Opinion We Drive to the World Stage in an MG ...

Remove this Banner Ad

FYI

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/e...r/news-story/350060bb946b3fd9608e075e55073964

Eddie McGuire refuses to bite at report of $10m AFL TV offer
Eddie McGuire says he is “embarrassed” after reports he is at the centre of a groundbreaking $10m AFL TV deal his own club has rejected.

...The media mogul’s television production company was on Tuesday reported to have agreed to terms with global streaming giant Amazon Prime to produce a series of documentaries surrounding footy stars.

...Reporter Sam McClure on Tuesday said Sydney, GWS, Richmond, Carlton, West Coast, Gold Coast and GWS are all interested in being involved while Port Adelaide and Geelong are also considering their interest.

...Collingwood president McGuire’s own club, however, has reportedly turned down the offer. The Fox Footy presenter responded to the report on Tuesday by refusing to confirm if the deal has been struck for the documentary series to be streamed on Amazon Prime in Australia.

...“It’s not appropriate for me to speak at the moment,” a sheepish McGuire told Triple M’s Hot Breakfast.
“As Jack Dyer said, ‘I’m saying nothing in case I say something’.

...“Don’t ask me any questions, I’m not going to answer anything.”
He said he was “embarrassed” to see a photo of himself and Swans star Franklin on the back page of a Melbourne newspaper on Tuesday morning, declaring AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan is the man at the centre of the discussions.
“I’m embarrassed about that photo of me on the back page because (Gil’s) photo should be there. It’s an AFL deal,” he said.

————

‘Amazon Prime is a paid subscription service offered by Amazon that gives users access to services that would otherwise be unavailable, or cost extra, to the typical Amazon customer.
In January 2020, Amazon reported that Prime had more than 150 million subscribers worldwide.’

Last edited:
FYI

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/e...r/news-story/350060bb946b3fd9608e075e55073964

Eddie McGuire refuses to bite at report of $10m AFL TV offer
Eddie McGuire says he is “embarrassed” after reports he is at the centre of a groundbreaking $10m AFL TV deal his own club has rejected.

...The media mogul’s television production company was on Tuesday reported to have agreed to terms with global streaming giant Amazon Prime to produce a series of documentaries surrounding footy stars.

...Reporter Sam McClure on Tuesday said Sydney, GWS, Richmond, Carlton, West Coast, Gold Coast and GWS are all interested in being involved while Port Adelaide and Geelong are also considering their interest.

...Collingwood president McGuire’s own club, however, has reportedly turned down the offer. The Fox Footy presenter responded to the report on Tuesday by refusing to confirm if the deal has been struck for the documentary series to be streamed on Amazon Prime in Australia.

...“It’s not appropriate for me to speak at the moment,” a sheepish McGuire told Triple M’s Hot Breakfast.
“As Jack Dyer said, ‘I’m saying nothing in case I say something’.

...“Don’t ask me any questions, I’m not going to answer anything.”
He said he was “embarrassed” to see a photo of himself and Swans star Franklin on the back page of a Melbourne newspaper on Tuesday morning, declaring AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan is the man at the centre of the discussions.
“I’m embarrassed about that photo of me on the back page because (Gil’s) photo should be there. It’s an AFL deal,” he said.
We should be doing everything in our power to be a part of this!
it would be immense for the club and would help the China project immensely (as well as educating the afl world of our true History).
*, we should be doing it for free!!!!

On a side node, I wonder how many of those are people that just get the streaming service as a bonus to all the other Amazon Prime benefits.
Well they would be missing out as it has some of the better original content.

Chip Le Grand has something to say on Fairfax:

When it comes to China, will sport mind its business?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/when-i...-sport-mind-its-business-20200228-p545g7.html

Television personality David Koch is the chairman of Port Adelaide, the AFL club most heavily invested with China. He argues that the club’s commercial arrangements with China, which include playing a match in China and a newly announced sponsorship deal with the Chinese-owned car maker MG, carry no risk of the club, its staff or players being influenced by Beijing.

Rather, he sees football as providing a “bridge” between two cultures.

“There are some sections of Chinese government policy we are uneasy with,’’ he says. “We are uneasy with gun laws in America. So there are clashes of cultures and understanding across all sorts of countries.

“Because they have a very different culture and they have developed so quickly there is a natural unease. That is where we think we can play a big role in building that bridge through football. China can get an understanding of what we are about and Australians can get a better understanding of what they are about.”

Lockhart Road from the Chip Le Grand article you quoted. The time zone helps.

To appreciate a small slice of the enormous market China offers to sport, consider the Chinese TV audience for this year’s Australian Open tennis tournament. The men’s final between Novak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem was watched by nearly 5 million people in China, a figure that dwarfs the average audience of 2 million for the same match in Australia. The Australian Open is the most-watched major tennis tournament in China, and this year, the number of hours viewed on China’s state-owned sports broadcaster, CCTV-5, was nearly double the previous year’s figure.

(OP cont’d)

The CURIOUS and CARCINOGENIC CASE of COS CARDONE

Image.jpeg

I’ve opted to put this addendum to my OP here rather than in the sticky ‘Bring Back The Bars’ thread, where the motivation for this post - the piece written by Tom Basso and published in The Mongrel Punt in mid-May last year - is buried.

The star of my OP is MG. The supporting cast includes all who helped Andrew Hunter bring MG to the Club. There is a villain in the plot, as there is in all plots worth analysis. The OP has pinned our appointed director Cos Cardone as the bad guy, has done so because of his negative contribution to our MG coup. Not zero contribution, mind ... negative contribution.

Cos laid claim to the chair of a marketing committee, then drove it into a deep dark hole to hide evidence it ever existed. He still refuses to lift his littlest finger to advantage PAFC via his hypothetical portfolio of business, sports, media and AFL connections in Melbourne. Said connections, or any mention thereof in his 2012 profile, was bait cast by Cos to land a seat on The David’s revolutionary Eastern Advisory Board in Melbourne - there was another in Sydney - and his appointment to the Alberton board room. Turns out it was just a line. No hook.

I’ve opined in the OP on Cos’s strategy ... accidental or on purpose ... to tread the path of personal interest, along with that of his employer Eddie The E., in preference to the righteous path, the path of accountability, both contractual and moral, to our Club as a member of our board.

All of that was covered in the OP.

Now, here’s something new.

Contributing to the timing of this post is a rumour that our villain may be at the root of an ongoing tardiness in the recruitment process for our next CEO.

Why am I not in the least surprised by such a rumour?

Image_1.jpeg
“I wish someone would rev things up. I gotta leave soon.”

Bring back the Bars again ... and again?

150th Anniversary Year 2020. So far we know - as things stand at this moment of posting - that our beloved Bars are to be worn in celebration ... once. For the home Showdown, Round 2. What about after that?

There are twenty more home and away matches to follow, more than half at Adelaide Oval. Then come the 2020 finals in which, so promises our desperate Senior Coach Ken No-Ken, we are going to participate en route to the MCG for the last match of the season. En route, so pledges No-Ken, to nothing less than a PAFC premiership flag.

Who’s to stop us from wearing the Bars more than once in 28 weeks of football - if No-Ken turns out to be right for once - during our 150th year?

We know damn well the answer to that.

Accordingly, let’s refresh. Let’s make sure we haven’t forgotten.

Let’s look back ten months and resurrect Tom Basso’s 15 May 2019 article in The Mongrel Punt.

Image_2.jpeg

WHY DOES EDDIE HOLD POWER OVER THE AFL?

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2019/2019/05/15/2019-05-15-eddiepower/

Excerpt, from paragraph 5 to 7 inclusive:

... Collingwood President Eddie McGuire, not the AFL, has again signalled his intention to block Port’s request to wear its iconic ‘prison bars’ jumper (that is similar but different to ... Collingwood’s) to celebrate the club’s 150th anniversary. The Power wish to wear the guernesy (sic) currently worn by its SANFL side, from next year (2020) onwards in Showdowns against the Adelaide Crows.

However, McGuire said that Port Adelaide need to come up with an alternative to the black and white prison bars that does not “offend” Collingwood such as changing the guernesy’s (sic) colours to teal and magenta. Port Adelaide finds this proposal disrespectful and will not consider it, despite McGuire claiming his proposal would “bring the clubs together” … by separating their colours?

Port Adelaide can rule out its dream of reviving the prison bars for all Showdowns effective next year (2020). Its best-case scenario is convincing McGuire to allow the jumper to be worn – just once – in its 150th anniversary season in 2020, in its home Showdown.

Excerpt, paragraph 11 to 13 inclusive:

... McGuire claims he has a deal in place with Port Adelaide and the AFL that gives Collingwood the rights over the jumper. But Port Adelaide has continually denied that such deal exists while it has just been tumbleweeds from the AFL on the matter.

Although, there may not be an official agreement per se, Collingwood and McGuire still ultimately hold the cards in the conflict. This is because “the AFL would prefer (McGuire) accept the concept rather than condemn and criticise it,” as The Advertiser’s Michelangelo Rucci told this author.

But at some point, AFL Chairman Richard Goyder or CEO Gillon McLachlan or anyone in a position of authority at the AFL surely need to stand up. It should not be that hard for the governing body to – well – govern?

Excerpt, paragraph 15:

... the CEO of McGuire’s JAM TV is Cos Cardone, a Port Adelaide board member, (and) it’d be interesting to see where he fits in the Power’s battle against McGuire.

Excerpt, paragraph 16, 18 and 19:

In a recent interview on SEN SA, McGuire threw the first grenades towards Alberton ... in that same interview, McGuire said “I don’t want to make it sound like they have to ask for our permission.”

Port Adelaide may not need to directly ask for McGuire’s permission but they will need his blessing for them to proceed as he clearly has a significant and ultimately overriding say on the affair.

Excerpt from paragraph 25 and 26:

... why exactly is Collingwood any different? More importantly, why should they get any special treatment?

... Then SANFL President Max Basheer was successfully able to con then-Collingwood President Allan McAlister over the phone into believing that Port Adelaide will always wear its prison bars jumper, even for away games against Collingwood.

Excerpt paragraph 31 and 32:

(Allan McAlister) “... I will reiterate to our board that if the Port Adelaide Football Club should succeed at ranking higher than the Collingwood Football Club for three consecutive years in the AFL then our objections will be waived.”

Port Adelaide ranked higher than Collingwood on its first five consecutive years ... 1997 to 2001. Meaning, Collingwood did not honour its agreement, and the prison bars remains as decisive an issue as it ever has been.

But what hope do Port Adelaide have when Eddie powers over the AFL?

Double act

What hope do we have? We have none ... or we have it all.

We have Eddie E.’s ‘man’ in our board room - the reality and unreality of which The Ed has brassily reminded us openly and often. The Ed broadcast the fact while miked-up for the cameras ... delivered it point-blank at our chairman, the incredible shrinking man, who during our Prison Bars crusade maintains a silent zero-passion profile and hovers like a ghost in the background.

Like a shadow in Eddie’s shadow.

1584078515377.png
I’ve got my man on the inside. Of course I’m going to get exactly what I want.”

The Ed’s plant on our board is as we speak sliding under the radar into an eighth year as a Port Adelaide Football Club director. He sits at the heart of the Club, listening in to its beat, party to its intestinal rumblings, sifting through the entrails in search of something juicy to feed back to his handler. All the while, you might think, wondering how much longer should he keep up this double act of his.

Place and time to stop dodging and decide, Cos. Who’s it gonna be?

Eddie? Or us?

Image_4.jpeg
“I’ve got my eye on you, Cacciatori.”

Last edited:
(OP cont’d)

The CURIOUS and CARCINOGENIC CASE of COS CARDONE

View attachment 838836

I’ve opted to put this addendum to my OP here rather than in the sticky ‘Bring Back The Bars’ thread, where the motivation for this post - the piece written by Tom Basso and published in The Mongrel Punt in mid-May last year - is buried.

The star of my OP is MG. The supporting cast includes all who helped Andrew Hunter bring MG to the Club. There is a villain in the plot, as there is in all plots worth analysis. The OP has pinned our appointed director Cos Cardone as the bad guy, has done so because of his negative contribution to our MG coup. Not zero contribution, mind ... negative contribution.

Cos laid claim to the chair of a marketing committee, then drove it into a deep dark hole to hide evidence it ever existed. He still refuses to lift his littlest finger to advantage PAFC via his hypothetical portfolio of business, sports, media and AFL connections in Melbourne. Said connections, or any mention thereof in his 2012 profile, was bait cast by Cos to land a seat on The David’s revolutionary Eastern Advisory Board in Melbourne - there was another in Sydney - and his appointment to the Alberton board room. Turns out it was just a line. No hook.

I’ve opined in the OP on Cos’s strategy ... accidental or on purpose ... to tread the path of personal interest, along with that of his employer Eddie The E., in preference to the righteous path, the path of accountability, both contractual and moral, to our Club as a member of our board.

All of that was covered in the OP.

Now, here’s something new.

Contributing to the timing of this post is a rumour that our villain may be at the root of an ongoing tardiness in the recruitment process for our next CEO.

Why am I not in the least surprised by such a rumour?

View attachment 838834
“I wish someone would rev things up. I gotta leave soon.”

Bring back the Bars again ... and again?

150th Anniversary Year 2020. So far we know - as things stand at this moment of posting - that our beloved Bars are to be worn in celebration ... once. For the home Showdown, Round 2. What about after that?

There are twenty more home and away matches to follow, more than half at Adelaide Oval. Then come the 2020 finals in which, so promises our desperate Senior Coach Ken No-Ken, we are going to participate en route to the MCG for the last match of the season. En route, so pledges No-Ken, to nothing less than a PAFC premiership flag.

Who’s to stop us from wearing the Bars more than once in 28 weeks of football - if No-Ken turns out to be right for once - during our 150th year?

We know damn well the answer to that.

Accordingly, let’s refresh. Let’s make sure we haven’t forgotten.

Let’s look back ten months and resurrect Tom Basso’s 15 May 2019 article in The Mongrel Punt.

View attachment 838835

WHY DOES EDDIE HOLD POWER OVER THE AFL?

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2019/2019/05/15/2019-05-15-eddiepower/

Excerpt, from paragraph 5 to 7 inclusive:

... Collingwood President Eddie McGuire, not the AFL, has again signalled his intention to block Port’s request to wear its iconic ‘prison bars’ jumper (that is similar but different to ... Collingwood’s) to celebrate the club’s 150th anniversary. The Power wish to wear the guernesy (sic) currently worn by its SANFL side, from next year (2020) onwards in Showdowns against the Adelaide Crows.

However, McGuire said that Port Adelaide need to come up with an alternative to the black and white prison bars that does not “offend” Collingwood such as changing the guernesy’s (sic) colours to teal and magenta. Port Adelaide finds this proposal disrespectful and will not consider it, despite McGuire claiming his proposal would “bring the clubs together” … by separating their colours?

Port Adelaide can rule out its dream of reviving the prison bars for all Showdowns effective next year (2020). Its best-case scenario is convincing McGuire to allow the jumper to be worn – just once – in its 150th anniversary season in 2020, in its home Showdown.

Excerpt, paragraph 11 to 13 inclusive:

... McGuire claims he has a deal in place with Port Adelaide and the AFL that gives Collingwood the rights over the jumper. But Port Adelaide has continually denied that such deal exists while it has just been tumbleweeds from the AFL on the matter.

Although, there may not be an official agreement per se, Collingwood and McGuire still ultimately hold the cards in the conflict. This is because “the AFL would prefer (McGuire) accept the concept rather than condemn and criticise it,” as The Advertiser’s Michelangelo Rucci told this author.

But at some point, AFL Chairman Richard Goyder or CEO Gillon McLachlan or anyone in a position of authority at the AFL surely need to stand up. It should not be that hard for the governing body to – well – govern?

Excerpt, paragraph 15:

... the CEO of McGuire’s JAM TV is Cos Cardone, a Port Adelaide board member, (and) it’d be interesting to see where he fits in the Power’s battle against McGuire.

Excerpt, paragraph 16, 18 and 19:

In a recent interview on SEN SA, McGuire threw the first grenades towards Alberton ... in that same interview, McGuire said “I don’t want to make it sound like they have to ask for our permission.”

Port Adelaide may not need to directly ask for McGuire’s permission but they will need his blessing for them to proceed as he clearly has a significant and ultimately overriding say on the affair.

Excerpt from paragraph 25 and 26:

... why exactly is Collingwood any different? More importantly, why should they get any special treatment?

... Then SANFL President Max Basheer was successfully able to con then-Collingwood President Allan McAlister over the phone into believing that Port Adelaide will always wear its prison bars jumper, even for away games against Collingwood.

Excerpt paragraph 31 and 32:

(Allan McAlister) “... I will reiterate to our board that if the Port Adelaide Football Club should succeed at ranking higher than the Collingwood Football Club for three consecutive years in the AFL then our objections will be waived.”

Port Adelaide ranked higher than Collingwood on its first five consecutive years ... 1997 to 2001. Meaning, Collingwood did not honour its agreement, and the prison bars remains as decisive an issue as it ever has been.

But what hope do Port Adelaide have when Eddie powers over the AFL?

Double act

What hope do we have? We have none ... or we have it all.

We have Eddie E.’s ‘man’ in our board room - the reality and unreality of which The Ed has brassily reminded us openly and often. The Ed broadcast the fact while miked-up for the cameras ... delivered it point-blank at our chairman, the incredible shrinking man, who during our Prison Bars crusade maintains a silent zero-passion profile and hovers like a ghost in the background.

Like a shadow in Eddie’s shadow.

View attachment 838876
I’ve got my man on the inside. Of course I’m going to get exactly what I want.”

Eddie’s plant on our board is as we speak sliding under the radar into an eighth year as a Port Adelaide Football Club director. He sits at the heart of the Club, listening to its beat, party to its intestinal rumblings, sifting through the entrails in search of something juicy to feed back to his handler. All the while, you might think, wondering how much longer should he keep up this double act of his.

Place and time to stop dodging and decide, Cos. Who’s it gonna be?

Eddie? Or us?

View attachment 838843
“I’ve got my eye on you, Cacciatori.”
Geez we need to piss him off fast. My BP just rose by about 50mmHg reading this LR 😡

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The man on the inside statement. Did McGuire really say that, and Koch not respond???

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
The E. did not say that exactly. It is a caption to the photoshopped image.

But the E. did indeed say that in other words.

And, yes, The David sat there like a ghost and put up zero fight.

What Cardone Must Do Now, Or Go.

Extract the following concessions from his employer Eddie McGuire and thus the AFL:

1. Agreement for Port Adelaide to wear the Prison Bars on Adelaide Oval for the first 2020 home match after the lifting of the COVID-19 ban on crowd attendance ... regardless of opposition identity.

2. This match is to be at prime time and nationally televised free-to-air.

3. This match is to generate international publicity, via a campaign that includes a media roadshow led by the AFL, as a historical beacon of human resilience, global unity, and Australian sporting significance.

4. The MG octagon to be nationally publicised as an icon of said human resilience, global unity and sporting significance.

5. Should 2020 AFL season be suspended at any juncture, immediately upon resumption of the season 1. to 4. above, inclusive, will apply.

6. There will be no unreasonable restriction placed upon Port Adelaide Football Club wearing the Prison Bars again thereafter, whether in season 2020 or any subsequent season.

7. Pull all this off, Cos - all of it, not one item less - you will have proved you do after all have the best interests of Port Adelaide at heart, not those of Eddie McGuire, and you can remain, having proved that you are after all a prime contributor to the Club’s marketing & brand on The World Stage, as a valued member of the PAFC board of directors.

8. Fail at this test, Cos - any part of it - you must then, immediately, resign as a PAFC director, and go.

Where does this thread stand today?
As at today this thread stands at page 2, 43 replies (now 44) and between 3k and 4k views.
Yes, I‘m being cute, but your question, as is, is too general for me to answer without going into detail that could, at this dodgy time, be rendered fake news tomorrow.
If you have a narrower, specific question, I will gladly answer it as best I can ... bearing in mind what I wrote at the end of the previous sentence.

As at today this thread stands at page 2, 43 replies (now 44) and between 3k and 4k views.
Yes, I‘m being cute, but your question, as is, is too general for me to answer without going into detail that could, at this dodgy time, be rendered fake news tomorrow.
If you have a narrower, specific question, I will gladly answer it as best I can ... bearing in mind what I wrote at the end of the previous sentence.

I guess my question is, will the club be able to continue with it's China strategy when all this crazy stuff is over. Considering the amount of xenophobia running through the Australian community atm

I guess my question is, will the club be able to continue with it's China strategy when all this crazy stuff is over. Considering the amount of xenophobia running through the Australian community atm
If xenophobia is the main issue, we are good.

Imagine the coverage if Port played an exhibition game in China a week or two before the 2020 season resumed.

A worldwide audience and headline.
100 million people watching and salivating for normality.
MG get 100x the coverage they would have expected.

I feel uncomfortable even suggesting the idea here knowing it will be pilfered by our interstate rivals.
Now more than ever, we need to embrace China.

And being a trial game, wear our Round 2 prisonbars.

We just need someone to underwrite it.

Current signs are that the China mission will be continued, in a remodelled format - more commercial orientated, a directional change that I have been advocating.
We have our man in Shanghai, safe for now, and we have our man on the Club board to take control of day-to-day operations (no pun).
As for in-between, in Andrew Hunter’s absence, I and my colleague/s are willing to re-engage and assist the Club thru the rest of this challenging period. Others will be identified and called to pitch in.
Xenophobia is out of our hands, but is something to remain aware of - worse, to be wary of. A more sophisticated style of communication, publicity and marketing will be needed to emphasise that this is all about the Club and its survival. Nay, not its survival ... its revival.
It’s not about national politics and point-scoring. It’s not about Trump. It’s about our Club.
When it comes to revenue, China where we have an advantage versus the other seventeen AFL clubs must be our main focus. Where else do we have such an essential advantage? MG proved that.
Same rationale applies to the AFL, whose support I am expecting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back