Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah..I don’t care any more. As long as that shitty club GCS are out of the picture I am happy.
Cochrane has been an absolute turd of the highest order.
Myself I was ok with Koch going in to bat about it

Gold Coast were the w***ers not us or Kochie

As #RogerJames posted a lot of people were supportive of this stance

Myself I was ok with Koch going in to bat about it

Gold Coast were the w***ers not us or Kochie

As #RogerJames posted a lot of people were supportive of this stance
Koch was the w***er for saying that it was in the contract that Gold Coast had to wear their white clash guernsey when it wasn't.

Were those people at the AGM supportive of Koch making a dick of himself the same people that were concerned about the buses? :rolleyes:

Made a mountain out of a molehill when he said that. So stupid and over something that just did not matter.

He started a fight that we didn't need to start, and then he lost it. Absolute PR stupidity.

So now a MOU has been signed between the Victorian government and China relating to the Silk Road Initiative.

How long before the AFL and the VIctorian government wrest Port’s China work, Shanghai game and China footy programs out of our hands before we have received the Golden Egg?

Frustrating.

https://sc.mp/ibsyb

South China Morning Post, 13 November 2018

By SAM AGARS

Aussie rules sets Shanghai expo abuzz with virtual reality fan experience

Port Adelaide Football Club offer pioneering look at Australia’s ‘most popular game’

How do you take Australia’s national game to a country with close to zero knowledge of a sport that is played almost exclusively Down Under? Virtual reality, of course.

The Port Adelaide Football Club and the Australian Football League turned heads quite literally at last week’s inaugural China International Import Expo in Shanghai, stepping outside the box in their latest attempt to take Australian rules to China.

“We have used VR as a fan experience device and we are now developing the technique for education purposes,” said Keith Thomas, Port Adelaide’s chief executive.

“It’s another way of inspiring kids to embrace our game through immersing them in a game day experience, even though they can’t physically see an AFL match live, other than the Shanghai game each year.

“It’s pioneering stuff, being carried out in one of the most sophisticated cities on earth. It’s the new frontier for the AFL and Port Adelaide is proud to be leading the way.

“Our inspiration comes from the excitement we saw in the eyes of everyone who visited our little booth, as they experienced our great game for the first time.”

The virtual reality experience immersed expo-goers in the game of Australian rules, taking them inside Port Adelaide’s changerooms before unleashing them onto Adelaide Oval with the team.

Of course, the presence of Port Adelaide and the AFL at an event opened by China President Xi Jinping was about more than just virtual reality.

“Port Adelaide and our annual game in Shanghai is part of Australia’s effort to promote the nation in China – and that transcends trade, sport, culture and tourism,” said Andrew Hunter, Port Adelaide’s general manager of China engagement.

South China Morning Post, 13 November 2018

By SAM AGARS

Aussie rules sets Shanghai expo abuzz with virtual reality fan experience

Port Adelaide Football Club offer pioneering look at Australia’s ‘most popular game’

How do you take Australia’s national game to a country with close to zero knowledge of a sport that is played almost exclusively Down Under? Virtual reality, of course.

The Port Adelaide Football Club and the Australian Football League turned heads quite literally at last week’s inaugural China International Import Expo in Shanghai, stepping outside the box in their latest attempt to take Australian rules to China.

“We have used VR as a fan experience device and we are now developing the technique for education purposes,” said Keith Thomas, Port Adelaide’s chief executive.

“It’s another way of inspiring kids to embrace our game through immersing them in a game day experience, even though they can’t physically see an AFL match live, other than the Shanghai game each year.

“It’s pioneering stuff, being carried out in one of the most sophisticated cities on earth. It’s the new frontier for the AFL and Port Adelaide is proud to be leading the way.

“Our inspiration comes from the excitement we saw in the eyes of everyone who visited our little booth, as they experienced our great game for the first time.”

The virtual reality experience immersed expo-goers in the game of Australian rules, taking them inside Port Adelaide’s changerooms before unleashing them onto Adelaide Oval with the team.

Of course, the presence of Port Adelaide and the AFL at an event opened by China President Xi Jinping was about more than just virtual reality.

“Port Adelaide and our annual game in Shanghai is part of Australia’s effort to promote the nation in China – and that transcends trade, sport, culture and tourism,” said Andrew Hunter, Port Adelaide’s general manager of China engagement.

Awesome!

Geez, this Expo was huge. We were in and around Shanghai for four days of it, and the place was abuzz! The city was clogged with visitors and traffic was just crazy. They put on special displays for it in the city lights, so the night cruise along the Bund was just something else!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder when this will grow from Andrew's hobby to a profitable venture. We seem to be hearing the same stuff coming out of the club year after year.
Andrew's not a commercial guy, so it will be up to someone else who gets those deals done.

I wonder when this will grow from Andrew's hobby to a profitable venture. We seem to be hearing the same stuff coming out of the club year after year.
This not his hobby, it’s his job ... which at times happens to be his hobby, lucky him. We won’t hear anything to do with a ‘profitable venture’ until the Club wakes up to reality and puts someone else with him in China to concentrate on doing cold hard business ... provided he agrees to share the spotlight.

This not his hobby, it’s his job ... which at times happens to be his hobby, lucky him. We won’t hear anything to do with a ‘profitable venture’ until the Club wakes up to reality and puts someone else with him in China to concentrate on doing cold hard business ... provided he agrees to share the spotlight.
I know it is his job and he's great at it. But I keep hearing and reading about his passion for diplomacy and very little about how we are going to make money out of this.

edit: not AH's fault, but we seem to be doing only half of the necessary work.

I know it is his job and he's great at it. But I keep hearing and reading about his passion for diplomacy and very little about how we are going to make money out of this.

Less than half.

Less than half.
I’m sure the attitude of some Board members is part of the problem but surely the bigger issue is where does a cash-strapped club such as ours find the financial resources to put more or better people on the ground?
Just curious about your thoughts.
We aren’t Essendon with a 6 mill profit this year.

I’m sure the attitude of some Board members is part of the problem but surely the bigger issue is where does a cash-strapped club such as ours find the financial resources to put more or better people on the ground?
Just curious about your thoughts.
We aren’t Essendon with a 6 mill profit this year.
Looking at some of the recent hires in the commercial team, I'd say they hiring the wrong people. Maybe going for quantity over quality and connexions. But that's just my impression.

Maybe our marketing focus has to change, or take a second track if we cant get the right people on board to land a big sponsor, and push to get 500 to 600 members sign up to the China Power Club for $10k per year, to go with those businesses we are trying to link up doing trade between the 2 nations.

We is saved.

Was going to flick you a message as I’m flying to Hong Kong but we only have an hour there on Sunday and 3 hours there on Thursday arvo on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back