Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a thought on this new office--
How about the Port Adelaide Club see if they can get access to this Shanghai office to set up a China office for themselves.
Probably have to pay some rent etc but at least they will have established a presence, this is of course predicated that the office area will be big enough.
You will not know if you do not ask.

Just a thought on this new office--
How about the Port Adelaide Club see if they can get access to this Shanghai office to set up a China office for themselves.
Probably have to pay some rent etc but at least they will have established a presence, this is of course predicated that the office area will be big enough.
You will not know if you do not ask.

We have to commit the money to have 4 or more full time staff there as we talked about a few years ago when we signed the MOU with Mr Gui. Lockhart Road probably knows the answer but I dont know when we will apoint these full time development staff to work these school footy programsto be based in Shanghai rather than do the fly in fly out stuff.

Last edited:
Was that Austrade's line that they wrote independent of Koch, or did Koch say what we are in doing in China in such a way, that it looks like that is his attitude? I don't know, but it doesn't look good.
Koch retweeted it, so yes that is his attitude, not that there was any doubt.
I’m sure David Koch has good intentions for the club, and has certainly been an immense step up from the dark days, but I’ve seen too many examples of behaviours that show he instinctively operates on an individualist agenda. (Hell, even his ‘prodigal son’ back story is focussed on his honouring of his father.)

I don’t believe that this is the type of leadership that our club needs right now.

I think that sooner rather than later it will be time to thank Koch, Thomas, and Hinkley for all they have done for our club, but tell them it is time to move on away from them. The two seasons I have followed the club have made me suspect they might have reached a ceiling.

I think that sooner rather than later it will be time to thank Koch, Thomas, and Hinkley for all they have done for our club, but tell them it is time to move on away from them. The two seasons I have followed the club have made me suspect they might have reached a ceiling.
There are no obvious candidates in the pipeline. This isn't an issue for coaching as there is always a thruster out there, but for the other roles it isn't so simple.

There are no obvious candidates in the pipeline. This isn't an issue for coaching as there is always a thruster out there, but for the other roles it isn't so simple.
There is a replacement for Koch as chairman, business person type, but there isnt one with a national TV presence. Just like there is a decent business person in Mark Mentha Korda deputy chair at Collingwood, who could take over from Eddie, but he doesn't work in TV and radio so he wont have his media presence.

KT is harder to find a 200-300 game footballer, who understands the game, worked in the media industry and ran radio stations, and is a good businessman. Those type of CEO's are bloody hard to find.

Last edited:
I've always thought Hitaf Rasheed is the most obvious successor to KT...
Gotta admit I have warmed to her being a potential successor the last couple of years and wondered if the change of government forced her out of her current role, if we would snap her up somehow.

State Govt are tipping in $275,000 for the Crowettes. How much does the SA State Gov tip into our China stuff?
$350k this year and next.

$350k was for the naming rights of "Adelaide Arena" in Shanghai. That was for the 2018 game Weatherill committed in October 2017 and Marshall recommitted 5 weeks ago but just for 2019. No idea what the government gave for the 2017 game.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2...-sa-secures-naming-rights-ports-china-return/
The Weatherill Government is kicking in $350,000 to the event, which includes naming rights sponsorship for the duration of the event, with the Premier declaring the showcase a chance “to reach out to the fastest-growing economy in the world”. “This is more than just a sporting event – it represents a very powerful way in which we can internationalise the SA economy,” he told the media.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2018/10/29/ports-china-venture-gets-state-govt-backing/
The Marshall Government has extended its $350,000 sponsorship of Port Adelaide’s Shanghai venture for another season, although there is no funding guarantee in the longer term.

Premier Steven Marshall today announced the State Government would again chip in for naming rights to help bolster SA’s exposure from the game, with the oval to be called Adelaide Arena for the event’s duration. “I was in China for the Port Adelaide v Gold Coast game in 2018 and it was a pleasure to not only attend the match but also to see firsthand the strong trade ties and business activity generated by the China game,” Marshall said in a statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$350k was for the naming rights of "Adelaide Arena" in Shanghai. That was for the 2018 game Weatherill committed in October 2017 and Marshall recommitted 5 weeks ago but just for 2019. No idea what the government gave for the 2017 game.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2...-sa-secures-naming-rights-ports-china-return/
The Weatherill Government is kicking in $350,000 to the event, which includes naming rights sponsorship for the duration of the event, with the Premier declaring the showcase a chance “to reach out to the fastest-growing economy in the world”. “This is more than just a sporting event – it represents a very powerful way in which we can internationalise the SA economy,” he told the media.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2018/10/29/ports-china-venture-gets-state-govt-backing/
The Marshall Government has extended its $350,000 sponsorship of Port Adelaide’s Shanghai venture for another season, although there is no funding guarantee in the longer term.

Premier Steven Marshall today announced the State Government would again chip in for naming rights to help bolster SA’s exposure from the game, with the oval to be called Adelaide Arena for the event’s duration. “I was in China for the Port Adelaide v Gold Coast game in 2018 and it was a pleasure to not only attend the match but also to see firsthand the strong trade ties and business activity generated by the China game,” Marshall said in a statement.
With expected business dividends.

How many away fans do the Crowettes attract?

Just finished reading that after I got the email from Indaily, and thought after reading the opening paragraph it would be about poor treatment of international students. I expected Andrew to tee off. He didn't really and only touched on a few of the serious issues that international students face.

But he did get some good Port promo in at the end of the article.

Sport is a powerful instrument through which visitors can become immersed in the local community. Particularly in Australia, sport plays a profoundly important role. Earlier this year, Port Adelaide Football Club signed a three-year agreement with the University of Adelaide designed to enhance the experience of visiting students and provide internship opportunities for graduates from within its domestic and international network. The experience of international students broadens as soon as they put on the scarf of their favourite team; when they barrack at stadiums, they become part of something bigger.

An understanding of our indigenous sport, the carrier of cultural values, also enhances the visitors’ understanding of Australian culture, both good and bad. On a more common level, being able to talk about football also provides an ‘ice-breaker’ in Australian workplaces or bars. It encourages more meaningful interactions with the local community, which has a transformative effect. Sport puts all members of the community on the same playing field, as equal participants.

Hopefully, the University of Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football Club model will help change the way international education is done in Australia. We need to take seriously our responsibility for visiting students. This way, the benefits of international education will be social and cultural, as well as economic.

Just finished reading that after I got the email from Indaily, and thought after reading the opening paragraph it would be about poor treatment of international students. I expected Andrew to tee off. He didn't really and only touched on a few of the serious issues that international students face.

But he did get some good Port promo in at the end of the article.

Not footy related but on topic, I found this ABC article really eye opening

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...ittle-support-international-students/10513590

A neat article by Andrew Hunter. He’s good at this stuff, honing his craft by writing opinions for Fairfax in Canberra and now articles for the Adelaide Review. His international role at PAFC provides him with the personal experience and satisfaction that adds scope and authority to his literary work.

He has long held an ambition to write a book telling his side of the story about Port Adelaide’s venture into China. At one very temporary stage a couple of years ago we even discussed doing it together, my role being to provide input covering the period prior to early 2015 when Andrew arrived at Alberton, having been headhunted by KT who’d had an eye on him for quite a while.

Writers write ... and writers talk to each other about writing. It’s inbred. A couple of months ago, over a beer in the Pro Drinkers Corner, Andrew let on that his book was finished. He’d given it the title Power To The Middle Kingdom. Publication was being held up, he said, because he’d given the honour of writing the foreword to someone else in the Club, higher up than Andrew himself and more nationally famous - the sort of personage one would automatically think of for such an honourable task. By now Andrew’s book would’ve been held up for more than six months ... if that foreword is indeed still not done.

Not footy related but on topic, I found this ABC article really eye opening

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...ittle-support-international-students/10513590
Thanks for the link. This is the sort of stuff I thought Andrew was going to address in his article. The whole not speaking adequate English is a huge problem. Uni's say they require good standards but they dont.

I remember when I was living in Sydney about 10 years ago, an academic at Wollongong Uni either had just quit because of, or was getting out to the media and kicking up a storm about the lack of English skills for international students. Basically the same situation as the opening couple of paragraphs revealed in that ABC News story. The Unis, and private education colleges/providers just take the students' money and do not really care if they do a proper English course or the ELICOS English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students before they join their full time studies.

This academic was on at the start of the morning show on ABC radio and explained how bad a situation it was, students don't understand what he is saying, the Asian cultural thing about nodding the head and saying yes as a respect thing, even though they don't understand. He said with one student he advised him that he could find a text book in the library, the student didn't really understand and in the end the academic in sheer frustration took the student to the library to show him how the library system worked. Wollongong Uni denied there was a problem at all. The rest of the morning show there was probably 50 calls from students, academics, even parents etc giving their experiences on the problems and issues poor language skills caused for everyone, teachers and all students, not just the foreign student. I don't think there has been much improvement over the decade.

If we are going to be a link to Chinese students especially with the Power Footy Study Tour programs with Jincheng Holdings Group, Australian Nutrition and Sports and Adelaide Uni as announced in May, and the partnership we announced in July (see pages 348 and 349) with Adelaide Uni's Adelaide Business School linking Chinese graduates with businesses in our China and Australia network and building on the Uni's existing China Career Ready Plus program, then I hope we contribute to helping Chinese students to at least, avoid some of the pitfalls they talked about in that ABC News story.

For our Brazilian friends GremioPower and diegodcg this graph from that story might be of interest.

Why so many Brazilians? Well they are the 5th most populated nation in the world. But the main reason is that Australian tertiary education institutions have targeted Latin American students in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Mexico the last 10 years or so, Mainly the Sydney and Melbourne institutions. Also the Brazilian government program Science Without Borders have seen a lot of Brazilian's come to Oz. Wrote a bit about it here in July 2015 - LINK.

I have no idea why Nepal is so large. But the other day I got a shock when I looked at a list of countries that drive on the left side of the road and it said Nepal had 29 million people. I thought it was about 9 million.

10517990-3x2-700x467.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent stuff REH.
Send a copy to Koch and ask him to bring it up on Sunrise.
Not just bring it up - pursue it.
He should be doing things like this plus a lot more in support of ‘his’ club’s heavy lifting in China without being asked.

Excellent stuff REH.
Send a copy to Koch and ask him to bring it up on Sunrise.
Not just bring it up - pursue it.
He should be doing things like this plus a lot more in support of ‘his’ club’s heavy lifting in China without being asked.
I will get my mate the Airport Economist - who now works at Uni NSW these days - works with Koch and Pinstripe Media to pursue this with him. They are both on holiday at the moment, but I will pursue this in the new year as it ties in with something I'm working on.

I will get my mate the Airport Economist - who now works at Uni NSW these days - works with Koch and Pinstripe Media to pursue this with him. They are both on holiday at the moment, but I will pursue this in the new year as it ties in with something I'm working on.

Nice REH, I thought you’d enjoy a longread. It just seems so stupid to me that unis don’t seem to care about the student experience for nearly half (in some cases) of their customers.

I have a lot of experience in literacy and numeracy policy, but none in language. I don’t know what the answer is but as you mention, Port have structures in place to dabble in this space. If it contributes to the China strategy then why not.

Nice REH, I thought you’d enjoy a longread. It just seems so stupid to me that unis don’t seem to care about the student experience for nearly half (in some cases) of their customers.

I have a lot of experience in literacy and numeracy policy, but none in language. I don’t know what the answer is but as you mention, Port have structures in place to dabble in this space. If it contributes to the China strategy then why not.
What is concerning about this whole poor language and poor engagement stuff is that the Uni and education sector in general as well as the fed and state governments, are oblivious to the long term damage its doing to the reputation of our education institutions and therefore Australia.

If you have a huge number of students who pay $80k to $100k just for tuition and their degree becomes useless because they are passing them to keep the "customers happy" and make sure that word of mouth in the home country isn't that there is a high fail rate at this Uni, ( the Woolongong academic complained about being pressured to have certain pass rates), it devalues the degree of everyone who attends the Uni, as well as the whole Alumnus' degrees. It affects a lot more than the individual students.

But because education is the 3rd largest earner of foreign income for Oz, behind Iron Ore and Coal, and a big gap to Tourism and other mineral exports, the government just encourages the Uni's to max out their number of foreign students. And the Uni's have become addicted to their tuition fees and can't adequately function without this income stream.

It's why I hope what Port and Adelaide Uni are doing can become a niche program to start, to help iron out some of these issues. We have the right intentions about trying to improve the cultural experience and make sure they aren't just ATM's for the Uni, but the Uni has to make a commitment to upholding the language standards and assist students to improve their language skills. This has to be done at both individual lecturer and tutor level but also mainly at the institution level.

Thought I'd transfer from the sponsorship discussion thread some of the stuff about the new Jincheng educational partnership that is backing up Power Footy Study Tours program

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...elaides-game-changing-educational-partnership
Port Adelaide's game changing educational partnership
Port Adelaide has signed a five-year partnership with the Jincheng Holding Group, a real estate, health and education group headquartered in China’s Zhejiang Province.

Jincheng Group also owns Entel Education Group, which consists of several schools and kindergartens who educate more than six thousand students across China.

Port Adelaide’s partnership with Jincheng will see both organisations working together to deliver significant educational outcomes for Chinese students here in Australia.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...elaides-game-changing-educational-partnership

We announced we were taking the Power Footy Program to the province of Zhejiang in this story in August this year. I posted in the China thread the following from an Advertiser story.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-350#post-57520207
The Port Adelaide Football Club has received $60,000 funding from the Australia China Council, an arm of the Federal Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, to extend its footy program into schools in the Sichuan province..........The club will expand the program to schools in the Zhejiang Province in the 2018-2019 Chinese school year......

We got a $60k grant from DFAT and I posted their media release here, re the Sichuan province Power Footy Program getting that $60k. Zhejiang program didn't get a grant.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-357#post-58692867

The club in August released this story, which the Advertiser based its story on.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-24/ports-power-footy-expansion
MORE students in China will learn about Australian Rules football and be exposed to Australian culture thanks to a partnership between the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Federal Government – and South Australia will be the beneficiary. The expansion is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia-China Council of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

In 2019, the program will expand to two new provinces – Zhejiang as well as Sichuan - and involve at least 30 schools. This expansion holds great commercial potential, with PAFC to announce private sector support for the program in the coming weeks. It also holds great economic potential for South Australia.

In early August, a significant Chinese company that supports the Power Footy program traveled to South Australia and met with the University of Adelaide, with discussions now underway to send 100 Power Footy graduates each year to the university, creating around 29 jobs in South Australia and attracting a $13 million-dollar boost to the state’s economy. Under the three-year agreement to expand the program in China, the Commonwealth Government, through its Australia China Council, will provide $60,000 to complement private sector support to expand Power Footy into Sichuan.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-24/ports-power-footy-expansion

At the time I wondered who this was and when they would be revealed. Maybe it is the Jincheng Holding Group or their Entel Education Group subsidiary.

I also wondered at the time if we just went to Zhejiang province because it is the province next to Shanghai ( which is its own municipal level of government equal to a province). Or because its capital is Hangzhou about 180km SW of Shanghai another 10m people city with the greater metro area holding 21m people, meant it would be easy to take the Power Footy Programs to a relatively close city, less than an hour on those fast trains. Or was it because Alibaba is based in Hangzhou. Or are we chasing another Chinese company based there??

Anway when I did a search for the article above, I found 2 posts that I made that maybe relevant to why Zhejiang province. Gina Reinhart and S. Kidman & Co have signed an agreement with a consortium lead by the Chinese New Hope Group, (who are planning to invest $1bil in Oz agriculture), who will build a new feedlot, quarantine and meat-processing facilities in the specially-approved Free Trade Zone for Australian agriculture and food exports to China on the Zhejiang province's Jintang Island near Zhoushan, which is approx 250km due south of Shanghai, and approx 200km south east of Hangzhou. For more info see my

May 2017 post, a couple of weeks after the 2017 Shanghai game and 2 stories from The Australian
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-252#post-50494140

and this post in July 2017 after an extensive Landline story on the Free Trade Zone and Rinehart's live export trade ambitions. You have to open up the quote box to get the full story.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-267#post-51121183

So taking the Power Footy Programs to the 55m people province of Zhejiang makes a lot of business sense. Will this result in any significant sponsorship that sees $$$ flows to the club in Oz?? I can't tell from the club's article. But it continues to build up business partnerships and relationships in a key part of China, where Mr Gui via S. Kidman & Co will have long term business links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back