Opinion China - PAFC’s 2nd Five-Year Plan 2018-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Full time staff still on the ground.

AFL's chance to take on rugby at Brisbane Olympics

... will Port Adelaide ever return?

“I would not say it is forever off the cards,” replied Port Adelaide Football Club president David Koch. “We still have full-time staff in Shanghai; we are still doing business in China.

“We never intended to make AFL the national game of China; that was never in the conversation. We were about encouraging business between Australia and China. We didn’t see COVID coming; no-one did.”

AFL's chance to take on rugby at Brisbane Olympics

I see Port going back to China with a game when Xi Jinping steps down and someone less hawkish towards international politics and trade comes in.

Read into that what you will.

Given Mao was supreme leader for 33 years, that may take a while.
Yep Xi won't be stepping down for a long time. He's made himself leader for life.

In the late 60's, Xi's father who was a senior leader in the inner circle of the CCP in Beijing, was banished to the most northern province as part of the stupid cultural revolution bullshit. The whole family was forced to work in agriculture fields with poor soils and grow food with hard manual labour. When Xi applied for Uni he was rejected 15 times or so, because of who his father was, as the Unis were scared of punishment from Beijing if they accepted him.

Instead of rejecting Mao and embracing the leadership style of Deng Xiaoping who gave China its initial freedoms post Mao, he has decided that Mao's style is better and if he was good enough to work thru that tough leadership period, then others should do the same now.

If you travelled to China for one of Port's games there you may want to read this article.
There is a suggestion in there about getting a new passport.

He also added that compared to other sectors such as health and beauty products, there were "very few successful case studies" of foreign tech brands winning markets in China.
"It's not just a case of showing up and saying you're from Australia [and then you can gain success], it's more complex, more competitive than it's ever been," Mr Tanner said.
Ms Schaefer said tech companies entering China's market should be prepared for a "different technological ecosystem".
"It's just that different users expect something very different, and what they expect nobody else anywhere expects," she said.
"So you've got to totally localise. You're basically building a second product.

So does this mean anything that happened pre-Covid is a dream?

I feel like some other team was already doing this and had hosted games in China. Guess not.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has confirmed a report Sydney will host a China-themed game later this month.

Nine reported on Friday the Sydney Swans’ game against West Coast in round 15 would be attended by senior Chinese and Australian government officials, with the aim of growing the game among Australia’s Chinese community.

I feel like some other team was already doing this and had hosted games in China. Guess not.

Game supposedly struggling in Sydney, so have to do something to link up to as many different demographic markets as possible.

That is so strange. So they're sponsored by Qatar Airways, whilst wearing a gay pride guernsey. Next they're doing a China game when relations aren't exactly great are they? Odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back