Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
7D5DD02D-4708-40CD-A44C-15F7BF63B534.jpeg

It's on the Shanghai2019 website, that's why you couldn't find it :)
Thanks.

I remember Bupa icons across and down and that Penfolds and the wine/grape industry were getting behind China.

Heh heh heh. Very good Janus

Great timing.

Kennedy, of course, whoever they are, come from the AFL.

I see very few substantial names - other than Mr. Gui - that the Club can claim credit for.

Lot of executives being paid market salary and benefits and visibly producing very little.

On page 374 I took a snapshot of the club's website under china partners link and it had the following logos of sponsors up and I talked about Penfolds and how they had announced a record interim profit just a few weeks earlier driven by China. See

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-374#post-60063171

1557227413955.png

The next post I put up this snapshot from Web Archive from our China partners page from 6th March

1557227597976.png

So we have added a few more since 29 March, Australian Government, Australia Unlimited ie Austrade, and Kennedy.

Next level added Stehr Tuna, Coca Cola and Pirate Life. Have given prominent branding to 3 travel partners Tee lee, Phil Hoffman and RAA

On page 374 I took a snapshot of the club's website under china partners link and it had the following logos of sponsors up and I talked about Penfolds and how they had announced a record interim profit just a few weeks earlier driven by China. See

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-374#post-60063171

View attachment 669348

The next post I put up this snapshot from Web Archive from our China partners page from 6th March

View attachment 669351

So we have added a few more since 29 March, Australian Government, Australia Unlimited ie Austrade, and Kennedy.

Next level added Stehr Tuna, Coca Cola and Pirate Life. Have given prominent branding to 3 travel partners Tee lee, Phil Hoffman and RAA
Mate, we seem not to have a clue who our partners are.

We only know for sure that Eddie Everywhere ain’t one of ‘em.

Lockhart Road the Coca Cola one is interesting.

I wonder if that is Coca Cola Amatil or is part of the John Swire and Sons Ltd group? For those who don't know John Swire and Sons is the private company that holds a 55% shareholding in public company Swire Pacific limited in Hong Kong.This entity runs the Swire groups principal businesses in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore and elsewhere in Asia and owns 45% Cathay Pacific Airways and 82$% of another listed company Swire
Properties. From a fact sheet on John Swire and Sons Ltd I downloaded a few weeks ago.

https://www.swire.com/en/about/_fast-facts/fastfacts.pdf
SWIRE BEVERAGES
A strategic partner of The Coca-Cola
Company since the 1960s.
Swire Beverages has the exclusive right
to manufacture, market and distribute
products of The Coca-Cola Company
in 11 provinces and the Shanghai
Municipality in Mainland China, and in
Hong Kong, Taiwan and an extensive
area of the western USA.

Last edited:
Lockhart Road the Coca Cola one is interesting.

I wonder if that is Coca Cola Amatil or is part of the John Swire and Sons Ltd group? For those who don't know John Swire and Sons is the private company that holds a 55% shareholding in public company Swire Pacific limited in Hong Kong.This entity runs the Swire groups principal businesses in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore and elsewhere in Asia and owns 45% Cathay Pacific Airways and 82$% of another listed company Swire
Properties. From a fact sheet on John Swire and Sons Ltd I downloaded a few weeks ago.

SWIRE BEVERAGES
A strategic partner of The Coca-Cola
Company since the 1960s.
Swire Beverages has the exclusive right
to manufacture, market and distribute
products of The Coca-Cola Company
in 11 provinces and the Shanghai
Municipality in Mainland China, and in
Hong Kong, Taiwan and an extensive
area of the western USA.
Locally the producers of Coca Cola (Haw-yau Haw-lok) used to be called Hong Kong Bottlers ... a bottler of a name. Owned by Butterfield & Swire. They became Swire Bottlers.

When the stock market took off in 1972, when HK had four competing stock exchanges (read ‘Fire Horse’) the typical local money making sanity, as against insanity, started a trend towards what became IPOs and all the structures via JVs, shareholdings and names changed.

In HK / China the big names are and always have been Swire, Jardines, HSBC, Jockey Club ... then daylight ... HK Government.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
One thing I’ve never fully understood is why if we’re so committed to China we don’t put one of our home games on the line. I get SMA contracts etc. but it seems strange we have to do all the heavy lifting and promotion of an opposition club’s home game as well as pay them handsomely for the privilege and then fill the joint with our own fans. Do any of the Chinese business people we deal with smell any hypocrisy, i.e. we’re committed to a long term partnership but not, you know, to the point we’re we’d give anything up?

I think long suffering fans could also use a break from the regularly scheduled shitshow at AO. It’s not like the place is a fortress or has anything resembling a home ground advantage that we’re giving up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One thing I’ve never fully understood is why if we’re so committed to China we don’t put one of our home games on the line. I get SMA contracts etc. but it seems strange we have to do all the heavy lifting and promotion of an opposition club’s home game as well as pay them handsomely for the privilege and then fill the joint with our own fans. Do any of the Chinese business people we deal with smell any hypocrisy, i.e. we’re committed to a long term partnership but not, you know, to the point we’re we’d give anything up?

I think long suffering fans could also use a break from the regularly scheduled shitshow at AO. It’s not like the place is a fortress or has anything resembling a home ground advantage that we’re giving up.

You have answered your own question. The SMA won’t budge to help Port and we have a contract that we must play 11 games there. We are their money tree.

Greymatter

Senior List
Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You have answered your own question. The SMA won’t budge to help Port and we have a contract that we must play 11 games there. We are their money tree.
We pay for the home team to relocate the game, but because we cannot play a home game away from AO contractually, we remain 'away'. We're giving up money and a home game, just in a roundabout way

We pay for the home team to relocate the game, but because we cannot play a home game away from AO contractually, we remain 'away'. We're giving up money and a home game, just in a roundabout way
How?

We have to raise the money to buy out GC or St Kilda. We wouldn't get any of that money from sponsors if we didn't play in China.

Our membership revenue is about $11m, so if we offer only 10 home games not 11, people would expect a reduction in membership fees by 1/11th. So you are looking at losing around $800k from the reserved seat members if you do that, losing corporate box revenue because we are only offering 10 games not 11, losing signage revenue, game day functions revenue, we lose the $2.40 per attendee fee, so on an average crowd of 38k that is $90k.

Then we would have to compensate the SMA for lost revenue/profit. The SMA would want its profit share and the SANFL its Commission lost of food and beverage sales it receives from the SMA, so all up around another $500k~700k.

It's an away game in name only. We get the real branding rights and control of corporate and ticket revenue.

We only break even because Mr Gui underwrites it, but we would have revenue and expenditure targets we would have to met as he would limit his underwrite fee amount. We would be giving up revenue and paying compensation costs equal of about 3~4 times the $500k fee paid to the GC and saints by moving a home game from AO.

Its not worth it.

Greymatter

Senior List
Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How?

We have to raise the money to buy out GC or St Kilda. We wouldn't get any of that money from sponsors if we didn't play in China.

Our membership revenue is about $11m, so if we offer only 10 home games not 11, people would expect a reduction in membership fees by 1/11th. So you are looking at losing around $800k from the reserved seat members if you do that, losing corporate box revenue because we are only offering 10 games not 11, losing signage revenue, game day functions revenue, we lose the $2.40 per attendee fee, so on an average crowd of 38k that is $90k.

Then we would have to compensate the SMA for lost revenue/profit. The SMA would want its profit share and the SANFL its Commission lost of food and beverage sales it receives from the SMA, so all up around another $500k~700k.

It's an away game in name only. We get the real branding rights and control of corporate and ticket revenue.

We only break even because Mr Gui underwrites it, but we would have revenue and expenditure targets we would have to met as he would limit his underwrite fee amount. We would be giving up revenue and paying compensation costs equal of about 3~4 times the $500k fee paid to the GC and saints by moving a home game from AO.

Its not worth it.
Exactly. What Im saying is that we pay for an opposition home game (i.e. we go to China) and then effectively sacrifice home game billing back to who we buy the game from due to the contractual arrangement with AO. Of course retaining promoter status all along.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
To relocate an existing AO game of course? DuckFarmer suggested we should sacrifice a home game to show China we mean business, I'm saying we are already... The 12th home game we buy.

My point was slightly different but maybe not clear. We have done all the heavy lifting in China, yet every game we’ve played there has been the home game of an opposition club. We’ve been fortunate that our previous opponent in GC only reluctantly embraced it and didn’t capitalise on it. I’ve seen a lot more from St Kilda supported by the Vic government in marketing it from their perspective and taking more ownership of it. If we want to defend our turf here, we may need to look at making it our home game in future.

KT talking China after 8 minute mark in interview with Dwayne Russell. First 8 minutes talks about 2020 guernsey issue and then membership drop off and effect of co-captaincy. Then China between 8.00 and 10.55, before Dwayne has a 2nd crack at the PB guernsey issue and asks also about the 18 clubs CEO's meeting on Monday, Goodes doco, interaction between CEO's and the AFL and mentions AFLX, then talks AFLW and that 2022 or 2023 we probably will get a team.

"We won't talk a lot about" it ie China strategy - "focus on the footy." Secured long term agreements with AFL, St Kilda and Australian government to go with Shanghai CRED long term agreement.

Less Australians travelling - 4,000 this year compared to 6,000 in 2017. (Not sure if that is just Port supporters or all Australians). 9,500 tickets have been sold says it will be a sold out game. Pleased more Chinese will be going to the game.

17 new commercial partners involved in the game, all hospitality tickets sold, fan zone and comfort taken to another level this year.

KT confirmed we will break even as a minimum from the game (thanks Mr Gui, but that's not mentioned) and says almost certainly we will make money out of the whole China proposition from opportunity around the game, says - its now profitable for us.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=372704

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back