TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
We are planning on being in China for the long run, but that doesn't mean we will see premiership points game there every year. At the moment Saints will play there in 2020 and 2021 and Mr Gui has backed a game for 2022 and 2023.

If other clubs don't pull their finger out and make something decent out of the opportunity, the AFL will stop premiership games being played there, but preseason games, AFLX, and AFLW games will replace them.

Bottom line, whilst Mr Gui is prepared to open his chequebook and the AFL want to grow the game we'll see some form of footy played in Shanghai in particular and China in general.

REH, As a matter of interest the Saints were "rumoured" to have cleared about $450,000/ $500,000 in their matches in NZ that is why it is likely they have retained their Sponsorship set up with AFLNZ (Their logo is on the AFLNZ web site along with all of the other NZ sponsors).
Another AFLW point. Have not seen any Chinese Youth/Women training up there?????/ - Only seen the school kids.

Also dont forget the current Vic State Govt is very keen to get involved up there also because they have declared a big interest in the Belt and Road project promoted by Xi Xi Ping.
So by extension would they likely put pressure on AFL House to make sure at least one VIC Club is available each year to play your Club, if Clubs generally get reluctant to travel.

Just back, looking at photos and thought this quarter time lineup for a drink or food might interest some. Two separate queues though that's hard to see. Three of these setups around the ground were the only catering for those not in the hospitality tents. Only one person serving at each of the 2 tills, they would hand over what was bought while the other person then handled the money. This effectively made them one slow person.

Getting a drink.jpg

REH, As a matter of interest the Saints were "rumoured" to have cleared about $450,000/ $500,000 in their matches in NZ that is why it is likely they have retained their Sponsorship set up with AFLNZ (Their logo is on the AFLNZ web site along with all of the other NZ sponsors).
Another AFLW point. Have not seen any Chinese Youth/Women training up there?????/ - Only seen the school kids.

Also dont forget the current Vic State Govt is very keen to get involved up there also because they have declared a big interest in the Belt and Road project promoted by Xi Xi Ping.
So by extension would they likely put pressure on AFL House to make sure at least one VIC Club is available each year to play your Club, if Clubs generally get reluctant to travel.
At some point the game in Shanghai has to tick a lot of more boxes for it to continue. Part of that is a full stadium. If Mr Gui says I am done with this in 2023, then the AFL will have to stick their hands in their pockets to replace him or really crank it up.

The AFL is very worried about the look of everything. They will be prepared to bide their time but at some point they will expect things to change on the current mix.

AFLW - seeing Chinese women have a go will be after about 10 years of the school footy programs.

Last edited:
At some point the game in Shanghai has to tick a lot of more boxes for it to continue. Part of that is a full stadium .....
I know I'm harping on this but a whole lot of people are making one visit and saying "Wonderful city, very dodgy day at the footy."
Why are we playing in the middle of the day in late Spring with temperatures reliably around 30C? Why no shade structures except for the corporates. Play at the beginning of the season when Shanghai is about 20C max. But even better play at night.
Why artificially deny those paying <$200 a beer? The event is very much not teetotal, it's just that one section of the crowd is shut out. As Animal Farm pointed out everyone is equal but some are more equal than others.
Why are we only making 10,000 tickets available? I thought that was enforced on us in 2017 but is it us or the Chinese who keep that cap on. The ground could easily hold twice that. It will always look empty with 10,000 there and a big swag choosing to huddle in the tents rather than spend 3 hours frying,

I know I'm harping on this but a whole lot of people are making one visit and saying "Wonderful city, very dodgy day at the footy."
Why are we playing in the middle of the day in late Spring with temperatures reliably around 30C? Why no shade structures except for the corporates. Play at the beginning of the season when Shanghai is about 20C max. But even better play at night.
Why artificially deny those paying <$200 a beer? The event is very much not teetotal, it's just that one section of the crowd is shut out. As Animal Farm pointed out everyone is equal but some are more equal than others.
Why are we only making 10,000 tickets available? I thought that was enforced on us in 2017 but is it us or the Chinese who keep that cap on. The ground could easily hold twice that. It will always look empty with 10,000 there and a big swag choosing to huddle in the tents rather than spend 3 hours frying,
The ‘Shanghai solution’ would be to increase the ‘corporates’ so much that they pay to extend 80% around the stadium, a cover in between for the 20% where the plebs can congregate and be catered to with atmosphere, drink stalls, etc.

This would better create a HK Rugby Sevens setting, which the AFL is keen on achieving.

Pedro59

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
northern rivers NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think a good way of projecting the fact that crowd numbers are actually good because not all stadium seats can be utilised would be to place tarpaulins over the inhabitable sections. They could even sport advertising logos for financial return and would make the ground seem fuller.
Nooooooooo

Haha Can you imagine the banter...PortZ has their tarps back

The ‘Shanghai solution’ would be to increase the ‘corporates’ so much that they pay to extend 80% around the stadium, a cover in between for the 20% where the plebs can congregate and be catered to with atmosphere, drink stalls, etc.

This would better create a HK Rugby Sevens setting, which the AFL is keen on achieving.
If we found a HK equivalent of Mr Gui and the Kai Tak airport redevelopment stadium was an AFL/International Cricket sized oval and not a rectangle then HK would be the best option to play the game, because they have the sports culture, enough Aussies based there as well as Europeans and locals who go watch big end sports, the corporates who want to get involved, the english language, and the marketing experience of the HK Sevens.

But none of that exists - yet.

If we found a HK equivalent of Mr Gui and the Kai Tak airport redevelopment stadium was an AFL/International Cricket sized oval and not a rectangle then HK would be the best option to play the game, because they have the sports culture, enough Aussies based there as well as Europeans and locals who go watch big end sports, the corporates who want to get involved, the english language, and the marketing experience of the HK Sevens.

But none of that exists - yet.
Why not have both?

Why not have both?
1 is hard enough. But if someone stumps up the money for 2, then yes why not.

But after playing at an international standard 40k-50k stadium in HK with plenty of shade via grandstand roofs, every patron can buy booze, has the creature comforts of a modern facility, people turn up in decent numbers and aren't in booze tents watching the game, Jiangwan Stadium becomes a liability to keep its game.

1 is hard enough. But if someone stumps up the money for 2, then yes why not.

But after playing at an international standard 40k-50k stadium in HK with plenty of shade via grandstand roofs, every patron can buy booze, has the creature comforts of a modern facility, people turn up in decent numbers and aren't in booze tents watching the game, Jiangwan Stadium becomes a liability to keep its game.
Hong Kong cannot be a substitute for China, only a co-venue for two matches per year, eventually, whether men’s, women’s or Martians playing Australian Football.

Xi Xi Ping. What a cute moniker. If there was a role for a femme fatale or a panda in my Docudrama that is the name I would’ve gone for.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Xi Xi Ping. What a cute moniker. If there was a role for a femme fatale or a panda in my Docudrama that is the name I would’ve gone for.
"Xixi" is "pee" in Portuguese. You are literally taking the piss on this now!

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I know I'm harping on this but a whole lot of people are making one visit and saying "Wonderful city, very dodgy day at the footy.",
This is my exact feelings, I went in ‘17 with a couple of mates and absolutely loved the trip... all of it except the match.

I will be going again within the next couple of years, but it likely won’t be going whilst the game is on.

The match was 100% the reason for going to China and I likely would never have even considered going if not for the footy, but all it really did was rob is of an extra day to explore Shanghai!

By the way, IMO - Beijing shits all over Shanghai and will probably just spend my entire trip up north next time!

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys

Surely Amanda Vanstone XiXi’d you enough to at least warrant a passing mention!

Surely Amanda Vanstone XiXi’d you enough to at least warrant a passing mention!
She did but she couldn’t fit on the casting couch.

.... Beijing shits all over Shanghai ....
Beijing was a fantastic surprise. As was the high-speed train ride between them, admittedly on a lovely clear day. For me they're different but both great. I like my little area around East Nanjing road in Shanghai where I now know where to eat and buy groceries. FWIW I don't remember ever thanking you for your information on the Simatai section of the Great Wall, that was quite the experience.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Gold Coast should not have given up on playing AFL games in China, by Alistair Lynch

"I have always supported the principle behind the AFL’s push into China and now, after having my first experience of a game there on the weekend, I’m more convinced than ever ...."

We should get Lynch on to our Club board.

... Take a stroll around Shanghai, spend time at any of the official functions in the lead up to the game or wander through the corporate areas behind the stadium on game day, where the broadcast cameras aren’t shooting, and you will quickly realise that this is primarily about business. The trip gives Port Adelaide the perfect platform to not only put their sponsors in front of a Chinese market but also to create partnerships between Australian and Chinese companies.

... The presence of Australian executives, many from the mining sector who did business in Shanghai around the game last week, proves the value they see in the exercise.

The representation of Chinese and Australian money at those events was staggering. Port Adelaide are in boots and all and they should be applauded for that.

Gillon McLachlan puts down his wine and steps out into the sun to speak to the dehydrated rabble only metres away. To his disappointment none of us played polo or knew of any good au pairs.
In all seriousness the guy to the left of the man in the Geelong guernsey called out to Gillon until he came out, then the guy gave him a bit of an earnest but light-hearted dig re no Tasmanian teams.

Haves and have nots.jpg

We should get Lynch on to our Club board.

... Take a stroll around Shanghai, spend time at any of the official functions in the lead up to the game or wander through the corporate areas behind the stadium on game day, where the broadcast cameras aren’t shooting, and you will quickly realise that this is primarily about business. The trip gives Port Adelaide the perfect platform to not only put their sponsors in front of a Chinese market but also to create partnerships between Australian and Chinese companies.

... The presence of Australian executives, many from the mining sector who did business in Shanghai around the game last week, proves the value they see in the exercise.
The representation of Chinese and Australian money at those events was staggering. Port Adelaide are in boots and all and they should be applauded for that.
He still hasn't served his 5 (?) week suspension from the 2004 GF or I'd agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back