Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I had no idea why Nepal is #4 place students come from. Found out why

https://www.austrade.gov.au/News/Ec...ad-growth-in-student-visa-grants-january-2018
  • Nepal’s growth rate decreased to 30.9 per cent from 75 per cent last year, but is still among the fastest growing markets. Demand has increased in recent years due to factors including an increase in the population of under 25 year olds, lack of postgraduate options in Nepal and promotion of Australia by agents in market (ICEF Monitor). Nepal’s share of the overall increase in student visa grants remains stable at 23 per cent driven by increases in VET and Higher Education.
  • Nepal grants increased by 30.9 per cent to 12,325. Grants for VET courses more than doubled while higher education grants increased by 15.8 per cent.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...ies-despite-jobs-squeeze-20180301-p4z2bd.html
Over the past 10 years, Nepal has grown exponentially as a source of international students, initially spurred by the decade-long Maoist insurgency and subsequent word of mouth. Nepalese media have identified Sydney's Victoria University and Western Sydney University as major destinations for Nepalese students, and Auburn has become Sydney's hub for Nepalese-speakers.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What is concerning about this whole poor language and poor engagement stuff is that the Uni and education sector in general as well as the fed and state governments, are oblivious to the long term damage its doing to the reputation of our education institutions and therefore Australia.

If you have a huge number of students who pay $80k to $100k just for tuition and their degree becomes useless because they are passing them to keep the "customers happy" and make sure that word of mouth in the home country isn't that there is a high fail rate at this Uni, ( the Woolongong academic complained about being pressured to have certain pass rates), it devalues the degree of everyone who attends the Uni, as well as the whole Alumnus' degrees. It affects a lot more than the individual students.

But because education is the 3rd largest earner of foreign income for Oz, behind Iron Ore and Coal, and a big gap to Tourism and other mineral exports, the government just encourages the Uni's to max out their number of foreign students. And the Uni's have become addicted to their tuition fees and can't adequately function without this income stream.

It's why I hope what Port and Adelaide Uni are doing can become a niche program to start, to help iron out some of these issues. We have the right intentions about trying to improve the cultural experience and make sure they aren't just ATM's for the Uni, but the Uni has to make a commitment to upholding the language standards and assist students to improve their language skills. This has to be done at both individual lecturer and tutor level but also mainly at the institution level.
Agree 100% but quality lecturing/tutoring is very time consuming and the good ones are already being squeezed big time. The continual conflict between teaching and bringing in research income is counter productive to quality teaching. International students with inadequate English language skills should spend a year getting their English up to standard then commence their degrees.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Historically off topic but related to overseas students.
When I was growing up in Perth through the 70`s etc and earlier we had heaps of Students from Singapore come down for further education, because that country at that time was in full development mode from a low base.
This situation continued for many years and could be summed up when the Singapore PM was interviewed recently on Perth TV .
He clearly stated that those same students some now into their later years have had a big influence on the Governing of that country and have filtered through to all levels of the Govt.
He also said the goodwill generated towards Australia by those students is palpable.
In fact just stand and observe the departure/arrival flights to Singapore each day at Perth Airport and see the hundreds of Singaporeans coming and going.
So overseas students when they return to their home countries if handled correctly can produce the "Singapore Effect."

Historically off topic but related to overseas students.
When I was growing up in Perth through the 70`s etc and earlier we had heaps of Students from Singapore come down for further education, because that country at that time was in full development mode from a low base.
This situation continued for many years and could be summed up when the Singapore PM was interviewed recently on Perth TV .
He clearly stated that those same students some now into their later years have had a big influence on the Governing of that country and have filtered through to all levels of the Govt.
He also said the goodwill generated towards Australia by those students is palpable.
In fact just stand and observe the departure/arrival flights to Singapore each day at Perth Airport and see the hundreds of Singaporeans coming and going.
So overseas students when they return to their home countries if handled correctly can produce the "Singapore Effect."
My mate the Airport Economist wrote about this Singapore effect in his first and self titled book.

The year ahead of us studying economics at Adelaide Uni had about a dozen very bright students from Singapore. My mate stayed at the same Uni residential college as them. Many of them had been slotted to go to Oxford and Cambridge to study maths, physics, science and medicine. But the Singapore government wanted to improve its technical knowledge in its treasury department so it sent them all to Adelaide to study economics. All graduated with first class honours, my mate was friendly with them and they tutored him in the mathematically rigorous economic modelling subjects and when he was chief economist at Austrade, he would go visit them in their senior positions at Singapore Treasury and at the Monetary Authority of Singapore and it opened some doors for Australian exporters as well.

I'm pretty sure they were part of the Colombo Plan that started in the 1950's and went for the next 40 years or so, where students from developing Commonwealth countries would go study in the more advanced Commonwealth countries like UK, Canada, Oz, NZ etc.

The most famous of this group was Raymond Lim who ended up working as Minister assisting the Singapore PM for a couple of years and then was Transport Minister. A few of those other economists ended up working on the Singapore - Australia Free Trade Agreement.

Last edited:
Here’s one for you REH. What odds that all PAFC personnel flying to Shanghai at end of May 2019 will be doing so aboard Singapore Airlines?

Here’s one for you REH. What odds that all PAFC personnel flying to Shanghai at end of May 2019 will be doing so aboard Singapore Airlines?
s**t I thought the Cathay Pacific deal had all this year to run. So are you telling me we lose Damien McDowell to Collingwood and we wont get a renewed contract with Cathay Pacific???

That GM Commercial and GM Commercial China gets more important everyday.

s**t I thought the Cathay Pacific deal had all this year to run. So are you telling me we lose Damien McDowell to Collingwood and we wont get a renewed contract with Cathay Pacific???

That GM Commercial and GM Commercial China gets more important everyday.
It’s not up to me to tell you or anyone else anything. It’s up to the Club’s Communications Division (yet to be set up) to do the telling, setting the pace in advance, controlling the message.
Cathay Pacific is in deep s**t thanks to the massive hacking strike that has brought down customer faith and commitment, sent the airline deeply into the red, and set in motion the emergency elimination of their lower end partnerships, one of which is/was us renewable annually.
It opens the door to Singapore Airlines, to whom the Club has lost no time making overtures.

It’s not up to me to tell you or anyone else anything. It’s up to the Club’s Communications Division (yet to be set up) to do the telling, setting the pace in advance, controlling the message.
Cathay Pacific is in deep s**t thanks to the massive hacking strike that has brought down customer faith and commitment, sent the airline deeply into the red, and set in motion the emergency elimination of their lower end partnerships, one of which is/was us renewable annually.
It opens the door to Singapore Airlines, to whom the Club has lost no time making overtures.
You learn something new every day. I was aware they got hacked but had no idea about their financial difficulties as a result of the issue.

Just finished watching this on SBS - The Coming War on China- a classic John Pilger provocative doco from 2015. Full doco thanks to someone who taped it off Russia Today.

This is the best bit - Yanks on the east coast got rich on forced selling opium to China thru "concessions" like Shanghai and Hong Kong. He spoke to author James Bradley who had just published his new book;

James Bradley introduces us to the prominent Americans--including FDR's grandfather, Warren Delano--who in the 1800s made their fortunes in the China opium trade. Meanwhile, American missionaries sought a myth: noble Chinese peasants eager to Westernize.

The media propagated this mirage, and FDR believed that supporting Chiang Kai-shek would make China America's best friend in Asia. But Chiang was on his way out and when Mao Zedong instead came to power, Americans were shocked, wondering how we had "lost China."

From the 1850s to the origins of the Vietnam War, Bradley reveals how American misconceptions about China have distorted our policies and led to the avoidable deaths of millions. The China Mirage dynamically explores the troubled history that still defines U.S.-Chinese relations today.

51HZSaAMvoL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The short version by James Bradley about opium trade

The full version

Chinese rushed to USA in 1849 to California gold rush near San Francisco and were more efficient and skilled miners than yanks - which pissed them off. The Chinese came to Oz in early 1850's to mine egold around Ballarat and Bendigo and and were more efficient and skilled miners than Aussies - which pissed them off. New laws were passed in each countries to restrict Chinese working in the gold fields.

Chinese were drafted in to build the transcontinental railway thru the hard granite of Sierra Nevada mountain range. The white Europeans couldn't hack it. We didn't bring in the Chinese to build our railways. The Chinese bought private and government bonds that were issued to build and then run these railways. We missed out on this foreign capital from China.

In 1882 the yanks introduced the Chinese Exclusion Act excluding Chinese migration just as the statute of liberty was being built and with the inscription of “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, .............
provided they aren't Chinese. Chinese Exclusion Act wasn't repealed until 1952 with full non biased immigration policy enacted until 1965 as part of LBJ's reforms.

In Australia in 1888 a ship called the Afghan was sailing from China to Australia with Europeans as well as majority Chinese, many were ex diggers from the Vic gold fields. The Vic government for some reason decided to refuse entry to the ship. So it headed North to Sydney. telgrams were being sent from London as UK had a free trade agreement with the Chinese. Originally NSW premier Henry Parkes was going to let them in, but he was lobbied strongly and he blocked the ships entry to Port Jackson. It was the effective start of the White Australia Policy which didn't officially start until we became a nation in 1901 and one of the first pieces of legislation passed was The Immigration Restriction Act 1901. Stopping the Afghan was basically the turning point from a dominate 50 years to a new 50 year downward cycle that ended with the end of WWII.

Hopefully we no longer blindly follow the yanks in dealings with the Chinese over the next 20 years or so. After that who knows what will happen.

Who dumped whom?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/a5e540597ff6fded9b1a1301af9d7637

We look at eight reasons why Gold Coast (sic)

Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
December 28, 2018 1:16pm

NO CHINA
The trek to China to play a home-and-away game against Port Adelaide the past two years might have been good for the Gold Coast coffers and even the region’s tourism but it has not been good for the team’s on-field prospects. The Suns lost their first game in Shanghai by 72 points in 2017 and went on to suffer a 40-point loss to the Power at the same venue last season. The next game after the China trip also hasn’t been pretty, the Suns losing heavily on both occasions including to Geelong by 85 points in 2018. However, the club has dumped the Shanghai game for 2019, giving it one less thing to worry about.

View attachment 600506View attachment 600506
Couldn’t see the bloke this street is named after anywhere...
This is part of a famous location in PAFC history. The photo has been taken on the corner of Lockhart and Luard, looking south. On the other side of Lockhart you see a green and red signage reading ‘Chili Club’. It is on the first floor, you can see the corner windows. It was in the Chili Club after the 2013 Grand Final that the Great Man plus Mr and Mrs Road had the first exchange of views re bringing PAFC to Hong Kong and China. It was The Great Man’s glowing report on his return to Alberton that motivated Koch enough to bring the Board to the Hong Kong Football Club in May 2014.
And, speaking of the HKFC, it was Sir James Haldane Stewart Lockhart who founded the institution in 1886.
Lockhart Road was named after him in the late 1920s when the street grid on the Wanchai Reclamation was completed.

Handyandy

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2005
Jinhua, Zhejiang, China
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Thought I'd transfer from the sponsorship discussion thread some of the stuff about the new Jincheng educational partnership that is backing up Power Footy Study Tours program

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...elaides-game-changing-educational-partnership

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...elaides-game-changing-educational-partnership

We announced we were taking the Power Footy Program to the province of Zhejiang in this story in August this year. I posted in the China thread the following from an Advertiser story.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-350#post-57520207

We got a $60k grant from DFAT and I posted their media release here, re the Sichuan province Power Footy Program getting that $60k. Zhejiang program didn't get a grant.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-357#post-58692867

The club in August released this story, which the Advertiser based its story on.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-24/ports-power-footy-expansion

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-24/ports-power-footy-expansion

At the time I wondered who this was and when they would be revealed. Maybe it is the Jincheng Holding Group or their Entel Education Group subsidiary.

I also wondered at the time if we just went to Zhejiang province because it is the province next to Shanghai ( which is its own municipal level of government equal to a province). Or because its capital is Hangzhou about 180km SW of Shanghai another 10m people city with the greater metro area holding 21m people, meant it would be easy to take the Power Footy Programs to a relatively close city, less than an hour on those fast trains. Or was it because Alibaba is based in Hangzhou. Or are we chasing another Chinese company based there??

Anway when I did a search for the article above, I found 2 posts that I made that maybe relevant to why Zhejiang province. Gina Reinhart and S. Kidman & Co have signed an agreement with a consortium lead by the Chinese New Hope Group, (who are planning to invest $1bil in Oz agriculture), who will build a new feedlot, quarantine and meat-processing facilities in the specially-approved Free Trade Zone for Australian agriculture and food exports to China on the Zhejiang province's Jintang Island near Zhoushan, which is approx 250km due south of Shanghai, and approx 200km south east of Hangzhou. For more info see my

May 2017 post, a couple of weeks after the 2017 Shanghai game and 2 stories from The Australian
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-252#post-50494140

and this post in July 2017 after an extensive Landline story on the Free Trade Zone and Rinehart's live export trade ambitions. You have to open up the quote box to get the full story.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-267#post-51121183

So taking the Power Footy Programs to the 55m people province of Zhejiang makes a lot of business sense. Will this result in any significant sponsorship that sees $$$ flows to the club in Oz?? I can't tell from the club's article. But it continues to build up business partnerships and relationships in a key part of China, where Mr Gui via S. Kidman & Co will have long term business links.
Zhejiang is the wealthiest province in China, home of many of China's largest international companies and is China's industrial heartland. In Yiwu I noted every 2nd car was a lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley etc and I was told there are more luxury cars in yiwu than all of au and that in yiwu a lambo means nothing, if you are really rich you will have a Lear jet with a foreign pilot. The newly acquired wealth is astonishing. We felt like peasants driving around in a brand new Mazda 3, watch the movie filthy rich Asians for an example. I can see why the dumb ass yanks are getting jealous and itching for a war. China are beating them at their own game, capitalism, and will soon surpass USA as the worlds largest economy.
There are numerous large wealthy international cities in this province and it is also the home to China's Hollywood. So I can see why port chose zhejiang, the same province my wife is from. But it will be very difficult sell. Chinese people seem to follow epl & NBA only. Even then they are more likely to follow an individual star like wingard or lebron from team to team. And Chinese people DO NOT worship athletes like in the west, in fact people view athletes as being too stupid to pursue a proper career. Just the other day I was reading about a gold medal gymnast begging on the streets, in au a gold medalist would be set for life.
Having said that though I have been surprised to meet many Chinese who know about afl. Just the other day a taxi driver knew I was from au Adelaide and asked if I followed port or the crows. Wtf, I told him the crows were tongxinglian. Turned out his daughter studied in Melbourne and he had visited au. That made sense and was the case in almost every instance, eg they knew Ozzie rules from visiting au at some stage. This is the only way I can see afl taking a small foothold in china or if by some miracle we can unearth a Chinese star. Out of over a billion people there should be 1000's of Gary Abletts and warren treadreas.
Anyways I find most people build an image in their mind of a certain place based on what they have heard and seen on tv generally, I did the same before I came to China and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I have lived in the USA too and I feel a thousand times safer in China and I feel the same about the 2 countries politically.

http://gbcode.rthk.hk/TuniS/news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1436469-20190104.htm

This just made my day. Somebody please tell Koch.

How laughably ironic.

Somebody tell Gillon, too. He’s aiming to hold an AFL-X tournament in Hong Kong asap and is having checked out for education purposes the running of the International Rugby Sevens which is off to Kai Tak Sports Park.

Revamped Hong Kong Stadium to shrink its capacity
The government will scale down the capacity of the Hong Kong Stadium to around 9,000 seats from its current 40,000, saying it expects all major events to move to the planned Kai Tak sports park.

Edit: South China Morning Post update: https://sc.mp/xpr6x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back