Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Jinglebells32

Team Captain
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens, Flinders Pk
Zhejiang is the wealthiest province in China, home of many of China's largest international companies and is China's industrial heartland. In Yiwu I noted every 2nd car was a lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley etc and I was told there are more luxury cars in yiwu than all of au and that in yiwu a lambo means nothing, if you are really rich you will have a Lear jet with a foreign pilot. The newly acquired wealth is astonishing. We felt like peasants driving around in a brand new Mazda 3, watch the movie filthy rich Asians for an example. I can see why the dumb ass yanks are getting jealous and itching for a war. China are beating them at their own game, capitalism, and will soon surpass USA as the worlds largest economy.
There are numerous large wealthy international cities in this province and it is also the home to China's Hollywood. So I can see why port chose zhejiang, te same province my wife is from. But it will be very difficult sell. Chinese people seem to follow epl & NBA only. Even then they are more likely to follow an individual star like wingard or lebron from team to team. And Chinese people DO NOT worship athletes like in the west, in fact people view athletes as being too stupid to pursue a proper career. Just the other day I was reading about a gold medal gymnast begging on the streets, in au a gold medalist would be set for life.
Having said that though I have been surprised to meet many Chinese who know about afl. Just the other day a taxi driver knew I was from au Adelaide and asked if I followed port or the crows. Wtf, I told him the crows were tongxinglian. Turned out his daughter studied in Melbourne and he had visited au. That made sense and was the case in almost every instance, eg they knew Ozzie rules from visiting au at some stage. This is the only way I can see afl taking a small foothold in china or if by some miracle we can unearth a Chinese star. Out of over a billion people there should be 1000's of Gary Abletts and warren treadreas.
Anyways I find most people build an image in their mind of a certain place based on what they have heard and seen on tv generally, I did the same before I came to China and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I have lived in the USA too and I feel a thousand times safer in China and I feel the same about the 2 countries politically.
My wife's family are in Jinhua,
Zhejiang.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
It’s not up to me to tell you or anyone else anything. It’s up to the Club’s Communications Division (yet to be set up) to do the telling, setting the pace in advance, controlling the message.
Cathay Pacific is in deep shit thanks to the massive hacking strike that has brought down customer faith and commitment, sent the airline deeply into the red, and set in motion the emergency elimination of their lower end partnerships, one of which is/was us renewable annually.
It opens the door to Singapore Airlines, to whom the Club has lost no time making overtures.
Heard this news report on Monday. The issues continue for Cathay Pacific.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...s-first-class-tickets-tenth-of-price/10714294
, Cathay Pacific has accidentally sold tickets from Europe to Hong Kong for less than a tenth of their usual prices. The South China Morning Post (SCMP) reported that first-class tickets from Portugal to Hong Kong were sold for $2,103, down from $22,179. And because Cathay Pacific doesn't fly direct from Lisbon to Hong Kong, the deep discount also included one-way legs on partner carriers from Lisbon to London, Frankfurt, or Zurich. A Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said the fares were the fault of a website error due to an input issue. "The sale of such fares was stopped immediately," she said in a statement. "We are looking into the root cause of this incident both internally and externally with our vendors. "For the very small number of customers who have purchased these tickets, we look forward to welcoming you on board to enjoy our premium services."
The error continues the string of Cathay Pacific's woes. Cathay Pacific made worldwide headlines and caused a buying frenzy when round-trip, first-class tickets from Vietnam to North America were briefly discounted from about $23,000 to just under $1,500, and business-class seats were less than $1,000 on New Year's Eve. Cathay honoured all the tickets, but SMCP reported that the mistake, which was the product of human error, likely cost the carrier millions of dollars. In October, stocks plunged when their airline revealed a massive data breach that affected 9.4 million passengers.

And on a lighter note, one of Cathay Pacific's planes in September was discovered to have been branded with a misspelling of its own name.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...s-first-class-tickets-tenth-of-price/10714294

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Those aren’t errors IMO. It’s guerilla advertising designed to whitewash Google of the hacking incident.
Interesting strategy if they did that. Wont whitewash them - just moves it page 5 or 8 or 10 of a general search or news search. You can pay people to write algorithms to somehow stop your name / company name coming up.

Top Bottom