Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about ‘board members’ who are against the Aboriginal Centre of Excellence, the Alberton Oval Precinct Redevelopment, the Port Club upgrade, the Museum, etc. because this would increase recurring utilities and operation expenses too much for the Club to handle in future years. Tip: accountant.

Disclaimer: absolutely no inside info here, and no personal agendas on my part. I have come to hate the phrase "playing Devil's advocate" too. I just want to paint one plausible scenario. See if we can get a more "accurate guess" on the state of play of forces inside the club.

What stands out for me, particularly on this thread, is that "China" is not on the list of things you suggest this mystery board member or members are "against". Just maybe some gadfly on our board may be thinking... you do the urgent first... prioritize our one big focus activity and stabilize the already delayed revenue streams out of that first, then let that enable us to safely do the other important things all in good time, even if it means we miss the 150 anniversary deadline that a lot of folks are naturally emotionally attached to.

Now if an accountant/risk manager type was presenting that position, to other board folks who want to do everything "important" all at once and as soon as possible, just as we threaten to go into an on field "dip", just as the bleeding edge of opinion here on BF is foaming about potentially moving Hinkey on early, well said gadfly would be doing their bloody job correctly. So in spite of a few seemingly poor decisions lately I'm still inclined to let board and management make a fully informed set of decisions on priorities and on prioritizing. For now.

Disclaimer: absolutely no inside info here, and no personal agendas on my part. I have come to hate the phrase "playing Devil's advocate" too. I just want to paint one plausible scenario. See if we can get a more "accurate guess" on the state of play of forces inside the club.

What stands out for me, particularly on this thread, is that "China" is not on the list of things you suggest this mystery board member or members are "against". Just maybe some gadfly on our board may be thinking... you do the urgent first... prioritize our one big focus activity and stabilize the already delayed revenue streams out of that first, then let that enable us to safely do the other important things all in good time, even if it means we miss the 150 anniversary deadline that a lot of folks are naturally emotionally attached to.

Now if an accountant/risk manager type was presenting that position, to other board folks who want to do everything "important" all at once and as soon as possible, just as we threaten to go into an on field "dip", just as the bleeding edge of opinion here on BF is foaming about potentially moving Hinkey on early, well said gadfly would be doing their bloody job correctly. So in spite of a few seemingly poor decisions lately I'm still inclined to let board and management make a fully informed set of decisions on priorities and on prioritizing. For now.

This is an astute observation and does match with my personal experience with boards.

That makes sense if the board actually concentrated on core business and fixed core business issues, and not let things drift. Koch has said many times the board doesn't spend much time talking about football.

That might be a fundamental problem, but there are times you need to be in expansionist mode and times to be in a restrictionist mode. When it comes to China we need to be in an expansionist mode if we are going to take advantage of China and do better than investing in a pub or gaming venue, which China is supposed to be our alternative.

Mr Gui is underwriting the game in China - ie he makes sure its break even. So we have to be in expansion mode outside the game to get a decent return.

Its good to have at least one of the more conservative risk manager/accountant types on board to balance the "gunslingers" in the group. But having been a director in a multi-million dollar, rapidly expanding company, I also know you need to be able to identify opportunities that present themselves, and be prepared to act quickly & decisively to take advantage of them ... or you can miss out bigtime!

Port has been been presented with a unique opportunity, and once you have done you risk assessment, the entire board need to get behind it to make it a success. With what we have achieved in China so far, and having it underwritten by Mr Gui, it is just crazy if we have people on the board dragging the chain at this point!

Its good to have at least one of the more conservative risk manager/accountant types on board to balance the "gunslingers" in the group. But having been a director in a multi-million dollar, rapidly expanding company, I also know you need to be able to identify opportunities that present themselves, and be prepared to act quickly & decisively to take advantage of them ... or you can miss out bigtime!

Port has been been presented with a unique opportunity, and once you have done you risk assessment, the entire board need to get behind it to make it a success. With what we have achieved in China so far, and having it underwritten by Mr Gui, it is just crazy if we have people on the board dragging the chain at this point!
Hen hao

Here is a cut and paste of part of the a post about boards I put in the Holly Ranson thread where sports coaching guru Wayne Goldsmith talked about what and who you need on a board. I put in bold who we have but I will put their background in blue for this post
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/holly-ransom-and-the-board.1127534/page-26#post-57505132

Here’s a really great 7 member Board model for sporting organisations to adopt:
  • Enlist 2 people who really know the game, understand it’s nature and the unique culture of the sport – as it is today: they bring relevance;
  • [We have Fiachi small business owner and Haslam chartered accountant]
  • 2 people from within the sporting industry but outside the gameitself who understand sport and what has / hasn’t worked with other sports but who are not constrained by the limitations, history and traditions of the specific sport they will be leading: they bring abroad, balanced, sports industry perspective; [Osborn accounting and banking - basketball background]
  • 2 people from outside of sport who understand business, finance, marketing, success and winning but who are not constrained by the limitations, history and traditions of the sporting industry; they bring objectivity, sustainability and growth;
  • [Ranson lawyer and professional director,
  • Vanstone lawyer and politician,
  • Cardone reporter, TV producer media executive,
  • Thiele chartered accountant ,
  • Restas commercial lawyer]
  • plus 1 real Leader – with real vision, understanding, knowledge and passion to see the sport become the best in the world: he / she brings leadership, vision and a strategic approach to the future success of the organisation. [Koch accounting, media/publishing, TV host]
What do the people on your Board bring?

Wayne Goldsmith

Thanks to Portology (whom I remember meeting in 2013 at the Peter Chant match, round 5 vs West Coast at Footy Park), to Bomber, REH and Tibbs for their posts above in response to my own response to SgtSchulz on the subject of character or otherwise, and characters or otherwise, in the current PAFC board room.

I am delaying further response of my own pending possible announcements from the AFL and the Club in the next week or so re coaches, our third Shanghai match, Vic. govt. deal plus sponsor/s etc. ... and pending additional comment from the above or other posters, which I hereby invite.

This may become the topic for a separate thread, a topic broader and deeper for the Club than just ‘China’.

2019 will be a make-or-break year for the Port Adelaide Football Club.
The quality, vision, commonsense, unity and backbone, or otherwise, of our directors, and their support or otherwise of and for our CEO, will dictate whether the outcome is closer to disaster or triumph.

PS: Tibbs the only ‘gunslinger’ on the board is the chairman; he tends to shoot up the town from the mouth, and the town is only big enough for one of his kind, but there’s no doubt he has guts.

Thanks to Portology (whom I remember meeting in 2013 at the Peter Chant match, round 5 vs West Coast at Footy Park), to Bomber, REH and Tibbs for their posts above in response to my own response to SgtSchulz on the subject of character or otherwise, and characters or otherwise, in the current PAFC board room.

I am delaying further response of my own pending possible announcements from the AFL and the Club in the next week or so re coaches, our third Shanghai match, Vic. govt. deal plus sponsor/s etc. ... and pending additional comment from the above or other posters, which I hereby invite.

This may become the topic for a separate thread, a topic broader and deeper for the Club than just ‘China’.

2019 will be a make-or-break year for the Port Adelaide Football Club.
The quality, vision, commonsense, unity and backbone, or otherwise, of our directors, and their support or otherwise of and for our CEO, will dictate whether the outcome is closer to disaster or triumph.

PS: Tibbs the only ‘gunslinger’ on the board is the chairman; he tends to shoot up the town from the mouth, and the town is only big enough for one of his kind, but there’s no doubt he has guts.
Cheers LH, nothing wrong with gunslingers, I am one myself. I am very risk tolerant, and it has got me far in life. Good to have a balance though ... My wife is very good at that!;)

Last edited:

Some good discussion on both sides here.

What wasn't clear from Lockart Road's post was whether it was a matter of the board member being rigidly against every single one of these activities or whether they were against the timing or execution strategy involved with them. For best results and optimal organisation you might have to really focus on undertaking a select number of these desired actions at a time rather than stretching your human and financial resources (hence things like sitting back on AFLW).

I think we've functioned pretty well off field, the club appears to be well organised, there's a consistent strategy and our programs are genuinely adding to our community. Obviously the core business of football is of concern with the sign off of a seemingly unnecessary and excessive extension for an underperforming Hinkley. While I would not have sacked him last year, Hinkley's management appeared to have far too much power in the negotiations for a side that has achieved S.F.A.

Positive article by Rucci in the Tiser. These are some of the points re Port. The bold bits are exciting!!! Perhaps what LR was alluding to ...

China strategy crucial as Power chases long-term strength .....
Port Adelaide has a tougher job in the limited and crowded Australian commercial sector, as noted by it not having a second major sponsor this season after the significant deal with French carmaker Renault ended last year. So the Power is compelled to work the long road in China — and is to get significant good news on this front in the next month, both with a new partner to play in Shanghai (St Kilda) and some extraordinary commercial openings in China.

And those hard-core Port Adelaide fans who think China is a distraction need to remember — and the dark chapter from 2008-12 is far from a distant memory — that without financial strength, the Power’s football program will again collapse. Port Adelaide is not just in — as president David Koch describes it — a “death zone” by ranking 10th on the field but also in the same place by repeatedly making small profits.

For West Coast to have $50 million on hand to build a new training facility in Perth underlines why the Power has to find a significant new revenue stream beyond ticket sales at Adelaide Oval and merchandise sales at Alberton. And if Australia’s corporate halls are crowded with AFL clubs, China is a must. More so if Port Adelaide’s community and education themes with China create interest with a new fan base that already carries strong interest in Australia.

Port Adelaide’s new announcements on China are expected after the AFL grand final. Rather that being seen as a sideshow to the Power’s obvious need to step up its football program, China should continue to be seen as part of the answer to Port Adelaide’s on-field ambitions.

more ....

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/54590239975b1e791abf864be712260a

and some extraordinary commercial openings in China.
Sounds good in theory, but so far (and I'm a full supporter of the China strategy), there's been numerous partnerships and networking announced (which are good), but not as much in concrete financial gains, as a few years in now, I and many would have hoped. Hopefully this one isn't another partnership / networking one, that may have some benefits at same vague point, sometime down the track, but sponsorship dollars now.

Sounds good in theory, but so far (and I'm a full supporter of the China strategy), there's been numerous partnerships and networking announced (which are good), but not as much in concrete financial gains, as a few years in now, I and many would have hoped. Hopefully this one isn't another partnership / networking one, that may have some benefits at same vague point, sometime down the track, but sponsorship dollars now.
There has been some revenue gains outside the $9m raised to play 2 games. The AFR story I quoted earlier in this thread says we have raised $15m all up.

Its just that it hasn't been the big bang stuff we were hoping for, but several non China 2nd and 3rd tiered sponsors have come on board from involvement in China eg Nicho Teng's Haneco Lighting becoming coaches polo sleeve sponsor, plus his Greaton construction group, Cathay Pacific, Uwai etc and things like buying corporate boxes and supporting various events and even community programs have resulted. Then there is the finders fee for linking Oz businesses to Chinese businesses going to China and vice versa for those coming to Oz market. Its just that those things are smaller and not as sexy as a $2.5m major sponsorship or $1+mil joint major sponsor.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concur.

My main focus is on one huge partnership rather than a collection of smaller ones ... but that’s just me, and I have no intention of giving up on it.

I believe there are more than one new partnership/s in China ready to be announced, ranging from medium-large down to ‘third-tier’ level.
These may include new national (China) main and support partners for the Power Footy programme which has branched out to western China and into provinces around Shanghai.
‘Power Footy’ is now being sold as a separate brand - focused on children and juniors, always a great market to aim at - and is close to, or better than, breaking even.
I’ll let the Club fill in the details.

I also believe that our new Joint Major is not from China, so that’s extra encouraging.
Mods, I ask that you watch out for this and not let it be drowned in that abominable ‘New Sponsor’ thread which should be locked and never see daylight again.

.....These may include new national (China) main and support partners for the Power Footy programme which has branched out to western China and into provinces around Shanghai.
‘Power Footy’ is now being sold as a separate brand - focused on children and juniors, always a great market to aim at - and is close to, or better than, breaking even.
I’ll let the Club fill in the details.......

Is MJK and Xian back in the picture?

Is MJK and Xian back in the picture?
Negative. They turned out to be a start-up that never got off the blocks. Bad luck / timing for us rather than a big mistake. They sounded too good to be true but not impossible considering MJK approached us right after Premier Li Keqiang’s visit to the SCG last year. Imagine if the political freeze that is now hopefully starting to melt was to disapear and another such diplomatic exchange took place. We are now more experienced and much better placed to really cash in.

Negative. They turned out to be a start-up that never got off the blocks. Bad luck / timing for us rather than a big mistake. They sounded too good to be true but not impossible considering MJK approached us right after Premier Li Keqiang’s visit to the SCG last year. Imagine if the political freeze that is now hopefully starting to melt was to disapear and another such diplomatic exchange took place. We are now more experienced and much better placed to really cash in.
So how way out west are we headed? 1,900 kms along the G50 Shanghai to Chongqing Expressway which when completed in 2012 or 2013, when I saw the BBC doco Supersized Earth - The Way We Move they had build 8 or 9 of the 10 world's tallest bridges along that expressway and now 5 years on have build another 10 or so around China to be slotted into that 1st and 3rd to 18th slots. Cut travel from 3 days to 23 hours.

Imagine if the political freeze that is now hopefully starting to melt was to disapear and another such diplomatic exchange took place. We are now more experienced and much better placed to really cash in.
CHINA SIGNALS WILL TO REBUILD RELATIONSHIP WITH AUSTRALIA
By Viral News Trends
September 25, 2018

Shanghai |Beijing has signalled it is willing to rebuild its relationship with Australia under the Morrison government, and says there is no conflict between the two nations in the South Pacific despite concerns about China’s growing influence in the region.

The upbeat assessment of Australia’s relationship with its biggest trading partner followed a meeting between the countries’ foreign ministers in New York.

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi said he was confident the relationship could “get back on track”, after meeting his Australian counterpart Marise Payne on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday (AEST). Mr Wang talked up the two countries’ “highly complementary economies”.

“China has noticed the new government is willing to take an active China policy and we hope the Australia-China relationship can learn from previous lessons and get back on track to sound development,” Mr Wang was quoted as saying by China’s Foreign Ministry shortly after the meeting.

Two years late, but better late than never. Roy and HG explain the real interest by the Chinese in dealing with Port to play AFL games in China. From a couple of weeks before the 1st game was announced in 2016.

Hopefully this is one of those ‘Port gets a cut for facilitating’ we were told would happen and not (yet another) ‘here’s a good news China story that doesn’t have any financial pay-off / Pay off sometime way way way down the track’.

Similar to the above, I hear we've brokered an event with Penfolds next year for a group of 20 Chinese billionaires to come down for a week of opulence, museum Grange vertical tastings, chopper flights to wineries, take in a home game, etc. A cool $100,000 per ticket.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back