Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was with the commentators saying Port will be rotated out of playing in China and St Kilda will have a true home game where they make the money. So we take the risk and the VFL want the rewards.
It was just Dwayne speaking hyperbolic s**t.

The only way we get rotated out is if Mr Gui says so.

He also said we could maybe play a home game in China. Our AO lease doesn't allow that. Sheer ignorance.

What was with the commentators saying Port will be rotated out of playing in China and St Kilda will have a true home game where they make the money. So we take the risk and the VFL want the rewards.
Wouldnt surprise me. The Vic Giv are stumping up serious $$ and resources while their SA counterparts sit on their hands.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Heard Keith Thomas interviewed on the radio before the game. A few interesting points...
- Reinforced the message that the game allows us to broaden our commercial reach and establish local (China) commercial partnerships
- That we'll take our AFLW team to China when we get a licence (I thought this was pretty sly, the question was from female commentator saying how important it was to have the women's program there, Keith neglected to say that we played the China card instead of the AFLW...)
- He did a lot of 'scene setting' which I've heard him done before, 'Imagine this, imagine that' .
- Refused to speculate on whether Motlop paid for an upgrade.

All in all, it wasn't overly informative (I expect it was for a Vic-centric audience), but still, not sure how to read the commercial partnerships talk

Wouldnt surprise me. The Vic Giv are stumping up serious $$ and resources while their SA counterparts sit on their hands.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you are saying the AFL is owned, directed and managed by the Vic. government.

Perhaps I should expand a little on what I posted earlier. State governments certainly have a role to play but can be overstated. The current and previous SA governments have contributed equal amounts and is appreciated. Throwing mega amounts of money would have questionable financial returns. Governments do not sign commerical agreements other than the seriously big stuff, defence etc.

However, if a government was to tell the AFL they will cover all costs of the AFL and a club then that would be totally unacceptable. Then again, we witnessesed the unedifying buyout of the GF at the MCG.

Last edited:
So you are saying the AFL is owned, directed and managed by the Vic. government.

No. If they can find a financial backer as our club has successfully done then there is nothing stopping them going ahead with it.

But if you want to foam and mope over a few seconds of Dwayne Russell hyperbole, the you go right ahead brother!!

No. If they can find a financial backer as our club has successfully done then there is nothing stopping them going ahead with it.

But if you want to foam and mope over a few seconds of Dwayne Russell hyperbole, the you go right ahead brother!!

I suggest you look up the phrase 'over reaction' as I was responding to another poster. Checking facts is also a great idea.

I suggest you look up the phrase 'over reaction' as I was responding to another poster. Checking facts is also a great idea.

There's no conspiracy bro.

If the Saints and the Vic Government can come up with a compelling proposition to make it happen then more power to them. I bet though that after the narrative of the loss, illness and Geary's injury it will all be China's fault and the concept will be heavily on the nose of their supporter base.

It was just Dwayne speaking hyperbolic ****.

The only way we get rotated out is if Mr Gui says so.

He also said we could maybe play a home game in China. Our AO lease doesn't allow that. Sheer ignorance.

I was thinking that it might be rotation as in who gets home game rights, not who plays in it.

I was thinking that it might be rotation as in who gets home game rights, not who plays in it.
I don't think Saints will get any unless they don't accept a fee from the funds we raise.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get muscled out of the China game in the coming years.

I can see it, being us next year, muscled out by two middling vic teams and then the excuse "it wasn't a big moneymaking adventure as we liked" and the whole thing is a irrelevant footnote in AFL history.

I don't think Saints will get any unless they don't accept a fee from the funds we raise.

That's what I mean. Today, we had to pay St Kilda $500k on top of whatever they generated from sponsorships for their own matchday. If St Kilda hosts it instead, it's just an away game - instead of being -$500k for the AFL at the start of it, St Kilda can move their home match to Shanghai, get the matchday rights for the ground (like the advertisers etc) and make their money that way.

I think the club has wanted to show other clubs what they can make out of the game by hosting it themselves - if we make say $200k on it, it means there is $700k a game to be made if there wasn't that match payment being made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would it be unacceptable?[/QUOTE

You need to read the initial post I was responding to but to my mind, it would be in the same category as the Vic government buying the GF and tying it to the MCG.

But if you are comfortable with governments getting that involved to that degree in sport so be it, it's just I have a different view. End of story.

That's what I mean. Today, we had to pay St Kilda $500k on top of whatever they generated from sponsorships for their own matchday. If St Kilda hosts it instead, it's just an away game - instead of being -$500k for the AFL at the start of it, St Kilda can move their home match to Shanghai, get the matchday rights for the ground (like the advertisers etc) and make their money that way.

I think the club has wanted to show other clubs what they can make out of the game by hosting it themselves - if we make say $200k on it, it means there is $700k a game to be made if there wasn't that match payment being made.

Timmy G and Tredders said the payment was a fair bit more than $500k

I am not sure where I read it but I know I read that the game was a sell out with almost half the seats bought by the Chinese. If that is the case where was the crowd? We went with a Victorian club to boost the crowd numbers but it did not work.

I appreciate the need to promote business ties with the Chinese market but the game is also supposed to promote Aussie Rules among the Chinese population. If that is the case the stadium needs to be full. Maybe this will happen but this is year three and the masses are not exactly flocking through the turnstiles.

Nice to win and win well but from the perspective of promoting the game that was another disappointment. I noted that when the camera panned to Gillion and Kochie nether smiling, in fact they were both sitting expressionless like garden gnomes.

I am not sure where I read it but I know I read that the game was a sell out with almost half the seats bought by the Chinese. If that is the case where was the crowd? We went with a Victorian club to boost the crowd numbers but it did not work.

I appreciate the need to promote business ties with the Chinese market but the game is also supposed to promote Aussie Rules among the Chinese population. If that is the case the stadium needs to be full. Maybe this will happen but this is year three and the masses are not exactly flocking through the turnstiles.

Nice to win and win well but from the perspective of promoting the game that was another disappointment. I noted that when the camera panned to Gillion and Kochie nether smiling, in fact they were both sitting expressionless like garden gnomes.
I think the fullness of the stadium is a lesser issue.
Many of the stands are unusable due to the goals not being visible from them.
One of the sponsors put his patrons on a bus to the wrong place so they didn’t arrive until very late in the game.
The tents were where a lot of people were with the heat and refreshments offered.
A night game might work better.
It will take years to build any proper Chinese audience to this strange game. Auskick has only been in Southern China for a short time.
The game is part of the Aus festival there where Australian and Chinese business can mingle face to face. Thst is where we are trying to do business.
It is the Chinese in Australia the AFL
are chasing for membership.
The number of Port supporters going will decrease over the years. Many can hardly afford their yearly membership, never mind the cost of a trip to China.
Hell, people from Aus clubs won’t even travel interstate or across Melbourne to see a game. Check out crowd numbers of many games in our back yard.

I think the fullness of the stadium is a lesser issue.
Many of the stands are unusable due to the goals not being visible from them.
One of the sponsors put his patrons on a bus to the wrong place so they didn’t arrive until very late in the game.
The tents were where a lot of people were with the heat and refreshments offered.
A night game might work better.
It will take years to build any proper Chinese audience to this strange game. Auskick has only been in Southern China for a short time.
The game is part of the Aus festival there where Australian and Chinese business can mingle face to face. Thst is where we are trying to do business.
It is the Chinese in Australia the AFL
are chasing for membership.
The number of Port supporters going will decrease over the years. Many can hardly afford their yearly membership, never mind the cost of a trip to China.
Hell, people from Aus clubs won’t even travel interstate or across Melbourne to see a game. Check out crowd numbers of many games in our back yard.

Official crowd: 7581 at Giants Stadium

(I bet our game had a bigger TV audience too)

The annual pile on about crowd numbers (as if that's the whole point of the excercise) is grating. This is where our so-called high profile Chairman needs to be coming out and ramming a forceful explanation down people's throats. Put the club's flag in the ground for once man.

The annual pile on about crowd numbers (as if that's the whole point of the excercise) is grating. This is where our so-called high profile Chairman needs to be coming out and ramming a forceful explanation down people's throats. Put the club's flag in the ground for once man.
Yep people are so uneducated and just believe the drivel spouted by commentators with massively vested interests.
The disappointing part is when our own supporters. PAFC66 etc , spew the same rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back