Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to flick you a message as I’m flying to Hong Kong but we only have an hour there on Sunday and 3 hours there on Thursday arvo on the way home.
I’ll keep an eye on BF in case you are bumped or find some other way to make it into the bar area.
Port Woolwich

I’m sure the attitude of some Board members is part of the problem but surely the bigger issue is where does a cash-strapped club such as ours find the financial resources to put more or better people on the ground?
Just curious about your thoughts.
We aren’t Essendon with a 6 mill profit this year.
My belief is that ‘cash-strapped’ is a state of mind that has to be broken out of before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Just finished listening to he Phil Hoffman travel section on 5AA and they talked about the Shanghai game with their travel consultant Mel, talking about packages and things to do in Shanghai and talked a bit about Hong Kong. Made me a bit toey to get to the game in June.

Apparently the club is having a talk/seminar on Wednesday night, 6pm at the port Club, about travelling to the game with Matthew Richardson and Brian Cunningham and Mel. I assume its been mainly organised for those who have registered with Phil Hoffman but everyone is invited to attend.

Just finished listening to he Phil Hoffman travel section on 5AA and they talked about the Shanghai game with their travel consultant Mel, talking about packages and things to do in Shanghai and talked a bit about Hong Kong. Made me a bit toey to get to the game in June.

Apparently the club is having a talk/seminar on Wednesday night, 6pm at the port Club, about travelling to the game with Matthew Richardson and Brian Cunningham and Mel. I assume its been mainly organised for those who have registered with Phil Hoffman but everyone is invited to attend.
I didn’t realise the packages were out already.

I didn’t realise the packages were out already.
They always get released when the game is announced. Didnt you click on the Shanghai game link?

We need someone with a bit of Twiggy Forest attitude to get involved in the China strategy and kick it along to get a big financial return.

Power Raid you know Twiggy well, can you swing him around to us and meet up with Mr Gui? Rapid Rugby is coming to shake up Rugby in Oz and across Asia and the Pacific. From the Weeekend Australian

Twiggy Forrest targets world’s best players for Rapid Rugby
Given Andrew Forrest’s wealth is around the $4.5 billion mark, a $50 million investment in a new pan-Asian rugby competition could easily been seen as a financial drop in the ocean. But that sum represents both probably the biggest investment by an individual in Australian team sport history and a huge bet taking a sport that is struggling locally into some countries where it has virtually no history. The enthusiastic Forrest is not exactly one to shy away from a challenge, as he explains to The Weekend Australian. After all, he has built his $12bn iron ore giant Fortescue Metals Group from virtually nothing a little more than a decade ago to become the third force in mining alongside behemoths BHP and Rio Tinto.

So why not do the same with his Rapid Rugby competition set to kick off in February — yes, about the same time as Super Rugby — with the Western Force at its epicentre and seven other teams based in places like Hawaii, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Fiji?

“We don’t do things by the rule book. Critics said we wouldn’t do this … but we are going to launch a brand new rugby competition with innovative rules,” Forrest told The Weekend Australian. “All those things that people don’t like about rugby now? We’ve taken those out. We will have an entertaining, fast-paced and dynamic game that fans want to watch and players want to play.” Those points will certainly cause some consternation given the Rapid Rugby season — featuring 70-minute games with new and revised rules to keep the ball in play by making kicking into touch riskier and discouraging lineouts — overlaps that of Super Rugby.

In terms of fans, Forrest says he is growing new audiences. “We did surveys of the Force’s World Series Rugby matches this year and we found one in two people were new to rugby. So it is great if we can attract more women and families to the game. “In Asia, you have 60 per cent of the population under 16. They want a fast-paced contact ball-carrying sport, and we think we can be that.” Whether that works in non-traditional rugby nations remains to be seen. But then there is the matter of filling playing rosters. There are Australians playing in Europe that could be enticed to the competition in which teams will have no salary cap. And Forrest says he wants 20 of the world’s best 100 players dispersed among his teams. Does it mean a Super League style poaching war between Rapid Rugby and the established Super Rugby? “Watch this space is all I’m allowed to say right now. But when I say we’re targeting the best available I do mean the very best.” Forrest’s teams will be the Western Force, which he plans to divest himself of, and others in Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Fiji, Samoa, Japan (potentially the Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights), Singapore and most likely Hawaii. Most will at least begin with Forrest’s financial backing, though some cashed-up individuals could be involved. He says there has been good interest from broadcasters and that facet will be as innovative as the on-field action, which could mean streaming services show matches......
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/1328f1d451bb2f4a597f67e9572d8e7f

A similar but different story is available at the free news.com.au sit written on Thursday.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...y/news-story/f5bb2b9b8e0b5cf00f8a49ff08e56d6b
Andrew Forrest’s new look Rapid Rugby competition has been conditionally sanctioned by the World Rugby Council and its dates are set to clash with the more established Super Rugby tournament. Eight teams across the Asia-Pacific region, including the Perth-based Western Force, would contest 56 games over 14 rounds, prior to four finals over three weeks, with the winners taking a $1 million first prize. Sanctioning has been granted subject to approval from participating unions and it’s believed Rugby Australia will back the Force’s participation in the tournament. The Force apart, there will be teams from Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Fiji, Samoa and Japan, plus one backed by a private consortium in a country to be revealed. Forrest is looking at an inaugural season starting in late February, with a three week finals series culminating in a June grand final.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...y/news-story/f5bb2b9b8e0b5cf00f8a49ff08e56d6b

Deposit Paid!

Mum, Bro, his wife, 1 Aunty and my cousin coming from Adelaide. Cuz's bro flying in from Vegas and another uncle coming in from Perth, with me coming from Brisbane. What better place to have a mini extended family reunion than Shanghai?

All the Adelaide based peeps are going to the info night.

Well it seemsa family member is keen to go with me next year to Shanghai.
Could someone who has been please advise me about the various ticketing options listed here.
https://afl.teeleetravel.com.au/Articles.asp?ID=260

Majesty Hotel is excellent. Great location, large rooms and close to a multitude of local eateries.

Note, people aren't restricted to the packages as many opt for different arrival/departure dates to suit budgets and time away from home.

Last edited:
... Apparently the club is having a talk/seminar on Wednesday night, 6pm at the port Club, about travelling to the game with Matthew Richardson and Brian Cunningham and Mel. I assume its been mainly organised for those who have registered with Phil Hoffman but everyone is invited to attend.
This ad was on page 6 of yesterday's Sunday Mail

shanghai 2019.JPG

Could someone who has been please advise me about the various ticketing options listed here.
It depends what your budget is, and if you want the corporate experience or not. Last year we purchased grandstand terrace tickets which ended up being reserved seats on the non-broadcast wing for $20 each. Highly recommend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in Shenzen on Sunday. I’ll snoop around for a sponsor and keep my ear to the ground about the aforementioned invasion.

The return of gunboat diplomacy. ;)

Majesty Hotel is excellent. Great location, large rooms and close to a multitude of local eateries.

Note, people aren't restricted to the packages as many opt for different arrival/departure dates to suit budgets and time away from home.
View attachment 585903
I've received this in an email the other day. We're not going next year but want to sometime. Not sure of the value-for-money here, however it's another option for members to explore
It depends what your budget is, and if you want the corporate experience or not. Last year we purchased grandstand terrace tickets which ended up being reserved seats on the non-broadcast wing for $20 each. Highly recommend.
Thank you

A lot different down here in steel city to the big smoke of Shanghai. Just had an amazing lunch with the whole family at the table next to us including what looked like a 10 year old firing durries down during lunch like it was a world record attempt.

Food was sublime.

Still no talk of an invasion except of course the smoke that just invaded and destroyed my lungs.

A lot different down here in steel city to the big smoke of Shanghai. Just had an amazing lunch with the whole family at the table next to us including what looked like a 10 year old firing durries down during lunch like it was a world record attempt.

Food was sublime.

Still no talk of an invasion except of course the smoke that just invaded and destroyed my lungs.

Surely the effects of the smoke would be offset by copious amounts of Tsing Tao?

Surely the effects of the smoke would be offset by copious amounts of Tsing Tao?

If I had copious tsing taos I’d be inhaling the durries like a Chinese 10 year old at a family lunch

If I had copious tsing taos I’d be inhaling the durries like a Chinese 10 year old at a family lunch
Well done, Dingler. You have invented Bar Crawl Diplomacy.

https://sc.mp/d52cw

USS Ronald Reagan carrier group to visit Hong Kong as China holds out olive branch to America

• US strike group heading to city after visit by senior PLA commander amid drive to ease tensions ahead of Trump-Xi meeting
  • Two months ago China had refused to allow US warship to berth in city as trade war escalated

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 20 November, 2018, 8:24pm

522b4cfa-ecb9-11e8-b0fe-c62dccd2d711_1280x720_213114.jpg

“Now where’s this Eddie Dingle bloke? I want to talk about Tsingtao Beer sponsoring the Power.”

I've been to both games and viewing-wise the simple answer is there's no appreciable difference between the various options.
Catering, shelter, and the ability to move around the ground were so improved from 2017 to 2018 it's hard to guide you on what to expect next year.
Both years we organised our own travel and accommodation and waited until the club sold tickets on general release

I've been to both games and viewing-wise the simple answer is there's no appreciable difference between the various options.
Catering, shelter, and the ability to move around the ground were so improved from 2017 to 2018 it's hard to guide you on what to expect next year.
Both years we organised our own travel and accommodation and waited until the club sold tickets on general release
Thank you for your response. I imagine there will be even more improvements this year. When registering for tickets it asked me to choose an option so I will look at them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back