Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
China forays an investment, not a drain: Koch
PORT Adelaide's ambitious foray into China will go to the next level if it can have a Victorian club as its opponent next year.
The Victorian State government is keen to have a Victorian club involved to replace Gold Coast, the Power's opponent for the first two years.
St Kilda is considered the frontrunner and would be the home team for the fixture as the Power is contractually obliged to play all 11 of its home games at Adelaide Oval.
"We hope it would be a Victorian club and we think it would be good for the game," Power chairman David Koch told AFL.com.au.
"This year, it was the right thing to do to have Gold Coast back again, they don't have a home ground until June, so it was natural they would come.
"We think it's important to expose other clubs to China and let them leverage off all of our contacts and the networks we've built into China."
More ...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-28/china-forays-an-investment-not-a-drain-Koch
Like this bit
The Power invest $2.5 million annually into China, which includes employing six full-time staff, three development coaches and running an Australian football program in Shanghai that will reach 100 schools in the next two years.

Chinese sponsors have jumped on board and the game was estimated to have been watched by up to 10 million people in China, having been shown on three local networks.
We are very fortunate that our president has not as yet been tasked with keeping members and supporters informed on the injury list each week.

I went to the Wall at Simatai back in 1999

Amazing scenery confirmed

Wall completely un-restored and it was snowing when we were there

Worst toilets I have ever had the 'pleasure' to use by the length of the straight and then some :eek:
Oh I don't know. At least I found the urinals very polite. I must say my mate went to poop in a squat loo and came out ashen-faced saying "We must never talk of this again".

Whimsical_urinal.jpg

Oh I don't know. At least I found the urinals very polite. I must say my mate went to poop in a squat loo and came out ashen-faced saying "We must never talk of this again".

View attachment 503612
I need to hang this sign on the wall of my kids' bathroom...

View attachment 503612

Not overly keen these days in taking pics in men's toilets:p so can only quote the sign in the Shanghai museum near The Peoples Square.

One small step forward for better civilisation.

Straya!

680px-Co2-2013-top40.svg.png
Jeezuz we suck !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia’s CO2 emissions are based on the fact that the majority of freight transport is by road to remote locations where there is a limited population. And the capital cities are serviced by cheap air transport that burns through fuel like no tomorrow. Also, agriculture is one of the biggest producers of CO2...but worse, cattle farming produces...pardon the pun...s**t loads of methane.

Australia’s CO2 emissions are based on the fact that the majority of freight transport is by road to remote locations where there is a limited population. And the capital cities are serviced by cheap air transport that burns through fuel like no tomorrow. Also, agriculture is one of the biggest producers of CO2...but worse, cattle farming produces...pardon the pun...s**t loads of methane.

Once lab grown meat reaches scale, cattle farmers will need to start farming something else. The vegans will win eventually.

Once lab grown meat reaches scale, cattle farmers will need to start farming something else. The vegans will win eventually.
Nah, there will always be a market for live grown meat. Lab grown will certainly be great for meeting a large part of demand at lower cost and resources.

GWS crowds against interstate opposition are comparable to St Kilda.

GWS are a more competitive outfit.

Offer to play the game on a Thursday night for better domestic audience.
We dont want to lose in Shanghai do we?? ;)

Except that those predisposed to being vegan are also largely predisposed to being terrified of anything quite so radical as lab grown meat.

I do think in 30-50 years meat from actual animals will be the stuff of survivalists and dilettantes, though.

Except that those predisposed to being vegan are also largely predisposed to being terrified of anything quite so radical as lab grown meat.

I do think in 30-50 years meat from actual animals will be the stuff of survivalists and dilettantes, though.
We, here, will be proudly ready to sell it for them! :)

Nah, there will always be a market for live grown meat. Lab grown will certainly be great for meeting a large part of demand at lower cost and resources.

It won't happen overnight but in the long run it will happen imo. Generations from now, people will look back and see us as barbarians for our insatiable slaughter of animals. We're currently in the midst of what some would describe as the greatest genocide of the animal kingdom in recorded history.

We're already seeing the next generation trend towards being vegetarian/vegan and they're not limited by lack of resources, it's by choice. The rest will, in time, have options to satisfy their hunger for meat.

First it will be mince meat replacements, i.e. burger meat - taste will be indistinguishable from the real thing. Then we'll get better at it, eventually mimicking prime cuts and different species (chicken turkey, goat, lamb). Chicken eggs will be lab grown, milk will be synthetic, etc.

*Disclosure - I'm not vegetarian or vegan, I enjoy meat and meat products. I will make the transition to synthetics if a viable option exists.

To bring it back to China, the growing appetite for meat and meat products in China is the result of improved economic prosperity. Eating meat is a sign of wealth in a developing country. The only way to feed an extra 1+ billion Chinese red meat over the long term is down the synthetic path, there simply isn't enough land to feed the number of people that will inhabit the earth in 50 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back