Opinion China - PAFC’s 2nd Five-Year Plan 2018-2023

I worry that I will never see a Power or Magpies premiership in my lifetime again. LR has 10 years on me, so I can palpably understand his frustration would be even higher than mine.

PAFC have done the hard yards, established contacts and built good relationships, gained the trust of the Chinese via their trade involvement between the two nations, set up a foothold with an "office" per se over there, etc.

Now is the time to strike and strike hard and swiftly.

Bugger the AFL. Just get in and start doing some major deals, before they pull the rug out from under us, as we all know they eventually will - it's just a case of "when"?

getting benefits will not hasten or slow down the AFL's agenda for getting Vic and expansion clubs reaping the benefits. That timeline has probably already been set, so just use the goodwill we have and get things bloody well done, so we can eliminate our debt, build our centre of excellence and sporting hub, buy the 36ers and take Aussie basketball to China - whatever!

PAFC have never achieved all their success by being shy. Big Bob, Bruce W and all the others just said let's do this and went BANG!

No need to do this by bullying, being rude or bombastic, failing to show due respect and courtesy to our new friends across the sea. We can achieve what we want by being assertive and positive and committed to achieving an end result, whilst still being the perfect guests in their country and the perfect hosts to the in ours.

Some times, ya just gotta grow a pair of kahuna's and jump in the ice bath!

th
I fully support your viewpoint and approach. However it’s best that I leave this thread alone for the next three weekends whilst the CEO and his crew focus fully, minus distraction, on the set of three home matches at Adelaide Oval to which maximum commercial priority has been attached by the Club for 2018.
In three weeks time, if we have done well on-field, the general mood will be naturally more receptive.
If we have done the opposite ... ... ...

I worry that I will never see a Power or Magpies premiership in my lifetime again.

Same.

Although for me it's less about the ultimate prize and more about the uncharted waters we currently find ourselves in.

That whole derpy era of self-inflicted wounds and incompetence circa 2005-2012 coincided with the whole SANFL control/terminal business model thing that hung over the club's head like the grim reaper's scythe. Not only were we not in control of our destiny, but the ultimate nadir of 2010-12 was inevitable.

After the rebirth of 2013-14 that just happened to coincide with being free of the SANFL's clutches we've managed to steer ourselves down a blind alley on the field, and are all-in with what's increasingly looking like a busted flush off it.

Free of excuses, for the first time in my life (and for the better part of 150 years), Port Adelaide doesn't know what it's doing.

At football. Which is bad enough.

But now with everything else, too? The second joint major? The entire China strat which could seemingly go either way now?

Yikes. YIKES.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I support the Club for "having a fair dinkum crack" at China, community, etc etc etc.

If they try and fail, it is still better than to have not tried, given the precarious circumstances (self inflicted and external forces) we found ourselves in.

No dishonour in that - it's the Port Adelaide way!

But it needs to be 100% all in now. The groundwork has been carefully nurtured. Now to reap the crop.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Chinese private equity eyes Aussie wastewater, medical deals

Zack Wang, the president of Chinese private equity firm KAILAI Investments, says his company is eyeing more deals in Australia's healthcare and aged care after taking a strategic stake in South Australian water-purifying business Micromet.

Mr Wang was introduced to Adelaide-based Micromet during a visit to South Australia in April for his daughter's graduation. He is one of a new breed of Chinese entrepreneurs whose visits to Australia to visit their children studying abroad are also uncovering business opportunities.

KAILAI Investments has investments in over 50 companies in China, mainly in manufacturing, education, childcare and environmental protection, and says it manages around 2 billion yuan ($409 million) in assets. The company's modest investment in Micromet came after Mr Wang was introduced to the company by the Port Adelaide Football Club, which has sponsorship deals in China.

"We want to help more Australian companies to expand their business in China," Mr Wang told The Australian Financial Review, saying the company also looked at deals in childcare, medical care and a technology company.

"In China, medical care and education all have good prospects."

Port Adelaide Football Club, which played an annual AFL match in Shanghai last month, said it connected the two companies as part of its new business program designed to help Australian companies do business in China. The unlikely combination of sport and business is the first deal signed by the club's e-commerce joint venture with Chinese developer Shanghai CRED.

https://www.afr.com/business/chines...ssie-wastewater-medical-deals-20180604-h10yd7
So do we get a cut of the deal?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And it is bad news... :) But nothing that we cannot solve. It is fairly easy for Prudence to become Caution, and Caution to become Stagnation. We must be aware of that.

Correct me where I'm wrong. We are in a great position, but also a difficult one, between China and the AFL/Australia. If we move to fast or wait to long, the enterprise may fail. On the other hand, we can't control everything, so we must sail with the wind — whatever it is.

Everyone has his own agenda. This is par for the course. The key is to fit those into PAFC's agenda, which is consolidating a source of income in China — by establishing its presence there through football. Isn't that it?
I read it that we are being smart and making sure we avoid the mistakes of the likes of the Royal Croque Club in venturing into China.

Just like them we cannot afford to lose millions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I fully support your viewpoint and approach. However it’s best that I leave this thread alone for the next three weekends whilst the CEO and his crew focus fully, minus distraction, on the set of three home matches at Adelaide Oval to which maximum commercial priority has been attached by the Club for 2018.
In three weeks time, if we have done well on-field, the general mood will be naturally more receptive.
If we have done the opposite ... ... ...
Okay ... that went pretty well, certainly on-field. I trust it went well off-field, too, with existing and potential sponsors at the south end of the rabbit-hole taking note of and assessing the benefits of three consecutive Friday/Thursday nights of national FTA exposure. It would be interesting to receive a summary from the Club on how they thought the experiment went in all off-field areas.

It’s a quiet period just now, re China. Talking going on behind the scenes re partnerships, opponents and the Jiangwan Stadium set-up for 2019, the growth of Power Footy in three separate areas of China and whether we are yet up to or past break-even on that project within a project, as we are on the Shanghai game. As I said in the OP, it’s time to move ahead from break-even into profitability. When I say ‘it’s time’ I’m not referring to tomorrow. It’s the second five-year plan 2018-2023 that we’re discussing here.

At the moment we’re doing more watching than doing ... watching our arch enemy just down the road making imbeciles of themselves in broad daylight and in the process reinforcing the basic rule that if it’s something the Crows are doing, stay well away from it; if it’s someone the Crows are hiring, painting up in tricolor and putting in front of the media to represent the franchise, smile quietly, be entertained and say nothing too loudly.

My main colleague in the area of voluntary China advisory services was in Adelaide last week, was at the Club for discussions and went to the Oval on Friday for the pre-match function, some networking, and the game itself. This being Tuesday, I’ll be getting his report in the Pro Drinkers Corner, and thus may have something China to post for you later in the week: nothing that is confidential of course, no names nor pack drill of course, simply my personal opinion on this that and the other.

This may have been discussed already but there was a very strong China flavour to the Friday night game against Melbourne.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
Same.

Although for me it's less about the ultimate prize and more about the uncharted waters we currently find ourselves in.

That whole derpy era of self-inflicted wounds and incompetence circa 2005-2012 coincided with the whole SANFL control/terminal business model thing that hung over the club's head like the grim reaper's scythe. Not only were we not in control of our destiny, but the ultimate nadir of 2010-12 was inevitable.

After the rebirth of 2013-14 that just happened to coincide with being free of the SANFL's clutches we've managed to steer ourselves down a blind alley on the field, and are all-in with what's increasingly looking like a busted flush off it.

Free of excuses, for the first time in my life (and for the better part of 150 years), Port Adelaide doesn't know what it's doing.

At football. Which is bad enough.

But now with everything else, too? The second joint major? The entire China strat which could seemingly go either way now?

Yikes. YIKES.
I think we are getting a hold of football, something out of China would be great

This may have been discussed already but there was a very strong China flavour to the Friday night game against Melbourne.
Now that’s interesting, Watson. I shall extract my trusty magnifying glass and investigate.

Now that’s interesting, Watson. I shall extract my trusty magnifying glass and investigate.

Chen Shaoliang kicked the opening goal and was introduced by the MC who worked alongside Dwayne at the Shanghai presentations (sorry I can't remember his name). That was unusual.

A member of Team China ran a 100m half time sprint along the outer boundary. I was on my way up to the concourse so not sure what it was about.

And I recall some advertising on the electronic hoardings or on the big screens.

There were a few things that on their own with no prior warning didn't really stand out. But having Chen kick the first goal did get my attention.

Last edited:

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Chen Shaoliang kicked the opening goal and was introduced by the MC who worked alongside Dwayne at the Shanghai presentations (sorry I can't remember his name). That was unusual.

A member of Team China ran a 100m half time sprint along the outer boundary. I was on my way up to the concourse so not sure what it was about.

And I recall some advertising on the electronic hoardings.

There were 2. I think Jamie Pi was one and the other had a first name similar to Rose?

There were 2. I think Jamie Pi was one and the other had a first name similar to Rose?

There was a lot going on with the multicultural presentation on the oval so I was a bit distracted. I only saw Jamie but I'm sure you're right.

Just fell into place with the half time sprint. Did you see that?

I looked over at the northern end gateway to China stand to see if anything was set up there.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
There was a lot going on with the multicultural presentation on the oval so I was a bit distracted. I only saw Jamie but I'm sure you're right.

Just fell into place with the half time sprint. Did you see that?

I looked over at the northern end gateway to China stand to see if anything was set up there.

Yes, saw the sprint. There appeared to be a lot of oriental style lanterns in the “Before The Bounce” function in the Western Stand, as well as the GDV (from the pics I have seen).

And I recall some advertising on the electronic hoardings or on the big screens..
I did see that, especially the bright red advertising going around the oval on the led screens but missed everything else. Missed Chen kicking the goal, but the women behind me told me he was the goal kicked.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

And I recall some advertising on the electronic hoardings or on the big screens.

There were a few things that on their own with no prior warning didn't really stand out. But having Chen kick the first goal did get my attention.
Yes I noticed Open To The Wprld and Chen Shaoliang’s name on the moving electronic advertising around the oval

Before the Bounce had a Chinese menu and lanterns, etc. It was multicultural round and Port Adelaide has adopted China as its theme so it all fitted together.

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
They also had a Chinese drummer and drums leading up to the bounce after each break. I assumed it was due to being multicultural round.

Back