Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realise that 15 million is dependant on the Libs winning the election, don't you? An election they will most likely lose massively?

I'll take the 5 million from Labor for our centre over the 15 million from the Liberals for Adelaide's centre any day of the week. The money from the government for the China game, however, is already committed.

I'm pretty sure the $15mil will be in the budget on Tuesday night, but it wont pass parliament as the government will call the election before it gets voted on.

Labor / Chris Bowen has said they will have a major economic statement if they win, in the 3rd quarter. You can only have one budget a year, so it will be called a mini budget or some other fancy name and will probably be the 2nd Tuesday of August which was the budget date before Keating changed it in 1994 from August to May.

I doubt whether Labor will re introduce the Liberal budget try and pass it and then do a mini budget adjusting the Libs budget.

So Bowen may, or may not, include the $15m in his mini budget.

I'm pretty sure the $15mil will be in the budget on Tuesday night, but it wont pass parliament as the government will call the election before it gets voted on.

Labor / Chris Bowen has said they will have a major economic statement if they win, in the 3rd quarter. You can only have one budget a year, so it will be called a mini budget or some other fancy name and will probably be the 2nd Tuesday of August which was the budget date before Keating changed it in 1994 from August to May.

I doubt whether Labor will re introduce the Liberal budget try and pass it and then do a mini budget adjusting the Libs budget.

We should be lobbying to have Labor increase their pledge from 5 million to 15 million.

God knows we have a pretty enthusiastic Labor Party link man working at executive level at the Club.

Edit: Make that 21 million. I overlooked the 6 million pledged to Thebarton (a million more than Labor has promised is earmarked for Alberton).

Last edited:
I’ve copied this, from the top class and very much appreciated work done by Boss351 on the Radio + Sound thread, because it’s particularly relevant to this thread.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/v...bermingham-press-conference-30-march-2019-ptv

Unfortunately or fortunately I now find it impossible to listen to Koch waffle but perhaps there are one or two others out there who find what he says worth listening to, and have the time to do so as he answers in 1,000 words what someone else would, informatively, put into 100.

Whilst the Club makes heavier going of its pursuit of China, our media operation has once again demonstrated a corresponding need for upping its game, and its etiquette awareness, by not only placing the name of the principal participant - the Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment - in second place behind Koch in the title (below) but also getting it wrong.
But then, it’s all about Chairman Moi, I guess.
And, yes, he did put down the Club’s ‘culture’ whilst making his own heavy going of a search for something to say that he thought might be funny. It wasn’t.

portadelaidefc.com.au
Mar 30, 2019 2:06PM

David Koch and Minister Simon Bermingham press conference " 30 March 2019| PTV

Koch reckons Rio Tinto, Santos and Australia Post are now partners of the China Strategy. Rio Tinto is on the sponsor page - Santos and Australia Post must be new because they aren’t up there yet.

The Festival of Australia being a two week event that surrounds the game in Shanghai is a replacement for Australia Week that was canned last year by the Chinese Government. Koch said “we” and then corrected himself to “I always had a dream to build this around trade and cultural exchange.” Pffft.

Koch reckons Rio Tinto, Santos and Australia Post are now partners of the China Strategy. Rio Tinto is on the sponsor page - Santos and Australia Post must be new because they aren’t up there yet.

The Festival of Australia being a two week event that surrounds the game in Shanghai is a replacement for Australia Week that was canned last year by the Chinese Government. Koch said “we” and then corrected himself to “I always had a dream to build this around trade and cultural exchange.” Pffft.
Rio Tinto appears on our China page as one of the Shanghai 2019 partners, Australia Post was one last year and thus maybe will be one again.
Santos is a PCL partner along with GFG, Naval Group, EnergyAustralia, Statewide Super and others including Rob Chapman at Adelaide Airport.

PCL is something the Club does properly. It takes a particular skill and passion, and requires particularly capable people ... like Paul Vandenbergh and Ross Wait. They do their job quietly, effectively, they sneak up on you and amaze you with what they have already done; they don’t talk big, take all the credit, then let you down and send you away shaking your head.
1554076577353.jpeg

Might be worth a read of all of this SMH article from end of January before you go to the lunch. The full launch of original 8 teams which now might be 10. has been delayed until next year and this year is a modified comp of only 5 teams. Originally it was going to be a full rebel comp but now Oz an NZ Rugby are getting behind it.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...by-competition-postponed-20190131-p50uqt.html
The delay will also tie in better with the interests of Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby, both of whom had told Forrest they would not sanction more teams in their territories until next year. Both unions have changed their tunes on the competition since the early days of suspicion and mistrust. RA now sees Rapid Rugby as capable of doing important market development work in Asia that the union itself cannot afford to undertake. Whether fans will keep faith with the concept is another matter, but Hodgson said a travelling 'Showcase Series' planned for this year would demonstrate the potential of the product when all the entrants have solid bases behind them.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...by-competition-postponed-20190131-p50uqt.html

Now this is the sort of foresight and courage the club and AFL need to take the game to the international stage.

Rapid Rugby head of rugby Matt Hodgson will continue to work with marquee players around 2019 and 2020. "Like me, the players and teams were ready to go but I am confident the 2019 series will be a great demonstration of what a full season of increased ball-in-play time, attacking, aggressive, high scoring rugby will look like."

Forrest was upbeat despite the call, saying he always knew organising 60 games of rugby in eight international territories in just 15 weeks was going to be a tough ask.
Good comments REB about the Rugby World.
The AFL has neither the will or interest to grow International Footy overall at this time. They prefer the Demitriou model introduced when he was AFL boss of let the individual Clubs do it and see how they go THEN we may join in.
It is all rather weird that the International game is growing at all but it is despite all of the obstacles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know if anyone else has experienced this, but my Visa app was sent back as my photos were not meeting Chinese requirements.

These were my passport photos from 3 months ago, but new criteria have been introduced by Chinese immigration, and 5 out of 8 of our group have had them declined.

Issues are around head and shoulder size (height) within the photo, some pretty exacting standards. My issue was the height to the top of the frame, apparently

Getting photos retaken tomorrow, specs below:

• Current – taken within the last six months against an all-white background and printed on high-quality photo paper
  • Hair must be tucked behind the ears (no fringe covering the eyebrows)
  • Headwear is not permitted except for religious purposes
  • Jewellery, including earrings, studs or necklaces are not permitted
  • Glasses of any kind are not permitted
  • Facial expression must be neutral - eyes open, mouth closed and ears visible
  • White shirts are not permitted
  • Size 33mm (width) by 48mm (height)
  • Head width must be between 15mm and 22mm
  • Head height must be between 28mm and 33mm, measured from the base of the chin to the top of the head
  • The space between the top of your head and the upper edge of the photo must be between 3mm and 5mm
  • Full frontal view of your head and shoulders – face must be centered in the photo with all the features clearly visible with natural skin tone

Australia Post sponsor my mate the Airport Economist's TV programs, that Koch's Pinstripe Media produce and is always pushing that small exporters can go talk to them to export small packages by airfreight especially when he gave advice on Kochies Business Builders program to individuals about exporting. They are one of several who get featured on the shows.
http://www.theairporteconomist.com/partners/

Why hasn't Blackmores come back on board. They have fixed up their issues and Baby Formula to China is booming again and are another sponsor.

Pinstripe Media do a lot of work for Australia Post
https://www.pinstripemedia.com.au/case-study/australia-post/

Not sure how SANTOS gets tied up with China.

Rio Tinto appears on our China page as one of the Shanghai 2019 partners, Australia Post was one last year and thus maybe will be one again.
Santos is a PCL partner along with GFG, Naval Group, EnergyAustralia, Statewide Super and others including Rob Chapman at Adelaide Airport.

PCL is something the Club does properly. It takes a particular skill and passion, and requires particularly capable people ... like Paul Vandenbergh and Ross Wait. They do their job quietly, effectively, they sneak up on you and amaze you with what they have already done; they don’t talk big, take all the credit, then let you down and send you away shaking your head.
View attachment 646112

Looks like the Australian Wine and Grape industry is getting behind the game if the association presser is to go by. So they should, given 40% of the export $$ value goes to China. 2nd last paragraph has a list of events on during the Festival of Australia, which seems to have grown.

https://winetitles.com.au/australian-food-wine-and-afl-a-winning-combination-for-china/
Australian Grape and Wine Inc (Australian Grape & Wine) chief executive, Tony Battaglene today welcomed the announcement by the Australian Government to build a ‘Festival of Australia’ around the third Australian Football League (AFL) premiership game in Shanghai, between Port Adelaide and St Kilda, on 2 June 2019.
The announcement by Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Simon Birmingham will enable Australian businesses to showcase their produce first-hand to the growing China market under a new joint initiative between Austrade, the AFL and the Port Adelaide Football Club, to be launched ahead of the upcoming AFL premiership game in Shanghai.

In 2018, Australian wine producers exported $2.82 billion worth of product to the world. 40% ($1.14 billion) was sold to China alone – an increase of 18% from the previous year – demonstrating Chinese consumers’ increasing love of Australian wine. “This is a strategic opportunity to strengthen Australia’s trade relationship with China by supporting and elevating the sporting, cultural, trade and investment activities that are already coalescing around the AFL game in Shanghai. Australian Grape & Wine will be ensuring there is every opportunity for grape and wine producers to participate in the Festival, this year and beyond”, said Battaglene.

“The annual AFL game has quickly become a catalyst for activity, exchange, and business. The true strength of this undertaking from the perspective of the business community is the opportunity to build stronger connections with Chinese business partners and investors in the margins of the game. These networking opportunities will increase connectivity between Australian and Chinese businesses and consumers and we believe it will become an important annual event in the business calendar”.

Highlights include Wine Australia masterclasses, a Tmall Global online promotion, the annual Australia-China Business Awards Dinner, consumer and alumni competitions, business delegations promoting sports technology asset management and aged care, and Australian photography exhibitions, Indigenous music performances and film screenings, culminating in the AFL game on 2 June.

“Just like the great game of Australian Rules Football, quality Australian wine and food brings people together, across cultures and backgrounds. We are thrilled to have an opportunity to help build and strengthen Australia’s business, commercial and cultural connections with China”, said Battaglene.

https://winetitles.com.au/australian-food-wine-and-afl-a-winning-combination-for-china/

How is relationship with the rest of the China Advisory Board going after your dismissal, Lockhart Road? I imagine you all would still talk with one another.
Meeting with my colleague tomorrow. Only two of us left. Will report subsequently. Thanks for asking.

We should be lobbying to have Labor increase their pledge from 5 million to 15 million.

God knows we have a pretty enthusiastic Labor Party link man working at executive level at the Club.

Edit: Make that 21 million. I overlooked the 6 million pledged to Thebarton (a million more than Labor has promised is earmarked for Alberton).

It's a promise not locked in expenditure. Was reading thru Budget Paper No. 1 to try and understand the tax cuts, well actually $550 increase in the low and middle income tax offset up from $530 to $1,080 maximum. Then looked at Budget Paper No. 2 - Budget Measures which lists the new revenue and expenditure over the next 4 years announced by the government. Was looking at the infrastructure measures stuff, when I thought of the crows development of the North Adelaide Aquatic Centre and tried to find it. I couldn't but I found these ones for 3 other AFL clubs and the North Queensland Cowboys so looks like its an election promise.

From page 126, Part 2 Expenditure Measures - Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities of Budget Paper No. 2;

https://www.budget.gov.au/2019-20/content/bp2/download/bp2.pdf
1554199298736.png

I think this is the reason why it is only a promise. It's just an idea and hasn't been fully developed. From Fagan's statement - https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-03-30/ceo-statement

“The masterplan when developed will also include dedicated resources to deliver a range of programs focused on improving opportunities for Indigenous youth across the pillars of education, employment, health and lifestyle. “In recent weeks, we have spoken to the City of Adelaide about commencing the masterplan process and we will work closely with the Council and all other relevant community stakeholders while we complete this work during 2019. “We are only in the very early stages and there is a great deal to work through in terms of planning and sourcing further funding, but this is an incredibly important step, and we appreciate the support of the Federal Government.”

Was looking for this the Adelaide City Infrastructure stuff and the space agency stuff
Page 123
1554199525263.png

Page 121
1554199833604.png

Also went looking for the Naval expenditure measure involved with the subs and frigates at Osborne, which all ties in with the development of the Port and Lefevre Peninsula, but only got this in Part 3 the Capital Measures on page 184
1554200053949.png

Last edited:
Lockhart Road you might be interested in this Budget Measure. Its under Revenue Measures but its negative as customs duty is going to be reduced. A free trade agreement was signed last week between Oz and HK

I wonder if Andrew Hunter and others at the club are aware of it and factor it into their efforts of trying to link up Oz exporters and getting a commission. From page 5

1554201098273.png

Trying to wind up for the Shanghai game. The tweet below form Birmingham pushing Festival of Oz week and 90 minutes ago got an email from the club with these graphics.

1554348439033.png
1554348455624.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back