Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kochie at the after match last night spoke about a big announcement this week. Then noticed in the Age today a good read about Port and China adventure they expect a further announcment as the PM will be in China this week.

m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-makes-china-television-debut-with-port-adelaide-broadcast-deal-20160408-go2cma.html

'The initiative, which represents the most significant step to market the game to the worlds largest audience since a 2010 exhibition match between Melbourne and Brisbane in Shanghai, came after a two-year effort by Port to seek partnerships and commercial arrangements in China. A further announcment is expected to coincide with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's visit to China next week.'

Looks like an exciting week ahead for Port fans with the next step in our clubs China partnership being announced. What has been a few years of hard work by commited ,talented and passionate people (our Lockhart Road one of many) has our club hopefully assured of not only a future but a strong future both as a footy club and as part of our community.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kochie at the after match last night spoke about a big announcement this week. Then noticed in the Age today a good read about Port and China adventure they expect a further announcment as the PM will be in China this week. thttp://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-makes-china-television-debut-with-port-adelaide-broadcast-deal-20160408-go2cma.htmlhey 'The initiative, which represents the most significant step to market the game to the worlds largest audience since a 2010 exhibition match between Melbourne and Brisbane in Shanghai, came after a two-year effort by Port to seek partnerships and commercial arrangements in China. A further announcment is expected to coincide with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's visit to China next week.' Looks like an exciting week ahead for Port fans with the next step in our clubs China partnership being announced. What has been a few years of hard work by commited ,talented and passionate people (our Lockhart Road one of many) has our club hopefully assured of not only a future but a strong future both as a footy club and as part of our community.
Kudos to our club for sure.
Now to win some more games, please boys.

While appreciating the long game, goodwill, ties and the vibe, I'm keen to see what sort of cashishular dividend looms on the horizon.

Show-me-the-money-GIF.gif

While appreciating the long game, goodwill, ties and the vibe, I'm keen to see what sort of cashishular dividend looms on the horizon.
5 more sleeps.

I'm a little surprised by nutmeg racist/ jelly comments by some opposition supporters

I don't care if the hawks market themselves in Tassie. So not sure why some care about our foray into china.

Kochie at the after match last night spoke about a big announcement this week. Then noticed in the Age today a good read about Port and China adventure they expect a further announcment as the PM will be in China this week.

m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-makes-china-television-debut-with-port-adelaide-broadcast-deal-20160408-go2cma.html

'The initiative, which represents the most significant step to market the game to the worlds largest audience since a 2010 exhibition match between Melbourne and Brisbane in Shanghai, came after a two-year effort by Port to seek partnerships and commercial arrangements in China. A further announcment is expected to coincide with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's visit to China next week.'

Looks like an exciting week ahead for Port fans with the next step in our clubs China partnership being announced. What has been a few years of hard work by commited ,talented and passionate people (our Lockhart Road one of many) has our club hopefully assured of not only a future but a strong future both as a footy club and as part of our community.

Many thanks Needs Gravy for accepting the well-deserved honour of opening this thread.

Other posters and readers won't know what I'm talking about, of course, but in due course the truth will out. Needs Gravy is central to a flukey little chapter in the midst of our broader story which could end up a bestseller.

Right now there is not a lot of substance that can be added to this thread risk-free. That will change, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, as Thursday morning, 14 April 2016 approaches. The important thing is that the thread is in place as a historical record.

The other important thing is that current plans don't change, something that can never be guaranteed.

I made a promise to RussellEbertHandball and Ford Fairlane to post a daily cryptic on this new thread.

Cryptic # 1 is the famous pic above of the Big Sheila clinking between 36%- and 64%-proof with Zhou Enlai - my favourite real-life Chinese hero - with Gough trying the impossible feat of looking over Marg's shoulder.

Zhou is obviously racked with cancer. He died shortly after in early January 1976. In July that year came the Tangshan earthquake. Gough and Marg were back in China for it. The night of the 'quake they were in a hotel in Tianjin, not too far from the epicentre, which fueled the rumour the Whitlams, dangerously energised by the local liquor, caused the earth to move.
Two months later, Mao died. There is an ancient Chinese saying that a natural disaster of the scale of Tangshan signals the end of a dynasty.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
If its an official announcement for a pre-season game there that will be a let down. Hopefully its an announcent INCLUDING a pre season game.
Doctor Feel , LR, who is quite a hardheaded (compliment) gentleman, has carefully lined Needs Gravy up to reserve this thread title for "historical record".

He has built up the approach of the date Thursday morning, 14 April 2016 as a momentous moment.

I have a feeling it's not just a little ol' preseason game.

I hereby prophesy something

Big_Ten_Conference_logo.png

I don't know what the announcement is despite Lockhart Road's mention of me but I figure if he's linked 4 articles about Malcolm Turnbull's 1,000 strong trade delegation to China it's not about a pre-season game.

Cryptic # 1 is the famous pic above of the Big Sheila clinking between 36%- and 64%-proof with Zhou Enlai - my favourite real-life Chinese hero - with Gough trying the impossible feat of looking over Marg's shoulder......
Nice clue. If it is what I'm thinking of, then there will always be a bit of signing with this and at least 2 participate. You usually start a long term deal with one of these. Is that right LR?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back