Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will just be some sort of joint game launch to get St Kilda fans interested. Might also have a sponsorship announcement but it will be for the game not Port.

1553223879618.jpeg
http://www.acbc.com.au/news-details_292

18 March 2019

MEDIA RELEASE

AFL China Match Launch Event at Government House Friday 22 March 2019

The Hon. Linda Dessau AC, Governor of Victoria, Victorian Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade, Hon Martin Pakula, ACBC National President, Hon John Brumby AO and AFL CEO, Gil McLachlan will launch the AFL China match at Victorian Government House on Friday 22 March.

The third AFL China match will be played on Sunday 2 June at Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai, renamed Adelaide Arena for the AFL match. The 2019 match will be contested by Port Adelaide and St Kilda. Some 11,000 fans are expected to attend, and more than 4 million viewers will tune in to watch the broadcast which will make it the most viewed AFL game in history. The 2018 Grand Final attracted an estimated 3.5 million viewers. Further details about the AFL China match are available here: https://shanghai2019.com.au/

In attendance at the launch event will be representatives from both clubs including PAFC President David Koch, PAFC CEO Keith Thomas, St Kilda President Andrew Bassatt, St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis as well as AFL Commissioners and executives, the Chinese Consulate, key stakeholders and sponsors. Players from both clubs will also be in attendance with children from community football clubs.

The Australia China Business Council is proud to continue supporting its members, the AFL, PAFC and St Kilda as they continue their China engagement. ACBC has continuously supported the important role which sports diplomacy plays in strengthening bilateral relations and creating significant trade and investment opportunities.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...a/news-story/a9485f4ef5fa1f979ee6a1d49f89b373

Port Adelaide to make profit on Shanghai game, but club boss David Koch already counting big gains in China

Michelangelo Rucci, Melbourne, The Advertiser
17 minutes ago
Port Adelaide expects to make its first profit — as much as $500,000 — from its annual Shanghai game that takes up Victorian opponent St Kilda for its third instalment on June 2.

But Power president David Koch says the more critical figure to note from the AFL club’s “China Strategy” is the $6 million it is contributing to Port Adelaide’s revenue streams.

This accounts for 10 per cent of the club’s total revenue — seven years after the Port Adelaide Football Club almost lost its AFL licence for having an unsustainable business model.

“We’ve made it to base camp (as a sustainable football club) with three years of hard work (in China),” Koch told The Advertiser at the launch of the Shanghai game at Government House in Melbourne.

We’ve built revenue streams (in China) that are not dependant on on-field performances. We’ve given the club a sustainable business model. And we have done it in a way that can set up the club for a generation.”
[IMG='width:677px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/dcbb0685999c9b483023d9973c3f6e5b?width=1024[/IMG]

Travis Boak celebrates with fans after the Power beat Gold Coast in the historic first AFL match in China in 2017. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Media

The cynicism attached with Port Adelaide taking Australian football to China was smashed away by AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan saying: “The opportunities in China are now greater than the risk.”

Koch on Friday did admit he has had to convince not only the AFL but also some in his board room at Alberton of the pay-off to come from China where the Power has played Gold Coast in the past two years — and done no better than break even on the costs of putting on an AFL premiership match in Shanghai.

“I’ve had to comfort people at Port Adelaide — not just the AFL — on the risk associated with going to China,” Koch said. “The game is expensive, very expensive. And we know Australian football will not become a major sport in China. We’re not stupid, we understand that.
“But this is an enormous opportunity for our club — and the benefits go well beyond the money made on game day. The commercial partners we are finding away from the Shanghai match will do more than make our club sustainable.”

Poster’s comment: ‘Prove it. Underperformance though this is - prove it.’

Last edited:

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/kicking-goals-in-china-and-boosting-jobs-in-victoria/

The Andrews Labor Government is continuing its push to win a bigger share of the $US300 billion Chinese sports industry, with a major trade mission officially launched today.

Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade Martin Pakula announced the major trade mission today at the AFL 2019 China Game launch, set to take place on 2 June in Shanghai between St Kilda and Port Adelaide.

The mission will showcase Victoria’s sports industry and lifestyle offering to China-based partners and potential investors.

With the global sports industry valued at more than $1 trillion per annum and growing faster than global GDP, Victoria’s globally competitive companies are well placed to meet the demands of the booming sector.

A five-year national plan is underway in China to build thousands of new sporting facilities and to develop innovative sports technologies.

China’s fast-growing sports sector, which is tipped to reach more than $800 billion by 2025, presents real opportunities for Victorian expertise and capability in all stages of the major sporting event life cycle.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade Pakula

“I’m thrilled to be one of the 11,000 fans expected in Shanghai to watch the Saints take on Port, and look forward to showcasing Victoria’s sporting capabilities to China as part of the trade mission.”

“Our sports sector supports more than 65,000 full-time jobs across the state and is a globally competitive player in sport technology, science and infrastructure.”

“We’re creating more jobs and opportunities within the sports sector by facilitating their entry into major international markets like China.”

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/kicking-goals-in-china-and-boosting-jobs-in-victoria/

The Andrews Labor Government is continuing its push to win a bigger share of the $US300 billion Chinese sports industry, with a major trade mission officially launched today.

Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade Martin Pakula announced the major trade mission today at the AFL 2019 China Game launch, set to take place on 2 June in Shanghai between St Kilda and Port Adelaide.

The mission will showcase Victoria’s sports industry and lifestyle offering to China-based partners and potential investors.

With the global sports industry valued at more than $1 trillion per annum and growing faster than global GDP, Victoria’s globally competitive companies are well placed to meet the demands of the booming sector.

A five-year national plan is underway in China to build thousands of new sporting facilities and to develop innovative sports technologies.

China’s fast-growing sports sector, which is tipped to reach more than $800 billion by 2025, presents real opportunities for Victorian expertise and capability in all stages of the major sporting event life cycle.

“I’m thrilled to be one of the 11,000 fans expected in Shanghai to watch the Saints take on Port, and look forward to showcasing Victoria’s sporting capabilities to China as part of the trade mission.”

“Our sports sector supports more than 65,000 full-time jobs across the state and is a globally competitive player in sport technology, science and infrastructure.”

“We’re creating more jobs and opportunities within the sports sector by facilitating their entry into major international markets like China.”

Interesting. Thanks for posting L.R.

Governor of Victoria and former AFL Commissioner and Family Court Judge Linda Dessau gaves us a shout out on her official twitter account.

Great photo. I hope these smiling young girls support Port rather just modelling the jumper, eating a pie and talking to the Governor.

1553229209745.png

Governor of Victoria and former AFL Commissioner and Family Court Judge Linda Dessau gaves us a shout out on her official twitter account.

Great photo. I hope these smiling young girls support Port rather just modelling the jumper, eating a pie and talking to the Governor.

View attachment 639398

These girls would be the two lucky ones selected from the Power Footy Programme in China.
Good to see Hayes and Lienert being made to feel useful as Club ambassadors.

These girls would be the two lucky ones selected from the Power Footy Programme in China.
Good to see Hayes and Lienert being made to feel useful as Club ambassadors.
Is KT to the left of Lienert throwing the footy up and obscured by the man with the blue tie?? No Koch in the photo.

Is KT to the left of Lienert throwing the footy up and obscured by the man with the blue tie?? No Koch in the photo.

After Koche's recent events I'm not sure of his currency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...a/news-story/a9485f4ef5fa1f979ee6a1d49f89b373

Port Adelaide to make profit on Shanghai game, but club boss David Koch already counting big gains in China

Michelangelo Rucci, Melbourne, The Advertiser
17 minutes ago
Port Adelaide expects to make its first profit — as much as $500,000 — from its annual Shanghai game that takes up Victorian opponent St Kilda for its third instalment on June 2.

But Power president David Koch says the more critical figure to note from the AFL club’s “China Strategy” is the $6 million it is contributing to Port Adelaide’s revenue streams.

This accounts for 10 per cent of the club’s total revenue — seven years after the Port Adelaide Football Club almost lost its AFL licence for having an unsustainable business model.

“We’ve made it to base camp (as a sustainable football club) with three years of hard work (in China),” Koch told The Advertiser at the launch of the Shanghai game at Government House in Melbourne.

We’ve built revenue streams (in China) that are not dependant on on-field performances. We’ve given the club a sustainable business model. And we have done it in a way that can set up the club for a generation.”
[IMG='width:677px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/dcbb0685999c9b483023d9973c3f6e5b?width=1024[/IMG]

Travis Boak celebrates with fans after the Power beat Gold Coast in the historic first AFL match in China in 2017. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Media

The cynicism attached with Port Adelaide taking Australian football to China was smashed away by AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan saying: “The opportunities in China are now greater than the risk.”

Koch on Friday did admit he has had to convince not only the AFL but also some in his board room at Alberton of the pay-off to come from China where the Power has played Gold Coast in the past two years — and done no better than break even on the costs of putting on an AFL premiership match in Shanghai.

“I’ve had to comfort people at Port Adelaide — not just the AFL — on the risk associated with going to China,” Koch said. “The game is expensive, very expensive. And we know Australian football will not become a major sport in China. We’re not stupid, we understand that.
“But this is an enormous opportunity for our club — and the benefits go well beyond the money made on game day. The commercial partners we are finding away from the Shanghai match will do more than make our club sustainable.”

Poster’s comment: ‘Prove it. Underperformance though this is - prove it.’
So who on the board did Koch have to convince I wonder?

If we're not investing any capital beyond making introductions, a 5% commission seems entirely reasonable to me.
There you go with a can’t win attitude. You should apply to join the Club board. You’d fit right in.
If we’re not investing time, effort and expertise, i.e. capital in kind, it won’t work. We have to maintain attention on the business or it won’t work. How do we do that from faraway Alberton? If we employ staff in China which we don’t they have to be managed. If you think we can make a success of this on just a crummy spotter’s fee of 5 per cent, then walk away and live off putting that money in the bank, you’re dreaming. As soon as you walk away from a business introduction, it dies, or you’re cut out. To maintain that business you have to start at 10% minimum and include extra ongoing incentive by increasing that step by step to at least 20% by over-achieving on KPIs.
If as you say we’re justified being an AFL club in a foreign land wandering around ‘making introductions’ for 5%, no more no less, no wonder the China Strategy is failing.
The people happily involved in doing that have better things to do with their time, or shouldn’t be employed in the first place.
When some inadequate deal is announced it’s spun as something brilliant, then we hear nothing more about it. If you hear nothing about something, it means nothing is happening.
We are being played for fools by people who have their own personal agendas.
Yes, it’s as bad as that.
But what do I know?

View attachment 639398

Hopefully having a Melbourne opponent will reap us some more benefits.

So who on the board did Koch have to convince I wonder?
George Fiacchi. That’s why he’s gone. Too dangerous. He was the only one who stayed awake through five hours of rambling ... then asked a question.

“Mummy come quick look at this Kochie’s talking bullshit again!”
“Bella, don’t talk like that. You should say ‘Mister Koch’.”

1553235906494.jpeg

There you go with a can’t win attitude. You should apply to join the Club board. You’d fit right in.
If we’re not investing time, effort and expertise, i.e. capital in kind, it won’t work. We have to maintain attention on the business or it won’t work. How do we do that from faraway Alberton? If we employ staff in China which we don’t they have to be managed. If you think we can make a success of this on just a crummy spotter’s fee of 5 per cent, then walk away and live off putting that money in the bank, you’re dreaming. As soon as you walk away from a business introduction, it dies, or you’re cut out. To maintain that business you have to start at 10% minimum and include extra ongoing incentive by increasing that step by step to at least 20% by over-achieving on KPIs.
If as you say we’re justified being an AFL club in a foreign land wandering around ‘making introductions’ for 5%, no more no less, no wonder the China Strategy is failing.
The people happily involved in doing that have better things to do with their time, or shouldn’t be employed in the first place.
When some inadequate deal is announced it’s spun as something brilliant, then we hear nothing more about it. If you hear nothing about something, it means nothing is happening.
We are being played for fools by people who have their own personal agendas.
Yes, it’s as bad as that.
But what do I know?
Relax LR. I know you've been through a rough time recently but I'm not having a dig. My thinking comes entirely from a financial and negotiation perspective. Being able to get a better deal doesn't automatically make a deal bad, and in this instance, a I do believe a 5% commission is not a terrible financial outcome. Any money we've put into developing relationships in the past is sunk, and not relevant (financially) to this particular deal.

Relax LR. I know you've been through a rough time recently but I'm not having a dig. My thinking comes entirely from a financial and negotiation perspective. Being able to get a better deal doesn't automatically make a deal bad, and in this instance, a I do believe a 5% commission is not a terrible financial outcome. Any money we've put into developing relationships in the past is sunk, and not relevant (financially) to this particular deal.
Thanks, mate. You’re a good egg. I am now relaxed.

Great initiative by the Victorian Government and the St Kilda Football Club. Wonder why no one else thought of doing this?

Sarcasm aside it is good to see the opposition supporting our initiative and few people having a change of heart in Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back