Opinion China - PAFC’s 2nd Five-Year Plan 2018-2023

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But he is ok with the Govt sponsoring their AFLW side?
Funny isn’t it..no mention that they are giving The money to help bring investment and tourism into the state to assist everyone.

I also saw a tweet from seven news about Govt using ”taxpayers money to bankroll Port”

And yes no mention of the money Crows have teceived for AFLW

Gee I ******* hate that club and their media plants.
Hurry up SEN

technically the ancient campaigner should be applauded for being able to troll people decades younger than him on an ancient medium day in day out

lol he questioned Marshall's integrity saying that he was bankrolling the club he loves with tax payer money and that Port wouldn't be getting a cent if a Port supporter wasn't the premier.

Christ.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
technically the ancient campaigner should be applauded for being able to troll people decades younger than him on an ancient medium day in day out

908086-kane-and-graham.jpg

"A few outlandish statements might get you some listeners at the start, Kane, but you won't last very long without at least an attempt at balance."

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Anyone willing to understand our issues in China doesn't need to look any further than the field of play to grasp what is wrong.

It is the same story.

Last edited:
Anyone willing to understand our issues in China doesn't look any further from the field of play to grasp what is wrong...
Thanks for this Grem. Very interesting to read the OP and page 1 and note that the only item out of place 18 months on is the names of certain senior Australian ex-politicians.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Thanks for this Grem. Very interesting to read the OP and page 1 and note that the only item out of place 18 months on is the names of certain senior Australian ex-politicians.
I wrote while picking up one of my kids from a playdate. I have fixed my post now. (I hope!)

Lockhart Road

A final game every three years is a pass. Translating that into what we have been doing in China, what would we be taking as an EQUIVALENT "success" there?

It is scary!
I do not accept a ‘final game every three years’ as a pass. To me that is a fail. In fact, I do not go in for a ‘pass’ at anything. I exist to win premierships.

Therefore, to assess what I would call a premiership in China, go back to the OP and imagine complete success at all of the 8 + 1 objectives.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I do not accept a ‘final game every three years’ as a pass. To me that is a fail. In fact, I do not go in for a ‘pass’ at anything. I exist to win premierships.

Therefore, to assess what I would call a premiership in China, go back to the OP and imagine complete success at all of the 8 + 1 objectives.
I know. I am on your camp. I am trying to show what the club CURRENTLY take as a pass. That's why China is failing.

It is the same reason why the team is failing.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
Saw this article about us from a football viewpoint.
Interesting read - make some good positive points

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
** Despite the articles frustrating references to "Adelaide"

Saw this article about us from a football viewpoint.
Interesting read - make some good positive points
Some one posted that in the China thread. Said it was poorly written but made the point.

My thought at the time was that A-League and FFA don't have a Mr Gui in China and the author has completely missed this.

If they ever get one, watch out.

My mate the Airport Economist was Chief Economist at Austrade between 1999-2011. He did some work over the years with Soccer Australia, then FFA, with Frank Lowy and the A-League trying to leverage the sports diplomacy angle of soccer in China and Asia, especially when the FFA moved from the Oceania Confederation to the Asian Confederation, to link up businesses and governments around soccer. Basically what Port are trying to do.

He did stuff for the AFL for the Melbourne v Brisbane Shanghai NAB Cup game, Crows v Pies in Dubai NAB Cup game, and stuff Freo was doing in South Africa, between 2005-08 in particular. Koch has known him for years, used him on his Business Builders program for a decade and put him on his Sydney Advisory team when he set up the Sydney and Melbourne ones within a month of becoming Prez, in late 2012.

I chat to him about China every now and then and he said the opportunity that Mr Gui has provided, the FFA have nothing close to it, despite all the natural advantages soccer has to build business/government/education etc bridges between the two countries, they have over Port. They don't have a focal point to maximize it.

Last edited:
Why would China ever give a s**t about the A-League? They have their own much better league. There are players in that league who get paid roughly the same as every A-League player put together.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some one posted that in the China thread. Said it was poorly written but made the point.

My thought at the time was that A-League and FFA don't have a Mr Gui in China and the author has completely missed this.

If they ever get one, watch out.

My mate the Airport Economist was Chief Economist at Austrade between 1999-2011. He did some work over the years with Soccer Australia, then FFA, with Frank Lowy and the A-League trying to leverage the sports diplomacy angle of soccer in China and Asia, especially when the FFA moved from the Oceania Confederation to the Asian Confederation, to link up businesses and governments around soccer. Basically what Port are trying to do.

He did stuff for the AFL for the Melbourne v Brisbane Shanghai NAB Cup game, Crows v Pies in Dubai NAB Cup game, and stuff Freo was doing in South Africa, between 2005-08 in particular. Koch has known him for years, used him on his Business Builders program for a decade and put him on his Sydney Advisory team when he set up the Sydney and Melbourne ones within a month of becoming Prez, in late 2012.

I chat to him about China every now and then and he said the opportunity that Mr Gui has provided, the FFA have nothing close to it, despite all the natural advantages soccer has to build business/government/education etc bridges between the two countries, they have over Port. They don't have a focal point to maximize it.

The problem with that is that the A-League is essentially an irrelevance in Australia. For it to be worth the time for Chinese companies they are going to want reach, relevance and connection to significant sections of the Australian market - which in a sporting context is through the vehicle of clubs within our primary sports of Australian football and rugby.

It's interesting that cricket is a game so well suited to the subtlety and patience of what has historically been considered the Chinese psyche, but has never looked like taking off there. Too English / colonial? Less leisure time? In any case given it's not localised to the extent as footy or rugby clubs it's not such an effective approach for Chinese companies wanting to build their name in Australia. Require a narrower focus than that in order to build the loyalty.

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
Why would China ever give a s**t about the A-League? They have their own much better league. There are players in that league who get paid roughly the same as every A-League player put together.

Exactly.. a club like Guangzhou Evergrande will have at least 50 times the budget of Port.
FFA can't even expand in its own shores - they will never export it to Asia let alone China.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The AFL has today confirmed the fourth annual Shanghai match will be featured in Round 11 of the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Since AFL’s expansion into China in 2017, three successful matches involving Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Gold Coast SUNS Football Clubs have been played at Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai’s Yangpu District.

AFL General Manager of China David Stevenson has said the decision is based on the AFL’s long-term commitment to China and building on new partnerships, on and off the field.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
The AFL has today confirmed the fourth annual Shanghai match will be featured in Round 11 of the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Since AFL’s expansion into China in 2017, three successful matches involving Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Gold Coast SUNS Football Clubs have been played at Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai’s Yangpu District.

AFL General Manager of China David Stevenson has said the decision is based on the AFL’s long-term commitment to China and building on new partnerships, on and off the field.

The news warmly received by the Twitterati...

MaxPowa

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Giddyup boys - going for my three-peat next year, can't wait :maize: 🍐.

Back