFL is solely responsible for the fixture including the venues used. If the AFL says no game, you have no game. its unlikely, but he does have that power.

I think what Janus is getting at is that these games are largely funded by the dedicated sponsorships we’ve cultivated over the last few years. So if the AFL want to replace Port in this fixture then they better be ready and willing to pay for the whole enchilada.

A key quote for me:

However, Victorian trade minister Philip Dalidakis has been in Shanghai this week lobbying hard for a Melbourne team to take over next year.

The Vic government has just allocated $500m to upgrade Etihad stadium and facilities at suburban grounds. If the Vic government wants a Vic club to play Port in Shanghai next year, a Vic club will play Port in Shanghai next year

mp_hg.jpg

"Take over", eh - who does he think he is?

I suppose at least Gil barely even pretends it’s not still a VFL first mentality at the AFL. ‘Port did a good job, better then we expected. Now it’s looling successful time to give it to Victorians’.

Thankfully we’ve established the relationships as Port first, AFL second, but we all know the AFL will only ramp up its efforts to push Port to the side as soon as possible. If for no other reason that they also hate not having all the control.

Now Vic. Sides are in the picture it wouldn’t surprise me in the least, if from 2020 onwards there’s a 23rd game in season, that’s not anyone’s home game, so they can easily get two Vic sides (one of them a club with a big supporter base) there (possibly as a second game, as Port still likely to be there for one), without the hassle of having to buy out a home game or fans (of a club with a decent number of them) complaining they are now short changed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast’s part in AFL’s China experiment could be over as Victorian teams lobby for chance ...
Ah well. At least the quality of the faffing has improved this year. Last year a million electrons died because people were outraged at Gold Coast wearing their home colours.

China forays an investment, not a drain: Koch
PORT Adelaide's ambitious foray into China will go to the next level if it can have a Victorian club as its opponent next year.
The Victorian State government is keen to have a Victorian club involved to replace Gold Coast, the Power's opponent for the first two years.
St Kilda is considered the frontrunner and would be the home team for the fixture as the Power is contractually obliged to play all 11 of its home games at Adelaide Oval.
"We hope it would be a Victorian club and we think it would be good for the game," Power chairman David Koch told AFL.com.au.
"This year, it was the right thing to do to have Gold Coast back again, they don't have a home ground until June, so it was natural they would come.
"We think it's important to expose other clubs to China and let them leverage off all of our contacts and the networks we've built into China."
More ...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-28/china-forays-an-investment-not-a-drain-Koch
Like this bit
The Power invest $2.5 million annually into China, which includes employing six full-time staff, three development coaches and running an Australian football program in Shanghai that will reach 100 schools in the next two years.

Chinese sponsors have jumped on board and the game was estimated to have been watched by up to 10 million people in China, having been shown on three local networks.

I think what Janus is getting at is that these games are largely funded by the dedicated sponsorships we’ve cultivated over the last few years. So if the AFL want to replace Port in this fixture then they better be ready and willing to pay for the whole enchilada.

Not just the money...the television rights and interaction with government officials is facilitated by Mr Gui. And Mr Gui sponsors Port Adelaide.

Also, it’s the AFL Commission who decides who is playing in China. The CEO just executes their wishes. So I’ll say it again - I love how that little trust fund pissant thinks he can dictate who plays in Shanghai.

Not just the money...the television rights and interaction with government officials is facilitated by Mr Gui. And Mr Gui sponsors Port Adelaide.

Television agreements cant be done without the AFL - Port simply doesnt have the right to negotiate league broadcasts.

Also, it’s the AFL Commission who decides who is playing in China. The CEO just executes their wishes. So I’ll say it again - I love how that little trust fund pissant thinks he can dictate who plays in Shanghai.

The CEO is and always has been on the AFL Commission.

Spot on ... But the Victorian Government don't understand that .. they think whatever they say goes.

They havent said that or even implied it. They've literally said they want to see a Victorian team involved, and its expected they'd take over from Gold Coast. It hasnt been linked to the AFLs stadium funding agreements from anywhere outside Bigfooty as far as I can tell.

Same with the AFL ..

Again. If the AFL says so, theres no match regardless of Ports machinations.

Its Ports baby and Port wont to see it grow ... simple :thumbsu:

Its never that simple.

I think KT or Richo corrected Rooch on Saturday. In Rooch's Saturday article I linked on page 341 he said;

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...f/news-story/12c59a47f25f4ace6c845a43edaa0fb1
Port Adelaide has six full-time staff dedicated to China — and a $2.5 million annual budget for developing the Australian game in China where there is a major return to nurture with commercial deals and television rights.

In Sunday's story he writes
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/ca88b686c715c3cdc3f2a2842574d0c9
Port Adelaide is playing the long game with its China foray investing $4.5 million per match — one tenth of its annual revenue. Port has six full time staff dedicated to its Shanghai game and spends $125,000 on game development. A key to Port gaining financial traction in China is scheduling consecutive games in Shanghai, possibly against Gold Coast and St Kilda. Port estimates it would cost just $1m more to stage a second game in Shanghai annually given the teams and infrastructure would already be assembled.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/ca88b686c715c3cdc3f2a2842574d0c9

Yesterday's Sunday Mail story confirms a few of things that has been said before and corrects one thing I have incorrectly written a few times.

1. At the AGM Koch told El Zorro that the 2017 game drew in $4.5m of revenue and cost $4.6m
2. Caroline Wilson said a couple of weeks after the AGM on her 5AA segment that Ch 7 put in a late invoice to cover extra costs for $100k. I thought the AFL paid that and that we had to pick it up after all the cost were reconciled
3. I've said that is in addition to the $100k loss but looks like the $100k loss in 2017 includes this amount.
4. Lockhart Road said Mr Gui underwrites the event so that it doesnt make a loss but breaks even.

So this part of yesterday's story below suggests to me that indeed the game was breakeven in 2017 until Ch 7 put in their late invoice, and that 2018 will be another break even game unless some other expense comes in after Mr Gui has helped us to balance the books.

Port Adelaide is yet to establish when it can turn a profit on its ambitious China venture with consecutive matches in Shanghai integral to the bottom line.The Advertiser can confirm Port Adelaide made a loss on its inaugural 2017 clash in Shanghai against Gold Coast Suns.

Port bankrolls the annual Shanghai game by $4.5 million with financial support from the South Australian Tourism Commission and in-kind backing from the AFL. The Power had hoped to make a profit on its 2017 Shanghai clash but a late invoice from Channel 7 for unbudgeted broadcast costs saw its figures slip “marginally” to the red. Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas says the club is on track to break even from this month’s clash against the Suns at Jiangwan Stadium. The Power won’t be able to announce any profit until all costs are reconciled. “Based on a late invoice from the broadcaster (Channel 7) there was a slightly unforeseen cost which tipped the ledger fractionally,” said a Power spokesman of the club’s 2017 China financial result.

“This year we are tracking for a break-even unless there is any other unforeseen costs.”

I think KT or Richo corrected Rooch on Saturday. In Rooch's Saturday article I linked on page 341 he said;

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...f/news-story/12c59a47f25f4ace6c845a43edaa0fb1
Port Adelaide has six full-time staff dedicated to China — and a $2.5 million annual budget for developing the Australian game in China where there is a major return to nurture with commercial deals and television rights.

In Sunday's story he writes
Port Adelaide is playing the long game with its China foray investing $4.5 million per match — one tenth of its annual revenue. Port has six full time staff dedicated to its Shanghai game and spends $125,000 on game development. A key to Port gaining financial traction in China is scheduling consecutive games in Shanghai, possibly against Gold Coast and St Kilda. Port estimates it would cost just $1m more to stage a second game in Shanghai annually given the teams and infrastructure would already be assembled.

Yesterday's Sunday Mail story confirms a few of things that has been said before and corrects one thing I have incorrectly written a few times.

1. At the AGM Koch told El Zorro that the 2017 game drew in $4.5m of revenue and cost $4.6m
2. Caroline Wilson said a couple of weeks after the AGM on her 5AA segment that Ch 7 put in a late invoice to cover extra costs for $100k. I thought the AFL paid that and that we had to pick it up after all the cost were reconciled
3. I've said that is in addition to the $100k loss but looks like the $100k loss in 2017 includes this amount.
4. Lockhart Road said Mr Gui underwrites the event so that it doesnt make a loss but breaks even.

So this part of yesterday's story below suggests to me that indeed the game was breakeven in 2017 until Ch 7 put in their late invoice, and that 2018 will be another break even game unless some other expense comes in after Mr Gui has helped us to balance the books.

Port Adelaide is yet to establish when it can turn a profit on its ambitious China venture with consecutive matches in Shanghai integral to the bottom line.The Advertiser can confirm Port Adelaide made a loss on its inaugural 2017 clash in Shanghai against Gold Coast Suns.

Port bankrolls the annual Shanghai game by $4.5 million with financial support from the South Australian Tourism Commission and in-kind backing from the AFL. The Power had hoped to make a profit on its 2017 Shanghai clash but a late invoice from Channel 7 for unbudgeted broadcast costs saw its figures slip “marginally” to the red. Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas says the club is on track to break even from this month’s clash against the Suns at Jiangwan Stadium. The Power won’t be able to announce any profit until all costs are reconciled. “Based on a late invoice from the broadcaster (Channel 7) there was a slightly unforeseen cost which tipped the ledger fractionally,” said a Power spokesman of the club’s 2017 China financial result.

“This year we are tracking for a break-even unless there is any other unforeseen costs.”

Might depend on what Dermie racked up on the corporate card...

Might depend on what Dermie racked up on the corporate card...
He said that shiny suit he was wearing was a Versace, so there is 3 or 4 grand.

At Shaling village near the Gubei water town 140km from Beijing (the city) now, but still in the Beijing administrative district. Gubei is an astonishing refurbished mountain town on the Simatai section of the Great Wall. It's sort of a resort called Beijing Wtown. See www.wtown.com and www.smtgreatwall.com, if you can get the latter to work for you*.
Freaking amazing place, a complete tear down and rebuild of a fortress/customs town the size of McLaren Vale. Disneyish in many ways but on a genuine foundation of history etc. Almost no westerners though, with the attendant difficulties with day to day stuff making little accommodation for those not reading or speaking Chinese.
We took the cable car a squillion metres up towards the ridge-top Great Wall yesterday then did the Mt Loftyish climb to (I think) what is called the 8th tower. Very heavy haze yesterday. Some of the most amazing scenery I've ever seen and it was unphotographable.
We are going back there this morning and this time will see how far we get walking the Wall along the mountain ridge. Will not take my extensive collection of horseshoes this time, what was I thinking?

* hard to tell what will work well in Oz when you're in China and moving around. Every move involves another connection and software battle.

27th
Barely any haze today, amazing change in one day. We climbed the peaks and watchtowers of the Great Wall like older, fatter and far less musical Von Trapp family.

I went to the Wall at Simatai back in 1999

Amazing scenery confirmed

Wall completely un-restored and it was snowing when we were there

Worst toilets I have ever had the 'pleasure' to use by the length of the straight and then some :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back